cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help SSD or motherboard problem

Lacin135
Level 7
So I've been using my new pc for 6 months now (first build) and everything was running smoothly. A month ago my system wouldn't boot. I tried disconnecting my SSD which contain windows 7 and reconnecting it for connection issue. No success. Since I was not able to enter the bios because i was stuck in microcode loading (Q-code 06), I tried diconnecting only the SSD and leaving my hard drive. I was then able to enter the bios and then I tried reconnecting the SSD (while in the Bios) without succes. After a lot of research on internet, I decided to test it on my friend's computer. The SSD worked perfectly (boot and usage). So it is not a dead SSD issue. So I thought the motherboard was the problem. So I RMA'd my motherboard back to Asus. 1 week later, I received a brand new motherboard. I then thought the problem was actually the motherboard since in the small letter it was saying problem ''solved:SYSTEM FREEZE''. I plugged it back together but the same problem was still there. So I thought to myself that the SSD was the actual problem so I asked my friend to bring her SSD (which is the exact same model as mine). With her SSD I was able to enter the Bios and The SSD was visible but I was not able to boot. It came with the error: ''Please select proper boot drive...'' So now I really don't know what to do. I suspect a compatibility problem but ther has been no update whatsoever since I've first boot it (and it also worked perfectly 6 month earlier). Research doesn't tell anything. Please help me out because I'm really out of Idea. Thx in advance for the help.

Specs:
-Intel Core i7-4930K Ivy Bridge-E 3.4GHz LGA 2011 130W Desktop Processor

-ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition LGA 2011 Intel X79

-ASUS GTX780-DC2OC-3GD5 GeForce

-CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133

-SeaSonic Platinum SS-860XP2 860W ATX12V

-Crucial M500 120GB SATA 2.5"

-Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

-CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i
28 REPLIES 28

InToSSH
Level 7
Hi, well firstly I would start with updating your UEFI to latest version and also update your SSD firmware to latest, then see if there are some changes. But be aware that sometimes the SSD is erased during the fw update process so you can make an image of the drive.
Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) / Core i7-8700k / Asus Strix GTX1070 Ti / Corsair Vengeance LED RED DDR4 4x8GB @ 2666Mhz / SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500GB SSD / 4TB WD Red / CoolerMaster Master Case 5 Pro / Corsair H100i v2 / Corsair CX750M

Hakan-Sukur
Level 7
Hi,

Have u tried to change sata port? ( first stupid question but i have to ask )

Have u tried your ssd to another computer? Another external port ( usb 3 or eSata )?

TenBlade
Level 11
Hi L135. You can´t expect to boot from a harddrive from a different computer. How full is your SSD? Remember to keep approx. 20% of the memory capacity empty.

I already tried reinstalling windows (completely) at my friend's house but it didn't change anything. I can also boot from my SSD at my friens's house so I guess it isn't corrupted. Also, It was on hotswap when i plugged it while it was powered. How can i do a update/install of my UEFI without entering Windows??

Tokens210
Level 10
Yea as blade said if you plugged them into your friends PC and formatted them and installed windows I wouldn'teven try putting it back into ur machine till its wiped and ready

Since the ssd seems to be running fine from your friends pc I'd say when you actually hook it back up ensure your using the Intel ports as per the manual

The fact that you plugged the ssd into the system while it was powered (unless it was set to hotswap) may have corrupted the ssds data which could explain your system freeze code that didn't appear till after

So you probly need to reinstall windows on the ssd

You could try unhooking your hard drive, if your board has secure ssd erase ensure your drive is supported and wipe it, then do a fresh UEFI install on it

If the ssd is in fact corrupted and that's why its not showing up on ur PC anymore you may need to try using ur friends PC to wipe the drive but only that then see if your PC picks it up again

Not an expert, just guesses from different experiences
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo

InToSSH
Level 7
Your motherboard has FlashBack, so you can download the UEFI image to thumb drive, rename it as your motherboard name (there are tutorials over this forum), it believe for your mobo it should be R4BE.cap.. then turn off your computer, just turn on the power supply, but not the PC itself, put the USB drive to USB port on the back which should be highlighted as FlashBack port and hold the flashback button on the back of your mobo for few seconds until it starts blinking.. then wait till it stops and your mobo should be updated.
Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) / Core i7-8700k / Asus Strix GTX1070 Ti / Corsair Vengeance LED RED DDR4 4x8GB @ 2666Mhz / SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500GB SSD / 4TB WD Red / CoolerMaster Master Case 5 Pro / Corsair H100i v2 / Corsair CX750M

I tried looking for a flashback on my motherboard but I didn't find any. Although I found a usb flahback in the Bios should I try this?? Also there's no highlighted plugged for usb (I look it up before) the only two button available at the back are Clear Cmos and the ROG connect button.

InToSSH
Level 7
Look at the manual: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA2011/RAMPAGE_IV_BLACK_EDITION/E8670_Rampage_IV_Black_Edition....
Page 2-13.

To use USB BIOS Flashback:
Download the latest BIOS file from the ASUS website
Extract and rename the BIOS image file to
R4BE.CAP
Copy
R4BE.CAP
to the root directory of the USB flash disk drive.
Turn off the system and insert the USB storage device to the ROG Connect port.
Press the ROG Connect button and release when a flashing light appears,
which
indicates that the BIOS Flashback function is enabled.
Wait until the light goes out, indicating that the BIOS updating process is completed

In the manual you can also find pictures, telling you which USB port to use.

Lacin135
Level 7
Alright, so I've updated my Bios to the latest version but now i'm having problem updating the firmware of my SSD. My current SSD version is MU02 and the latest is MU05. Although when I try to update a message pops up telling me that there is no update required. IS that a bug or is there really no update required??

I also contacted Crucial via emailed and they said that the problem could be resolve with a power cycle (letting the SSD idle without reading/writing for a while) could this really work or is it just a solution they toss to everybody??