cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XTU 4.4.0.4 causing CPU Thermal Throttling on G750JX

Magnetone
Level 7
HI fellow G750jx users,

thanks to hmscott i was able to solve a very critical Thermal Throttling issue whilst benchmarking with the Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility.

As it seems the versions newer than 4.2.0.8 have an additional feature called "Power Limit Throttling" which could be causing that strange behaviour.

XTU 4.4.0.4 Stress Test (5 minutes) causes the i7 in our g70jx to unexpectetly activate thermal throttling without even reaching crititcal temperatures like 90° or higher:

XTU 4.2.0.8 Stress Test (5 minutes) in turn shows no sign of Thermal Throttling at all:

Thanks again to hmscott for being such a good help to all of us. I was about to open that thing, google for repaste guides, heatsink optmization and what not ;).

Moral of the Story: Don't always expect the worst. It could just be just one piece of software or driver.

Regards,

Max
17 REPLIES 17

HomieOC
Level 7
is it easy to overclock? How? im afraid lol of overclocking the cpu.. my gpu is overclocked

hmscott
Level 12
Magnetone wrote:
HI fellow G750jx users,
...Max

Max, so glad that was discovered, I hope everyone that reads this, and is running XTU 4.4.0.4, checks to make sure they aren't getting throttled too.

To test, start up XTU, and run the 5 minute stress test, look at the CPU Throttling meter and see if you are throttling - normal throttling only happens at 90c plus, but 4.4.0.4 on the G750JX is throttling at 80c, perhaps less, which is cutting into your performance.

The G750JH is ok with XTU 4.4.0.4, at least mine is, but 2 G750JX users have seen this, throttling.

If anyone with another model G750 sees throttling during the 5 minute stress test, please post here so we know which other models are affected.

senttel
Level 7
Hello,

So my G750JW throttles at reasonably low temperature 80-85 really have no idea why, this did not used to happen few months ago, however it did used to throttle but when my CPU wasn't undervolted now it is -120 undervolted and been like that for 2 months. This is a screenshot of stress test, with whatever version previous 4.4.0.4 XTU however same happens after I updated XTU to 4.4.0.4. I mean throttling at 85c is ridiculous right?

senttel wrote:
Hello,

So my G750JW throttles at reasonably low temperature 80-85 really have no idea why, this did not used to happen few months ago, however it did used to throttle but when my CPU wasn't undervolted now it is -120 undervolted and been like that for 2 months. This is a screenshot of stress test, with whatever version previous 4.4.0.4 XTU however same happens after I updated XTU to 4.4.0.4. I mean throttling at 85c is ridiculous right?

senttel, click on the Intel logo on the XTU app, and it will tell you the version number. It looks like some Asus G750's don't like the XTU versions past 4.2.0.8, and cause the G750 to throttle - not thermal throttle, just throttle.

Try uninstalling XTU you have, and download XTU 4.2.0.8 and test it again.

Please come back and let us know if that does or does not stop the throttling

senttel
Level 7
Hi hmscott,

Yes it does happen with XTU 4.2.0.8 as well, at the same temps 80-85c.. any ideas why this could b happening? Thermal throttling at 85c is just unacceptable.

senttel wrote:
Hi hmscott,

Yes it does happen with XTU 4.2.0.8 as well, at the same temps 80-85c.. any ideas why this could b happening? Thermal throttling at 85c is just unacceptable.

senttel, try uninstalling XTU completely, reboot, and run prime95 8 threads, while monitoring with hwinfo64, sensors only, and watch the thermal throttling columns listed in hwinfo64

Just did a 5min test with the latest version XTU on my new JX.

Ambient temps are about 24c here. Max CPU temp was 86c, and apparently no throttling.

If anyone wants a screen shot, or to do another test, lemme know.

Wiggs wrote:
Just did a 5min test with the latest version XTU on my new JX.

Ambient temps are about 24c here. Max CPU temp was 86c, and apparently no throttling.

If anyone wants a screen shot, or to do another test, lemme know.

Wiggs, that is a surprise, and good news 🙂

I wonder why some JX's are throttling on 4.4.0.4... what BIOS version do you have installed? Are you still on Windows 8, or have you upgraded to Windows 8.1?

Well, well. Just done the same test again, and it's throttling.

It definitely didn't do it first time around! Wish I'd taken a screen shot.

My BIOS is 209. It could have been since I upgraded to 8.1. Not sure, but I haven't really changed anything else. Just the NVidia driver, and a shed load of Windows updates inc 8.1.