cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Power4Gear Hybrid low perf on Battery?

Hitchy
Level 7
Hey guys,

i noticed on my g750JW that when on battery gaming performance becomes very bad. Even when activating the PERFORMANCE option in Power4Gear Hybrid and setting all the advanced options to max performance i still get fps drops and stuttering/freezes while gaming on battery compared to what I get when on AC.

I vre read somewhere that it has something to do with the Bios / UEFI version? Is there an update which is safe to install?

I just got my ASUS G750JW 3 weeks ago and the only updates i ve done so far are GPU / Sound Card and Windows 8.

What are ur advices dear friends!
1 REPLY 1

hmscott
Level 12
Hitchy wrote:
Hey guys,

i noticed on my g750JW that when on battery gaming performance becomes very bad. Even when activating the PERFORMANCE option in Power4Gear Hybrid and setting all the advanced options to max performance i still get fps drops and stuttering/freezes while gaming on battery compared to what I get when on AC.

I vre read somewhere that it has something to do with the Bios / UEFI version? Is there an update which is safe to install?

I just got my ASUS G750JW 3 weeks ago and the only updates i ve done so far are GPU / Sound Card and Windows 8.

What are ur advices dear friends!

Hitchy, the G750JW/JX/JH/JM/JS/JZ can't do heavy duty gaming on battery.

The Nvidia GTX GPU's require lots of power to do the high performance processing. The battery doesn't have the endless capacity that the AC power provides, so the Nvidia GPU has to shutdown most of the processing on battery, which causes the low performance on battery.

The Intel GPU active in the JM/JS/JZ can't handle high FPS on most games, on battery or AC power, so they can't really game well on battery either.

You can find games, or settings in games, that will provide adequate gaming on battery, but it won't be the games you bought the G750 Nvidia GPU to run.

I would recommend uninstalling Power4Gear, which will keep putting the battery saving power plan in action when moving to battery. Instead set the Power Plan to High Performance, or Balanced (what I use) manually, and it will stay on that during Battery and AC operation - within each plan you can set the mode for many settings to run either on battery or AC.

The first BIOS's on the JW/JX/JH had a throttle on the CPU, limiting it to 799mhz on battery - but if you flash the current BIOS offered in the download area for your model, it won't have that throttle, and you can use the High Power Plan to force the CPU to 100% speed all the time.

On battery I would recommend setting the Power plan MaxCPU to 99% to disable Turbo mode - to increase run time on battery. So it will spin up faster than 799mhz, up to 2.4ghz, which will not seem laggy for most things, but doesn't blow past on up to 3.6ghz (if you have XTU running) and burn battery time unnecessarily.

But if you want highest performance on battery, then leave the MaxCPU at 100%

Let us know how it works out for you 🙂