M.2 PCiE Installation problem

naimadx
Level 7
Hi all,

I just put together a new build:-

Hero VII Mobo
Plextor M6e Series 256GB PCI Express Internal Solid State Drive PX-AG256M6e
i7-4770k

Everything works fine except for the Plextor, it works when I connect it to a PCie slot, but not when i remove the m.2 chip and install it directly on the m.2 connector on the mobo.

Is there some setting in the BIOS i should change for it to be recognized when connected on the board directly, or does it just not work with this board or am i not getting the installation right (just plug in and fasten down afaik

Please help, thanks. 🙂
34 REPLIES 34

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
What does it say in the Manual for your board?

naimadx
Level 7
Nothing to be honest, has all the good stuff about over clocking and the bios features but not much else except which pcie 1x ports are disabled with the m.2 installed.

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Was there any kind of manual that came with the card? right now, very few people are using the cards. So any help is going to be very limited. I would assume it'd just be plug and play, you may have to see if Plextor has a Forum and ask them for help, or visit their Support site for info.

naimadx
Level 7
nuh, no manual. It's just plug and play, firmware built in etc etc

IM2L844
Level 12
Well, you've voided your Plextor warranty and there is no performance benefit from plugging it directly into the M.2 slot, so I'm curious why you're trying to do this.

IM2L844 wrote:
Well, you've voided your Plextor warranty and there is no performance benefit from plugging it directly into the M.2 slot, so I'm curious why you're trying to do this.

Actually mate, he hasn't voided his warranty. It looks like the M.2 portion of this drive is made to be removed...possibly to allow upgrade potential.

naimadx: Have you tried going to Advanced ---> Onboard devices and set PCIeX4_3 to M.2 mode?

Found that in the manual 😛

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
Actually mate, he hasn't voided his warranty. It looks like the M.2 portion of this drive is made to be removed...possibly to allow upgrade potential.

naimadx: Have you tried going to Advanced ---> Onboard devices and set PCIeX4_3 to M.2 mode?

Found that in the manual 😛

Silent shadow, that worked. Honestly I never gave it a thought to change that since it was on auto. Thanks alot chief. At least now we know what to do if someone else has the problem when M.2's become a bit more popular/mainstream.

IM2L884, yup removing it from the adapter voids the warranty, although it isn't really that difficult to remove and replace without it looking like you did. The sticker doesn't rip off as one would expect. >_>
I got the card and just had to use the slot, just cuz it was there. No real reason to buy it, just because I had the extra money and wanted to try.

My build
Case: Obsidian 750D
CPU: I7-4770k
Memory: Corsair Vengance Pro 2400Mhz 32Gb
GPU: GTX 770
Cooling: H100i push pull, mounted up top as exhaust
Storage: A random 2 terrabyte I had in my previous PC which was an X58 build 😞
Other: Samsung 840 ssd from previous pc
PSU: Corsair CX750M from previous PC

I know it looks bad, and seems I spent way too much. The truth is I don't upgrade that often and when I do, I'm usually good for a couple of years.
I use my pc to run oil well modeling software like landmark in a win xp virtual machine. Some video editing, that sort of thing.

Again, silentshadow and im2l844, I really appreciate you guys taking the time to make suggestions and help. If there are any tests you would like me to run for benchmarking sake, feel free to ask and I shall do. 🙂

IM2L844 wrote:
I was just going by what they had to say about it at The SSD Review:

"If one purchases the drive with [PCIe] adapter, there is a security sticker over the fastening screw that will void the warranty should it be damaged in any way."

Well that's just bloody retarded, why make something with a component that can be removed and then slap a warranty void if removed sticker on it. That kinda idiocy defies most logic.

"Ok, we're gonna sell x product. It's going to have x part removable for compatibility with motherboards that have this new feature and just for the hell of it, we're gonna stick a warranty void if removed sticker on it"

naimadx wrote:
Silent shadow, that worked. Honestly I never gave it a thought to change that since it was on auto. Thanks alot chief. At least now we know what to do if someone else has the problem when M.2's become a bit more popular/mainstream.

IM2L884, yup removing it from the adapter voids the warranty, although it isn't really that difficult to remove and replace without it looking like you did. The sticker doesn't rip off as one would expect. >_>
I got the card and just had to use the slot, just cuz it was there. No real reason to buy it, just because I had the extra money and wanted to try.

My build
Case: Obsidian 750D
CPU: I7-4770k
Memory: Corsair Vengance Pro 2400Mhz 32Gb
GPU: GTX 770
Cooling: H100i push pull, mounted up top as exhaust
Storage: A random 2 terrabyte I had in my previous PC which was an X58 build 😞
Other: Samsung 840 ssd from previous pc
PSU: Corsair CX750M from previous PC

I know it looks bad, and seems I spent way too much. The truth is I don't upgrade that often and when I do, I'm usually good for a couple of years.
I use my pc to run oil well modeling software like landmark in a win xp virtual machine. Some video editing, that sort of thing.

Again, silentshadow and im2l844, I really appreciate you guys taking the time to make suggestions and help. If there are any tests you would like me to run for benchmarking sake, feel free to ask and I shall do. 🙂

Hey no worries at all mate, sometimes a new pair of eyes can be of some small use 🙂

And yes, I would loooove to see a screen shot of the drive run under benchmark, Crystal Disk Mark, or, ATTO :cool: please Sir

IM2L844
Level 12
I was just going by what they had to say about it at The SSD Review:

"If one purchases the drive with [PCIe] adapter, there is a security sticker over the fastening screw that will void the warranty should it be damaged in any way."

I suppose he may have been very careful. In any event, I was just curious to know the reasoning so I might learn something I was unaware of. I think it's interesting.

BTW, I'm totally on board with the "Just because it's there" as a perfectly valid reason.