cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions (retired) [updated in new thread]

kizh
Level 7
oops title typo, meant z97 boards. Well I found what I was looking for and its what I have. Someone kick intel in the rear and make em stop working on graphics and back to stuff we can use so I can upgrade.

Started a new thread: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?47794-Maximus-VII-Gene-vs.-Gryphon-Z97-Armor-Edition&p=4054...

For reference:

If you go to the older asus maximus forums you can see my issues with me being the only one replying as I trouble shoot my issues with the GTX 780 / 780 TI.

I decided my option is to upgrade. So some questions. (I did some research but its unclear or vague some of this stuff)

First what I don't need/want:

-M.2
-SLI/Crossfire
-100 USB/Sata ports
-UEFI with legacy BIOS support
-Legacy connectors like dsub for integrated video or IDE Drive connections (Lol, personal pet peeve)

What I do want:

-Solid LAN
-Asus X-tras they provide in software
-mATX profile
-Solid Components/OC potentials
-New Haswell K refresh Support (z87 compatible?)
-UEFI fast boot compatible with the GTX 780 Ti (I'm using win 8.1)
-Intel SATA3/6 Raid with TRIM for my old crucial M4's. (2x256GB)
-Extra Intel SATA 3/6 for a 500 GB drive (Just want to disable any non Intel SATA onboard, so just need 3 Intel SATA 3 or 6 connectors)
-The USB3 Speedboost using the improved method of transfer protocol (I'm using win 8.1)
-Plenty of 4 pin fan connections.
-Dual BIOS wanted more than a USB flashback option
-The discrete audio is a nice perk on this board but honestly I usually game without sound, I don't even have speakers hooked up right now) None the less it is considered in my decision and would like feedback on how it performs)

so could you suggest a board, even if its another Asus model?

I could do without the Ramdisk utility it seems recently released. I love the idea but I hear win 7/8 does an ok job caching this naturally and I'm gonna reuse my 4x4GB sticks. (see below for caveat) Maybe when Motherboards support more than 32GB and I can fit a whole game in there with room for OS overhead I will be more interested or if it had some advanced caching for games (from what I read its just like a physical drive)

About the 4x4GB: I see that maybe buying 1 16GB DIMM might boost my system does this help increase CPU OC's?. Faster memory has differing opinions about performance. But it does make me curious. Would this be better than a dual channel solution? Can anyone elaborate a bit on this. (seems quad channel dropped from my old model when I migrate up)

I will be using 8.1 with 'Start is Back' Booting straight to desktop. Metro is rarely seen (not sure of impact on asus utility software) I don't want to see metro or whatever they call it now anymore than I have to.

Any things I don't know about or should think about in the upgrade? Input greatly appreciated. Eventually I would like to upgrade to a 4k screen if it makes a difference.

Extreme thanks to anyone willing to spend a few minutes on opinions, even if it only addresses part of the post.
8 REPLIES 8

IM2L844
Level 12
The Gryphon (mATX) or Hero, if it doesn't need to be mATX, might be reasonable options going forward. I don't know of anything that has exactly all the stuff you want and none of the things you don't, but I would go with a z97 rather than a z87 board.

kizh
Level 7
yes, I was just looking at the gryphon with tuff armor. I could swear it didn't have the armor option a week ago or when I checked last. Looks like a solid board.

IM2L844
Level 12
yes, I was just looking at the gryphon with tuff armor. I could swear it didn't have the armor option a week ago or when I checked last. Looks like a solid board.

I think the armor is optional and must be purchased separately.

looks like its included. I think it just came out maybe.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/GRYPHON_Z97_ARMOR_EDITION/

IM2L844
Level 12
I guess the Maximus VII Gene is more than your looking for? Consider the the Z97M-PLUS as well, If you're looking to save a couple more bucks (still a nice board).

Gene beats it hands down in my opinion after researching. Gonna wait a bit though, found out my issues weren't with my old board. There's few things worth blowing money on, best computer components are one when it comes time to buy 🙂

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
If you want more than 32GB of RAM supported, buy either a RIVE or the RIV Black Edition....though these are X79 boards, X99(coming very soon) i'm sure will support 64GB too.

kizh
Level 7
they got more slots? At first I thought it was a design limitation, then realized its cause we can only get 8GB dimms? gonna check it out, even though holding off a while longer. Thanks

back

ok I want. 64GB memory? where do I hawk my kidney