cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAM Issues

Neff08
Level 7
Hello,

Im new to this forum and have come here for help. I recently built my computer and I am having a RAM issue.

windows 7 home premium 64-bit
AMD FX-8350
Crosshair V Formula-Z Mobo
G.SKILL Sniper Series RAM 2x4gb F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR
Evga Geforce 760 Superclocked 2gb
Kingston Hyper X and PNY SSD
2 TB WD HDD

My problem is that no matter if my BIOS is in AUTO mode or DOCP and I manually set the correct speed to 1866 and correct timings and voltage through XMP profile, windows is reading my memory as single channel only and that i have 3.90 available. Its acting like i have 32 bit software when i do not. Asus tech has been trying to help but to no avail and G.SKILL said ram is compatible and that i should reinstall windows to see if it picks it up correctly.

Any help would be great as doing the simplest tasks on my computer puts my ram at over 75% usage.
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z
CPU: FX-8350
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 1866 MHz
GPU: Evga GeForce GTX 760 Superclocked
PSU: Evga SuperNova G2 850w
Case: Coolmaster Haf-XB
11 REPLIES 11

TheNerdBench
Level 10
Greetings and welcome to the Asus ROG Forum,

Hold off on re-installing Windows for a bit.

Going to ask a dumb question here...is the BIOS reporting that both modules have been detected and that you have a total of 8GB? If not it is very possible that one of the memory modules is not installed correctly as I'm not a fan of the single ejector pin memory module used on this motherboard. In other words memory module install issues are a common problem with this board.

If you have already checked this then I would suggest install one memory module at a time in various memory slots. It also may be a good idea to run memtest86 to test the memory. BTW: It is very possible that the memory modules run fine one at a time but when both memory modules are install together problems creep up.

Sorry for the long explanation...please post back with more questions or what the problem turned out to be.

[/HR]
For trouble-shooting tips see my blog at:

[/HR]
http://thenerdbench.blogspot.com/p/bench-testing.html

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

Detection
Level 10
Check that you have it set to "Ganged Mode" that is Dual Channel (Unganged is single) it's not in the RAM section weirdly, least not on the non-Z version of your board

And check that Memory Hole Remapping and Physical Address Extensions are enabled
MOBO - Crosshair V Formula
CPU - AMD FX-8350 @ 4.8GHz
COOLER - Corsair H100i / MX-4
RAM - 12GB G.Skill RIPJAWS X @ 2133MHz
GPU - XFX R9 295X2 8GB
HDD - 2TB Seagate
PSU - Corsair TX950W
CASE - Coolermaster HAF 922
OS - Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Do you have your RAM installed in both red slots?

Neff08
Level 7
Thanks everyone for giving me insight to my problem. BIOS does indeed detect that both modules are being recognized as 4 gig sticks. The main screen in BIOS says that I only have 4 gigs of total memory. I did run memtest86 and it found no errors and i did try both sticks in every slot and they were recognized. I had reinstalled windows on my computer before I posted this and still have the same issue, only 3.90 of my RAM is usable.

Detection,
I did switch my RAM to ganged mode in the north bridge configuration and i still have the same issue. Memory hole remapping is also enabled but i cannot find the physical address extensions, doing that now.

SilentShadow, my RAM is installed in both of the red slots as well.

Here are some pictures from my bios and the properties of my computer

Detection
Level 10
Ok so the dual channel issue (Ganged) will not fix itself until the BIOS recognises both sticks of RAM, you can't have dual channel with 1 stick / uneven number of sticks

Have you tried resetting the BIOS / Clearing CMOS by removing the CMOS battery for a while (30 seconds without the mains lead connected should do it)

EDIT - Try dropping the RAM speed down to 1333MHz and see if it recognises it
GPU - XFX R9 295X2 8GB
HDD - 2TB Seagate
PSU - Corsair TX950W

Neff08
Level 7
Detection

Did everything you suggested and its still being read as single channel. Both sticks are securely locked into the red slots on my motherboard. I did remove the battery without the leads being connected and cleared CMOS. I tried to drop my speed down but the lowest setting I can manually and automatically set is 1600 mhz.

Detection
Level 10
You can manually lower the FSB (Bus speed) to get lower RAM speeds, but you'll need to up the CPU multiplier to get your CPU back up to speed again, and NB / HTLink will need manually increasing again

Have you tried setting OCing to "Manual" instead of DOCP / Profiles ?

And setting everything up 100% manually ? Specifically the RAM speed / Voltage and timings ?

You'll see the timings and voltage on the side of the actual RAM if you need them

There should be a "GO BUTTON" button on your board too, (Top right on mine) try hitting that while its powered on, it should reset the machine

Other than that, you could try flashing an older BIOS version and see if that sorts it

I`ll update this thread if I come across anything else

I will however suggest you register on "http://forums.guru3d.com" the guys on that forum will tell you if you have a hardware or settings problem
GPU - XFX R9 295X2 8GB
HDD - 2TB Seagate
PSU - Corsair TX950W

I had the same exact problem once.

The only way to fix it is to take the memory out of the mother board and then place them back in. Try using the black slots (honestly don't think it matters) and then reset the BIOS on first boot up.

In my case one of the memory sticks was not in right so the motherboard was only detecting one of the sticks on posting memory and once I was in Windows as well. After I pulled them out and put them back in everything was fine.

TheNerdBench
Level 10
Also make sure that the ECC setting in the BIOS is set for disabled...this was pointed out by another forum member that for some reason this option is enabled by default.

[/HR]
For trouble-shooting tips see my blog at:

[/HR]
http://thenerdbench.blogspot.com/p/bench-testing.html

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]