Questions (retired) [updated in new thread]

oops title typo, meant z97 boards. Well I found what I was looking for and its what I have. Someone kick intel in the rear and make em stop working on graphics and back to stuff we can use so I can upgrade.

Started a new thread: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...409#post405409

For reference:

If you go to the older asus maximus forums you can see my issues with me being the only one replying as I trouble shoot my issues with the GTX 780 / 780 TI.

I decided my option is to upgrade. So some questions. (I did some research but its unclear or vague some of this stuff)

First what I don't need/want:

-M.2
    -SLI/Crossfire
    -100 USB/Sata ports
    -UEFI with legacy BIOS support
    -Legacy connectors like dsub for integrated video or IDE Drive connections (Lol, personal pet peeve)

What I do want:

-Solid LAN
    -Asus X-tras they provide in software
    -mATX profile
    -Solid Components/OC potentials
    -New Haswell K refresh Support (z87 compatible?)
    -UEFI fast boot compatible with the GTX 780 Ti (I'm using win 8.1)
    -Intel SATA3/6 Raid with TRIM for my old crucial M4's. (2x256GB)
    -Extra Intel SATA 3/6 for a 500 GB drive (Just want to disable any non Intel SATA onboard, so just need 3 Intel SATA 3 or 6 connectors)
    -The USB3 Speedboost using the improved method of transfer protocol (I'm using win 8.1)
    -Plenty of 4 pin fan connections.
    -Dual BIOS wanted more than a USB flashback option
    -The discrete audio is a nice perk on this board but honestly I usually game without sound, I don't even have speakers hooked up right now) None the less it is considered in my decision and would like feedback on how it performs)

so could you suggest a board, even if its another Asus model?

I could do without the Ramdisk utility it seems recently released. I love the idea but I hear win 7/8 does an ok job caching this naturally and I'm gonna reuse my 4x4GB sticks. (see below for caveat) Maybe when Motherboards support more than 32GB and I can fit a whole game in there with room for OS overhead I will be more interested or if it had some advanced caching for games (from what I read its just like a physical drive)

About the 4x4GB: I see that maybe buying 1 16GB DIMM might boost my system does this help increase CPU OC's?. Faster memory has differing opinions about performance. But it does make me curious. Would this be better than a dual channel solution? Can anyone elaborate a bit on this. (seems quad channel dropped from my old model when I migrate up)

I will be using 8.1 with 'Start is Back' Booting straight to desktop. Metro is rarely seen (not sure of impact on asus utility software) I don't want to see metro or whatever they call it now anymore than I have to.

Any things I don't know about or should think about in the upgrade? Input greatly appreciated. Eventually I would like to upgrade to a 4k screen if it makes a difference.

Extreme thanks to anyone willing to spend a few minutes on opinions, even if it only addresses part of the post.
    Last edited by kizh; 05-31-2014 at 10:06 AM.

The Gryphon (mATX) or Hero, if it doesn't need to be mATX, might be reasonable options going forward. I don't know of anything that has exactly all the stuff you want and none of the things you don't, but I would go with a z97 rather than a z87 board.

yes, I was just looking at the gryphon with tuff armor. I could swear it didn't have the armor option a week ago or when I checked last. Looks like a solid board.

yes, I was just looking at the gryphon with tuff armor. I could swear it didn't have the armor option a week ago or when I checked last. Looks like a solid board.
    I think the armor is optional and must be purchased separately.

looks like its included. I think it just came out maybe.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/GRY...ARMOR_EDITION/

I guess the Maximus VII Gene is more than your looking for? Consider the the Z97M-PLUS as well, If you're looking to save a couple more bucks (still a nice board).

Gene beats it hands down in my opinion after researching. Gonna wait a bit though, found out my issues weren't with my old board. There's few things worth blowing money on, best computer components are one when it comes time to buy

imMortal Kombatant Array Myk SilentShadow PC Specs
    Myk SilentShadow PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Rampage IV Formula
    ProcessorIntel i7 3930K
    Memory (part number)8GB Corsair XMS3 1600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Radeon 7970 3GD5
    Sound CardROG Xonar Phoebus
    MonitorSamsung SyncMaster SA300
    Storage #1Corsair Neutron 128GB
    Storage #2Seagate 2TB
    CPU CoolerCorsair A50 Pro Air Cooler
    CaseBitFenix Merc Alpha
    Power SupplyThermaltake Litepower 700W
    Keyboard Alienware TactX Keyboard
    Mouse Tesoro Gandiva H1L
    OS Win7 Ultimate x64

If you want more than 32GB of RAM supported, buy either a RIVE or the RIV Black Edition....though these are X79 boards, X99(coming very soon) i'm sure will support 64GB too.

they got more slots? At first I thought it was a design limitation, then realized its cause we can only get 8GB dimms? gonna check it out, even though holding off a while longer. Thanks

back

ok I want. 64GB memory? where do I hawk my kidney
    Last edited by kizh; 05-31-2014 at 11:47 AM.