cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep Me Motivated!!!!

FailNinja
Level 7
Hello All!!!

I wanted to introduce myself and hopefully get some help, I am currently stationed overseas ( thank you US Air Force ) and will be traveling back stateside for a couple of weeks. And that is when im looking into purchasing an Asus Laptop ( ROG off course ). Looking to buy the G74sx-A1 laptop at a Frys Electronics since they price match and i found this going for $1570 on Amazon.

So i have been doing some research about the Asus G74sx-A1 and i have my heart set on that beast. But i finally heard about this forum from a buddy of mine who currently has the G73, and after reading a handful of post about issues and bad Customer service i am starting to stray away 😞

Since i have been Lurking a bit and reading up on some of these issues it seems to be a mix of simple quick fixes to EPIC Failures, i am not too computer savvy and will be relying on this forum to help with all my noobie questions :rolleyes:

All the issues w this laptop i have been researching so i am pretty ok overlooking that, but some of the more serious issues like bad screens, faulty wireless cards, and laptops just being Lemons right out of the box are starting to stray me towards other brands.

So i just wanted to know how good the warranty is since i am Overseas a lot because if i ran into these issues i would hate to told im SOL
15 REPLIES 15

chrsplmr
Level 18
Welcome FailNinja to the ROG Member Forum, glad you could join us.

Hahahahahhaa.... Good chuckle, thank you.

If you continue reading you will find most of the blown out EPIC problems are
mostly lack of patience. Most issues are quickly, by any reasonable standard, resolved.
We never see or hear from ALL the owners that are thrilled unless they come here
to go to the next level.

If you have been reading this forum and paying special attention to Laptops you will
know that Chastity @ Asus is right on every single, even the smallest of questions,
and the members jump in all over the rest. So relax, here, you Are covered.

Did you read the same sort of nightmares about the 73? How did that work out
for 'your buddy'? Is he still waiting for his to get straightened out? Thats what I thought.

Now, that leads us to your particular situation being stationed overseas with the
US Air Force, and may I SCREAM THANK YOU for that.

Do you have someone stateside that could ship it to you if you cant get it done in 2 weeks?
This way if there are any RMA issues from the retailer it can be taken care of quickly and cheaply.
These things happen, it is a long way from factory to warehouse to retailer to you.
Who knows the horrors the laptops endure, and of course defective units can slip through QC.
Best to resolve that before it leaves stateside.

I dont speak against Amazon in the least, I have had nothing but positive experiences with them.
However, what may be invisible to the consumer is the ministores that any item could be coming from. That said, buyer beware. Even though the re seller has to deal with Amazon freezing them out, this is little help to you sitting in Germany with a defective unit, as slim as that chance may be.

The Warranty? Hahahahaa..The laptop does come with a huge stone with this
carved on it.....all I can say to this is, it is an Asus..and THEY stand by their name, from my experience.

So yes, by all means, rely away, let questions fly, give your experiences, and thoughts.
Other brands? There are other brands? Do they ROG? Yeah, I didn't think so.
Looking forward to a positive outcome for you.
Best of Luck.c.

dstrakele
Level 14
Thanks for serving, FailNinja! Asus has Global options for Warranty service, but they will be limited. See the bottom of http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/487940-asus-rma-warranty-guide.html.

Some folks report the G74SX keyboard is not sensitive enough and the touchpad is too sensitive. I purchased a G74SX-A1 about one month ago and was able to resolve my touchpad issues during typing by increasing the typing reactivation value in touchpad configuration to 2.0 seconds.

I have experienced missed keystrokes on this system. I am unsure if they are related to IE9 or the keyboard not being sensitive enough or some other cause. However, I currently observe the same behavior in IE9, Chrome, and Notepad.

