cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M.2 Is already dead, say hello to G.Skill's Phoenix Blade

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/38195/g-skill-s-new-960gb-pcie-based-ssd-is-capable-of-1-8gb-sec-reads...

Yep, i've already called the death toll on M.2. The above named card is a PCIe SSD that runs on a PCIe 2.0 X8 slot!!! :cool:
17 REPLIES 17

jab383
Level 13
On most motherboards, we'd have to spend a PCIE3 slot to get the x8 lanes and that would cut into the x16 lanes for video. I think this is an advance, but needs as much advance in MB configuration as the M.2 imposes on us.

Jeff

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Ummm what? PCIe 2.0 is capable of putting out 8 lanes, why would we need to use a PCIe 3 slot?

Antronman
Level 10
Get shrekd

http://www.solidstateworks.com/iofx.asp?gclid=CjkKEQjw5LWcBRCeh8uUlqqluN4BEiQAfr64cGQUvTaaaibEGRii1I...
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

I'm not inclined to be so hasty. We're in the beginnings of an unprecedented confluence of simultaneous technological phase transitions. I sort of expect the catch 22 of lane allocation that M.2 is currently stuck in to be reassessed out of necessity over the next couple of cycles. Maybe I'm all wet, but I think it might be worth waiting a season or two longer before calling it one way or the other. In any case, that Phoenix Blade looks pretty awesome. It's looking a bit like a different form of the Thunderbolt vs. USB dilemma revisited. Who will come out on top?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yeah, a few PCIe SSDs coming....M2 and sata express were dead before they launched....PCIe is the way to go...just need more lanes on the CPU...

http://ocz.com/consumer/revodrive-350-pcie-ssd

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Actually I just realised we don't need more lanes...x16x16x8 is possible now...so I won't be doing the M2 shuffle or the sata express waltz...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Actually I just realised we don't need more lanes...x16x16x8 is possible now...

Exactly :cool: the only place that is good for M.2, is ITX builds. Everyone else can enjoy full sized builds with those sweeeeeeet and very smexy PCIe carts in their builds in either 480 or 960GB capacities. If work picks up soon enough for me, i'm considering taking the plunge for my workstation build

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
Exactly :cool: the only place that is good for M.2, is ITX builds. Everyone else can enjoy full sized builds with those sweeeeeeet and very smexy PCIe carts in their builds in either 480 or 960GB capacities. If work picks up soon enough for me, i'm considering taking the plunge for my workstation build

If you'll have the money, get an iOFX. Best ever.

Fusion-iO specifically designs all of their products with workstations in mind. They practically don't degrade (hardly any difference between empty/full performance), have blazing read/write times. The price tag is the only issue.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Yeah I just saw that link you posted, the price is freaking ridiculous lol.