cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get past Aptios Setup Utilities partition error using mini tool partition wizar

LENNYc77
Level 7
I used a Mini Tool kit And made a mistake, reboot and select proper boot device
Can someone please help me?! I'd be very GREATFUL! have the ROG G 85VX running Windows 8.1 64 bit. While I was using a mini tool wizard I either formatted a partition wrong or deleted some files because my notebook restarted and now I'm stuck in the Aptio Set up Utility. After several calls to support they think that my HDD is not affected Every time I boot it reads on a black screen "Reboot and select proper Boot device or insert Boot Media in selected device and press any key. Under the "boot tab" there is a "boot configuration" I configured it to launch PxE OpROM and then under Boot option#1 is Windows boot manager. Under option#2 is the DVD-RAM.. Then under the Security Tab I went down to secure Boot and went "disabled" and then I pressed F10 save and exit exit and reboot nothing happened, same screen.
13 REPLIES 13

Clintlgm
Level 14
Try the eightforums http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/14661-bootmgr-missing.html seem there may be a way to rebuild the boot manager

Mini tool did not cause the problem. If you deleted/damaged your boot partition you'll most likely need to clean install if a repair install can't rebuild it.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

LENNYc77
Level 7
I downloaded ToolKit Partition Wizard Bootable disk, I inserted the disk, I was still in the Aptio Setup Utility page and I made my Boot Option#1 DVD , I also enabled csm , and disabled the fast boot, went to the security tab and disabled the secure boot pressed F10 to save and exit and reboot at the same time spamming esc key and it brought me to a box that says " Please Select boot device:

Windows Boot Manager (P0: HGST HTS541010A9E680)
P2: HL- DT - ST DVDRAM GT70N
Enter Setup

LENNYc77
Level 7
I'm not sure which option to choose after reading about EUFI and how it works my mind was leaning towards Windows Boot Manager but since it's taken me 5 days just to get to this point I don't want to make another mistake cause I'll probably lose it after that.. Lol... I've spent a lot of time reading and learning about the differences between software and hardware and I'm kind of burnt. It's kind of an obsession to get this notebook going again. I don't know where I went wrong but I did. I just want to get back to where I was and out of the abyss.... I really appreciate your help sir.....

Well yea I would have gone for the windows boot manager. Once you get it to boot your window the first time you shouldn't have any further boot problems
Once you get it running again backup, create disk image so you can get back when bad things arise
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

I proceeded to go to the Boot Manager and windows started retrieving files and it brought me to another screen that said choose a language so naturally I chose the United States and navigated me to another blue screen that said "System Recovery Options" with a paragraph underneath stating This version of System Recovery Options is compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version. So my notebook came pre installed with Windows 8 and now I have Windows 8.1Pro I don't have a recovery disk for either one. So I called Asus support and requested my product key and they said that a request was sent out to Microsoft to send it to me by email but that was last Thur. Haven't had an email from Neither one of them yet. So I'm assuming that I need to research recovering my recovery Files from my HDD but I don't know how to locate my HDD and extract that file. So my question to you my friend is A.) Is it safe to say that I haven't deleted my partitions? And B.) Is there a way back to retrieving my files and restoring my notebook back to the way it was before "my" whole fiasco occurred? Lastly, will you "HELP" me or at the very least guide me in the direction towards self preservation??? I appreciate your time and efforts tremendously.... Yeah I know know that anything I ever do in the future is definitely going to backed up.. Recovery discs, installation disks the whole nine yards... I never make the same mistakes twice......

So If you have 8.1 Pro you should have gotten a Product Key with that? However to use you embedded key you will have to use a Window 8 core or OEM Disk or ISO. There are several embedded Key retrieval programs out there. Your Key is embedded on your motherboard not your hard drive.
Also you will have to boot your media UEFI As your original system came as UEFI GPT That was all explained in Rewbens thread using Rufus is the best way to create your usb install media.

1) Download and extract the Windows Product Key Viewer (you may skip step 1 & 2 if your laptop did not come pre-installed with Windows 8 and doesn't have a product key built into its BIOS)

2) Run pkeyui.exe by right clicking on it then choose Run As Administrator, then find your Windows 8 product key and write it down somewhere safe

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/18309-windows-8-windows-8-1-iso-download-create.html?filter
http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/31093-activate-retail-windows-8-1-windows-8-product-ke...
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

LENNYc77
Level 7
Well I would think so but it's apparently imbedded into the hard drive according to Asus support. They also said that they would email Microsoft and have Microsoft email me my product key, I also asked Asus support if they would send me so e recovery disk, again, apparently they don't exist. So I called Microsoft back and after 3 hrs back and fourth one of the tech managers remote accessed my desk top and made me a Windows 8 IOS and installation files and we inserted the disk and booted and I tried to system refresh and my system notified me that the driver that windows was in was locked. At that moment Microsoft indicated to me that they didn't have the tools to unlock that driver. I don't know which driver it is so I'm nor sure what to do. Maybe change my EUFI settings or change the boot order on the BIOS. I thought I was in.... Everything looked good as gold until we tried to save all my files before we did a system repair... So again...I'm at a dead end once again... So frustrated I feel like throwing the damn thing against the wall but I still have faith in correcting this dilemma.... Cont.... I was told by Microsoft that I didn't need my product key because it's already in my HDD. So that's a positive....

Once again, I greatly appreciate all of your time and cooperation.. I just wanted to be detailed of what has happened and now I'm going to follow Rewben's thread and advice. I actually thoroughly read that whole thread a couple days ago and actually have Rufus ready to go in case I needed that option... Wish me luck..... Round 10 lol...

Yea Lenny if you damaged your recovery partition your pretty much going to have to clean Install, or the Dreaded RMA. You should be able to get your data off the disk by externally USB connecting to another computer.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro