cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fresh Build for August

djtniz
Level 7
First time poster, long time lurker. Just had a major life changing event with the birth of my daughter that forced me to give up most of my hobbies that allowed me to travel. As a result, I've decided it was time to build a fresh rig so I could enjoy some down time at the house.

I was hoping I could pick some brains regarding a build that I would like to take on Mid July - August. I figured that would give baby enough time to get a regulated schedule, give me some time to save money, and give Intel some time to get the new processors out.

My goal with the machine is to be able to game and use it for working at home (excel and access data crunching) Mostly play Battlefield and I would like to Multibox Diablo3. I would also like to stream if at all possible. My budget is $3-4000 USD. Already have the peripherals, so essentially just funneling my funds into the case and everything contained within.

I would like to use the new core i7- 4790k, but am not sure what motherboard to pair it up with. For a graphics card, I have always been an Nvidia User (what my previous builds came configured with) but like what I see with the R9 290x2. I honestly don't care about Nvidia VS AMD, just want a solid card, so I am very open to suggestions. I've never water-cooled before, but was thinking I could go with a nice AIO cooling system for CPU and graphics card if needed. I don't need any flashy leds or crazy custom loop cooling systems. I would prefer a silent minimalistic build so it will blend it nicely in my office/game room.

I'm sorry for the little information that I've been able to provide, but it's been a while since I've done a build. Last build was close to 10 years ago. All my machines since have been pre-configured from overpriced builders.

Thanks,
NiZ
17 REPLIES 17

Antronman
Level 10
Minimalist eh?

Seriously, with that budget I would really recommend getting a custom loop, or waiting for the Rampage V Gene (September).

But if you want an idea of what's available now.

CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220 55.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($127.82 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII GENE Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($169.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($259.19 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($259.19 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 295X2 8GB Video Card ($1499.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 350D Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($179.99 @ Micro Center)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $2926.12
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-05 12:59 EDT-0400)

+ Around 350USD for the i7-4790k.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

djtniz
Level 7
Thank you for your input. I knew I came to the right place. By minimalist, I mean not flashy. I'm a thirty something year old that would rather allocate funds to performance than blinky things 🙂

I'll see if I can find any info on that new rampage board. Might be worth the wait. As far as a custom loop. I think the idea is great and would allow me to to push performance even farther, but it does me nervous. Never done it before. I'm confident in my abilities when it comes to working with my hands, but lack the base knowledge to design a system and order the right parts. Maybe some time on YouTube and frozencpu might be in order.

Thanks a million for your help!

Antronman
Level 10
No info yet on X99 at all.

Custom loops are easy. Way easier than people say they are. You just need to test the loop for leaks without any parts connected to the PSU. Let them dry if they get wet.

You make it sound too easy. I'll look into it though. In your opinion, based on the evolution of mobo tech, would it be worth the wait to see what x99 has to offer?

Antronman
Level 10
Yes. X99 has DDR4. DDR4 has way higher latency, but consumes much less power and needs less voltage for better clocks. Along with that, DDR3 has much higher latency than DDR2, but performs infinitely better, so it could be the same story with DDR4.

Doing a quick search for ddr4, only able to find some server memory. Is your thought of utilizing the x99 as a mean to help future proof the build, or is ddr4 that close that I could pick some up immediately for my build.

Sorry for all the questions, but it's slow at work and now you got me thinking

MatsGlobetrotte
Level 10
Hi djtniz,

I have not put together any systems for the last 8 years and never dealt with water-cooling in way before in my life. But then I love to try new things.

I put together the system you see in my signature and my build log just over the last 2 months. As I had no clue about water cooling I first got the EK HFX 360 kit which contains everything you need for a CPU cooling setup. Some people say the pump is noisy. I have not noticed that and it gives enough pressure. I added on a GTX-780Ti Reference card and bought the full block cooler for that also. Then with a few additional adapters I had a complete setup for getting CPU, GPU and VRM's cooled. Well so I thought anyway. Ofcourse the tubing was not really meant for such a full length cooling solution but I managed to get everything together and got my 4770 up an running to 4.5 GHz on all cores easily. The system worked like a charm but I saw some kinks develop on 3 tubelines after a few days due to the bends and overall heat here. I could still run 4.5GHz no problem and the GPU full time on 1179Mhz base speed/ I flashed the bios, but nothing would help to do more than that. Next I purchased the EK- M6F kit to get the chipset cooler also and got some more tubing and a few 45 and 90 degree adaptors.

With those pieces I then re-pulled some tubing to get what I thought was a better flow. Thus Pump- radiator - CPU - VRM - GPU - Chipset - Reservoir - Pump. I replaced almost all bends with 45 or 90 Degree angle adaptors so it almost looks like I have hard pipes instead of tubes. Back on line the pump had a much easier load and could pump more water through the system easier. When I look at the scores I have posted on HwBot knowing I am in a country with 27 Degrees C even at night time and only use one XTX360 radiator with 6 fans in push pull configuration on it I am amazed at how well my system works. Dont regret going custom loop one bit. Putting it together was quite easy checking leakage was also easy. It was a bit of a trick to figure out how to fix the tubing on the adapters since threaded part kind of need to go on before the tubing in some parts due to the twisting that otherwise will be done when tightening things together. But nothing really difficult.

The only word of caution I have is that if you use the EK CPU kit. Dont bother to change the Jet plate inside as it is a major pain to get the block back together. Thus unless you really want to squeeze out the last drop of speed it wont matter.

Since I took my system down once I realized I had not thought of a good way to empty the system of water so spilled a bit here and there but no harm done just to dry up get back in business.

Working with the guys here on the forum to get help while tweaking has been great and hmm its kind of addictive to see what I can squeeze out of my machine now 🙂 So next will for sure be to add a radiator or two and maybe do a split system to cool further 🙂 So according to me the only mistake you really can do is to go with a closed system 🙂
It started with a VIC-20... and now it is. Maximus Formula VI Intel 4770K 4.6GHz ASUS GTX780Ti 3GB Corsair Platinum Dominator 16GB 2400MHz Raid Express 240GB Samsung EVO 512 GB SSD Corsair 900D EK watercooling Corsair RM1000 ASUS PB278Q

MatsGlobetrotter wrote:
So according to me the only mistake you really can do is to go with a closed system 🙂

Thanks for the thorough reply. Helps put some of my nerves at ease. You have a pretty intense machine, and I like your coolong ideas. Might do the custom loop.
Dr. Zchivago wrote:
About the custom loop:

To date, I have built three custom water loops for three different computers. When cutting hose, make sure you make nice, clean, SQUARE cuts. When fitting hose, make sure the fitting is good and tight, SQUARE, and properly seated. I also use spring-hose clamps on cheap nipple fittings.

Sounds very similar to when I'm setting up air systems at the paintball field and teching guns. I have a macro line cutter for all of the hose I use on guns, keep cuts straight and square. I wonder if that would work.

Thanks again for all the feedback. Definitely built my comfort level up

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
About the custom loop:

To date, I have built three custom water loops for three different computers. When cutting hose, make sure you make nice, clean, SQUARE cuts. When fitting hose, make sure the fitting is good and tight, SQUARE, and properly seated. I also use spring-hose clamps on cheap nipple fittings.

I have not had a leak yet, nor even a scare. Plumbers don't leak test your water lines for several days after installation - they make sure it's done correctly before they leave.

The first machine I converted was done during November of last year; it has 25% OC, and it has been used for math research (very heavy processor load) 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, since November with zero issues.

Do your installation properly, and barring hardware failures, your WC loop should last a good while with minimal maintenance.

Z