cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory issues with Maximus VII Hero

c242
Level 7
My brother just got a Maximus Hero VII board and installed 2 x 4gb sticks of corsair vengeance ddr3 CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B. When running 2 sticks, the manual says use slots a2 and b2. When posting in this configuration he'll get the 55 error. It'll repeatedly boot and restart. We removed the b2 stick and it'll run fine on one 4gb stick in a2. We updated the bios, cleared cmos and the board still wont run with 2 sticks in the a2, b2 configuration. He moved the second
stick to the the a1 slot and it works now. The problem with this is that the ram specs on cpu z say that there is 8gb running in single channel mode with dram freq at 3600 mhz and NB freq at 666? Has anybody else had this issue with the Hero VII? I dont know what
else to do.
Thanks
16 REPLIES 16

InToSSH
Level 7
Hello,
well to run the memory in dual channel you the pair of DDRs have to be in slots with same color.
I have seen some thread somewhere around this forum, where someone had the same problem. I don't remember exactly the link to that thread, but basically the problem was that there were some bent pins on the processor socket, which belong to RAM, they got the same error.
All they had to do was to take the magnifying glass or microscope and bend the pins back with a toothpick. Then make sure your CPU is sitting properly and your cooler is making equal pressure on all sides.
Hope this will work for you.
Also don't forget to turn on the XMP in BIOS to get full speed from DDRs.

EDIT: Found the link for original thread: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?47812-MAXIMUS-VII-HERO-Dual-Memory-wont-work-error-55&count...
Next time you should use search 🙂
Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) / Core i7-8700k / Asus Strix GTX1070 Ti / Corsair Vengeance LED RED DDR4 4x8GB @ 2666Mhz / SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500GB SSD / 4TB WD Red / CoolerMaster Master Case 5 Pro / Corsair H100i v2 / Corsair CX750M

jjohnson9110
Level 7
I had my RAM fail to post (only 4gb/8gb posted) in slots 1,3. Then when I moved to 2,4 it posted. Also, my mobo fails to hold a change to CPU Ratio. Im about to RMA.

InToSSH
Level 7
Another suggestion, try to push MemOK button, sometimes it fixes some issues with incompatibility.
Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) / Core i7-8700k / Asus Strix GTX1070 Ti / Corsair Vengeance LED RED DDR4 4x8GB @ 2666Mhz / SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500GB SSD / 4TB WD Red / CoolerMaster Master Case 5 Pro / Corsair H100i v2 / Corsair CX750M

There aren't any bent cpu pins. Pressing memory ok doesn't work. The only way it can boot and run is with one stick in the a2 slot but it will crash when gaming. Can anybody tell me what ram they are using successfully?

InToSSH
Level 7
I am using Patriot Viper 3 Black Mamba 4x4GB without problems, I have just put it in and it was working right away.

SPHIGGIN
Level 7
I am having the exact same problem as c242.
New system, everything else works fine, but i can only post when i have 1 single 4gb stick in the b2 slot. No other single slot works, nor does any combination. All 4 ram sticks work in the b2 slot. Any other combination of ram causes reboot looping.

Updated bios, no bent pins, ram (Corsair XMS 1333) seems to check out fine. Works fine until random reboots, ususally in games, sometimes when watching HD.

UGGGG

I am using Kingston HyperX KHX24C11K4/16X 16gb.

I am having same problem cmy16gx3m2a2400c11r. A2 b2 didntk at all no matter how many time I pressed that memory scan button (and waited)

Single in a1 works. To get second module to work I added it AFTER i got system to recognize a1. I tried 2 mmem modules and couldnt get them to work either until I did this 1 at a time bull****.

Slot a2/b2 are useless.

bulldogger wrote:
I am using Kingston HyperX KHX24C11K4/16X 16gb.

That's what I am using and having the same issue as OP. Did you do anything special or did it work from the get go? I have tried a dozen things over the last couple hours in desperate search for a solution. So far can only get 1 stick to load in far right slot (black, B2). If I put in b1 and b2 or any other combination it gives me error 55. If I put in all 4 sticks it constantly reboots. Have checked CPU pins, all good.

Ive been able to install windows 8.1 now using just the 1 stick and have installed all drivers, bios updates, etc... still same issue.