cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 Asus G750 JM's and now on second JS

dblkk
Level 7
Hey guys, I'm sure most of you hear have seen and heard my posts before. Mainly reguarding ridiculous temps while rendering. 100-105 c with thermal throttling on at least 2 cores.

Well, just and I mean just got my replacement JS model from amazon via ups.

Just signed into with live account and letting windows do its thing quick. Then will d/l intel extremem tuning utitlity, and stress test this, while I download sony vegas 12 pro and cyberlink powerdirector 12. Seeing as how all laptops before ran hot, yet acceptable during stress, it was the rendering that pushed high and throttling.

Fingers crossed, as this is Asus's last shot. And I really love just everything about this laptop. Just everything screams awesome. But if its going to run hot and throttle. I'm going msi route. I know that'll run hot and throttle, but at least ill get 4800 and 880m for the same issues.
54 REPLIES 54

dblkk
Level 7
Does anyone think it matters if I do all updates windows/asus first, or just run tests? I don't remember there being any update that helped or changed anything as far as cpu temps. Would I be correct?

dblkk wrote:
Does anyone think it matters if I do all updates windows/asus first, or just run tests? I don't remember there being any update that helped or changed anything as far as cpu temps. Would I be correct?

dblkk, it's not a bad idea to test before updating, just to get a set of baseline numbers. You may be surprised to discover some readings get better/worse as you update/upgrade, so testing at each major upgrade point might not be a bad idea.

Bgallodoro24
Level 7
Just got my jm yesterday. Just ran cpu 5min stress test and temp was stable between 72 & 75C.

dblkk
Level 7
on battery, balanced power mode, cpu max temps were 88-91c

via intel extreme tuning stress test

im def. glad i went with the 860.

dblkk wrote:
on battery, balanced power mode, cpu max temps were 88-91c
via intel extreme tuning stress test

What are idle temps? 0% idle.

dblkk
Level 7
plugged in on high performance setting, temps were 90-93c

also via intel extreme tuning stress test

Trying to do same thing on old laptop, but keep getting error while launching intel extreme tuning utility. Telling me there is already another performance tuning application running. This is upon first boot and there are no other programs running.

But I remember running these when I first got it to compare with my jm model, and they were about on par with what I got from my new one.

But im downloading cyberlink power director 12 ultimate right now. I'd do vegas first as that's the more intense one but that take a good 4 hours to download, this one is like 20 min.

But that is also the program I use most often, and the program that also (along with vegas) makes me throttle.

Bgallodoro24
Level 7
i was plugged in, performance mode. How long did you test for?

dblkk
Level 7
Ran 15 min test, but after about 2 min into it every time, temps were a pretty average 90c. All the way through the test.

I started off with 860m JM model, same issues. Plus I'm cpu extensive testing, nothing to do with graphics card, as that's on the other side of the laptop