cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with buying a g74sx

Retired
Not applicable
Hello people,
i'm trying to order this computer for 3 weeks already but can't choose one because of lack of knowledge.

so far I have 2 models in my list.

G74SX-A1 - and upgrade it for 16GB ram.

or,

G74SX-XT1 - and upgrade it to 16GB ram and add a 120GB SDD as primary HD and move the 500GB HD to the secondary slot.

my questions are:
1. Is it possible install an SSD as primary HD instead of the 500GB one? (I already read in this forum that people do it but i wanna be sure).
* If yes, I would like to get an article of how to do it if possible. thanks.

2. Is the G74SX-XT1 comes with a gaming backpack and mouse? I couldn't find any answer for that in the internet. can somebody who bought this model confirm that please?

I have a guy in the U.S who can send me this laptop but i have to be sure for 100% that i know what i'm ordering.

Thanks for everybody who can help me.
3 REPLIES 3

dstrakele
Level 14
Hi Carmona - as I see it, the A1 is an XT1 with 2 750 GB HDD's instead of 1 500 GB HDD, plus a backpack case and a gaming mouse.

1) It is possible to install an SSD as the primary drive. If that is your goal, you want the XT1 (unless you're interested in having a spare 750 GB HDD lying around). The A1 already has both HDD drive bays filled.

2) In the Circuit City ad, no backpack or mouse are mentioned for the XT1. The A1 ad incudes these items. I purchased a G74SX-A1 from Amazon and can verify it comes with bacpack and mouse.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

JRd1st
Level 12
.... and if you decide to buy it from Amazon, keep an eye on the price. It fluctuates. 😉
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

I just might add my question here too...
Still having the "order" button on hold for a perhaps better equipped and equally priced G74SX as promised. But anyway...

If the model is equipped with 1 HDD, can I just throw another HDD/SSD there, or do I have to get some flat cables/frame to fill the other HDD bay?

And one more question, I already have an SSD for the machine, Kingston HyperX 120gb sata-III, anyone had any problems with this one? Yeah its the infamous sandforce 2xxx...

Thx for any answers.

-Symb
*** G74SX-TZ226V (European model) | Kingston HyperX SSD 120gb Sata-III
"STOCK" BIOS 202 (If it's not broken, why fix it.) *** <- Sold 😞