cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G73JH-BST7 - Processor question

Cervani
Level 7
I got a bead on the G73 listed in the title for $750. This, to me, seems a beyond comparable deal, but I have a question about the processor.

This version of the G73 uses the i7-740QM. I'm curious as to how the 740qm performs alongside the 2630qm in regards to gaming performance. I personally have two laptops in mind. One is an Acer with the i7-2630QM with a GT 540M card. The other is the G73 with i7-740QM and the ATI 5870. Both are the same price. The current games I play (Bad Company 2, WoW, FFXIV, EVE Online, with games like BF3 and Guild Wars 2 in the future) never seem to put much strain on my desktop CPU (i5 2500k) but I know mobile cpus are very different.

In short, the G73 blows the Acer out of the water in regards to everything (memory, screen size, HDD space, video card) except for the processor. Is it worth to get the G73, and have possible CPU bottlenecks? Or will the 740QM be adequate for most games that are coming out in the forseeable future?
G73JH - BST7 BIOS 213
3 REPLIES 3

Yahooligan
Level 7
Personally, I'd go with the G73. The 740QM will do fine for just about everything. The biggest drawback to that Acer is the GT 540M card, it's nowhere near the card the Mobility 5870 is, not even in the same class.

FWIW, I haven't been able to completely max out the 2630QM in my G74. Been able to use 100% of a single core, but for MT-enable apps I've never maxed out all the cores. 🙂
--
Yahooligan
ASUS G74SX-XR1 :cool:

irdmoose
Level 10
I have the G73JW wit the 740QM, and it's an awesome processor. The only difference between the 2630QM is the smaller die size and the sandybridge chipset AFAIK. Of course the 2630QM uses less juice, but in the 73 the screen eats the most power anyway. The only thing I wish I could figure out how to do is disable HyperThreading.

Alright, provided the cheapy G73 stays in stock until thursday night... I'll soon be the proud owner of said G73 heh.
G73JH - BST7 BIOS 213