If you search for "missing keystrokes", you'll find all sorts of reasons and it is reported on many different systems. I've flashed my BIOS to version 202 and updated to ATK Package 1.0.0010 as recommended, but I still experience missed keystrokes. I am leaning towards the keyboard not being sensitive enough for my typing ability. I'm not typing lengthy reports on it, and the missed keystrokes do not occur frequently enough to be a major problem for me. Overall, I'm happy with the system so far. I recommend you test the G74SX-A1 keyboard and touchpad for yourself before purchase.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

ES_Designs
Level 7
FailNinja,
First of all, thank you for your service to our country!!
Secondly, I can vouch for the fact that this forum is great, and will to help the noobs like myself. I just got my first ROG laptop last week, but this isn't my first experience with ASUS, and it certainly won't be my last. Over the years I have grown to appreciate the innovation and reliability of ASUS products, from motherboards, and graphic cards to netbooks and nettops. I hope you get the G74 that you're looking at and I hope you enjoy it as much as I'm enjoying the G53 I just picked up!
ROG G53SW-XN1 | i7 2630QM | 14GB RAM | Nvidia GTX-460M | Crucial M4 128GB SSD | 500GB HDD | Win7 Ultimate x64

Hello!!!!

chrsplmr - dstrakele - ES Designs

Thank You for such quick reply's, after all three of your comments i am very sure that i am getting the Asus G74SX-A1. From what it seems it looks like the early buyers seem to be the ones with the problems, so hopefully buying this laptop late November when i get stateside, that QC and updates will have an already amazing product good to go for when i get it.

And yeah i do have Family Stateside that i can send my laptop too if any major issues occur. While I am stateside i will also be getting as much early issues taken care of.

And thats my other quick question, it looks like there is a good amount of Bloatware preinstalled on the ROG rigs. Can any, if ALL be removed on the rig the day i get it. I have heard from other ROG members that some of the Bloatware is a must keep on the laptop and that deleting them will cause issues.

Again, thank you for all the great quick comments, From all the Military Gamers - Thank You for the support

I will be sure to spread the "ROG" , and when i get my rig ill be sure to post my experiences and thoughts

FailNinja wrote:

While I am stateside i will also be getting as much early issues taken care of.

Can any, if ALL be removed on the rig the day i get it.

Start by updating your drivers - look here for newer drivers - http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?1150-G73-74-53-Series-Driver-and-Application-Reference (I've added some towards the end of the thread that Chastity hasn't added to her post yet. )

Yes you can remove the bloatware from day 1. Actually, what I did was a clean install of Win7 Home Premium, then installed only Power4Gear Hyprid, Wireless Console 3, FastBoot, and LifeFrame3. I haven't installed CinePlayer yet, but'll probably want to use that.

OH, if you're going to need GOOD Wifi reception/speed, you may want to order an Intel 6300 or Intel 6230 (if you also need Bluetooth) to replace the POS Atheros card included in the G74SX's.

BTW, thanks so much for your selfless service. I salute!
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

chrsplmr
Level 18
Yep, The light is alway on.
Stay Well. Best of Luck.

irdmoose
Level 10
First off, FailNinja thank you for your service, and God bless you for it.

The bloatware shipped with the Asus isn't too bad. I use some of it, the rest I uninstalled. If you're bothered by it, you can create a factory restore disc set and then do a clean install of Windows 7 Home Premium using the key on the bottom of your laptop (as JRd1st did). Chastity posted a link to a copy of the Windows 7 disc that you can burn as well. Then, once it's up and running install only the apps that are important to you.

As far as the failures go, I can honestly say the activity on the forum is representative of the normal level of failures in the computer industry. The only one that was out of whack, from what I've heard from Asus reps, was the G73JW. I've had two screens go south on me, and Asus has taken care of me without any hassle. Their customer service has been awesome both times, and both repairs had the laptop back to me within a week (the second time they gave me a free hard drive upgrade!).

If you're looking for a gaming laptop that blows away a similarly spec'd Alienware for significantly less money, I highly recommend going Asus. Also, if glossy screens bug you I would recommend going the 3DE route even if you don't use the 3D functionality. I miss my matte display from my previous laptop.

Thanks again for your service, and come home safe.

Chastity
Level 10
The biggest niggle that was an issue was the keyboard mapping of the Numpad keys, which was addressed with BIOS 202. If you have any additional issues, we can sort things out. BTW, what country are you going to be stationed at? Maybe there is a Global Repair Center servicing it, in case you need to RMA for something?
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

dstrakele
Level 14
ASUS has a site to help you locate a Service Center: http://support.asus.com/ServiceCenter.aspx?SLanguage=en
Could be handy if you are outside the US...
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT