cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4770k maximus ranger z97

zipain
Level 7
Hey folks! I have bought new motherboard and CPU as I wanted more speed and full advantage of my SLi setup.

Currently I achieved 4.4ghz at 1.225V(Manual mode) And have not crashed as long as I used manual mode. But of course with haswell I want to take advantage of the low frequency and low power consumption, when i just surf the net!

Therefor I have been testing adaptive mode, first it ran okay when I set max turbo offset to 1.225V but after a short while when i started some testing, it crashed. Then i went 1.230V worked, after a short, crashed. Now I am on 1.235V and its been stable, doing multiple things with no crash, and in a none avx instruction testing environment my max temps have been 62 to 65 Celsius MAX. But sadly it crashed again after some gaming... Am I missing something about adaptive mode since it needs much more power to be stable than manual mode...?

Now thats what i want and I feel good about my chip, atleast personal experience, this chip is better than any I have ever owned in my entire life, always been unlucky, my 3570k never did above 4.2ghz stable unless I fed it insane amounts of Vcore.

Anyways, my real question now is, is there any other way than using adaptive mode to achieve the high power when needed and low power when just doing surfing? Problem is, some programs I use overrides the vcore and adds 0.1V thansk to adaptive mode. And it's kinda making me scared that, that can even happen, atm. ever since I OC'ed I constantly keep an eye on my cpu/temps/vcore etc. as I am afriad it will happen again! And I would prefer to use my second screen for other things than monitoring my cpu!

Overall, I find adaptive mode the worst invention yet, in overclocking. Of all the things I have tried.

Please help!

Best regards!
2 REPLIES 2

zipain
Level 7
Really nothing els I can do??

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Adaptive mode works fine for both the CPU and Cache voltages. I would suggest reading the guide linked below Raja posted for the 6 series boards paying particular attention to the CPU voltage and LLC modes.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33488-Maximus-VI-Series-UEFI-Guide-for-Overclocking&country...