Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Z97 Fan Headers

  1. #1
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    33

    Z97 Fan Headers

    Hello all,
    I was just wondering if all the fan headers are true PWM headers in this generation of motherboards, or if only the CPU headers are, as in the last generation.

  2. #2
    untouched Array Praz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Reputation
    137
    Posts
    4,038

    Yes, all headers support both PWM and DC fans.

  3. #3
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    33

    Quote Originally Posted by Praz View Post
    Yes, all headers support both PWM and DC fans.
    I was referring to the problem described in this thread:http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...VI-extreme-z87

  4. #4
    untouched Array Praz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Reputation
    137
    Posts
    4,038

    Hello

    And as I stated above full control of both PWM and DC mode fans are supported on all fan headers for Z97. There really was no reason for the confusion with Z87. The fan header pinout specifications clearly showed pin 4 PWM control for the CPU fan header only. All other included fan header pinouts had pin 4 at 5V. Armed with this info one should know that PWM functionality was limited to the CPU fan header only.

  5. #5
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array Tokens210 PC Specs
    Tokens210 PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus VI Formula
    ProcessorI7-4770K
    Memory (part number)F3-2400C10D-16GTX Gskill TridentX (8gbx2)
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 550TI 1gb
    Sound CardSupreme FX on board
    Storage #12x Samsung Evo 120gb
    Storage #2WD 1TB
    CPU CoolerSwiftech H320
    CaseCoolermaster HAF 932 Advanced
    Power SupplyCorsair HX850 80+ Platinum
    OS Windows 7 64-bit

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Reputation
    25
    Posts
    517

    Just as praz said the new 97 boards support both pwm or voltage control on all fan headers, although if the board has a CPU_opt it may be just a mirror of CPU_fan again if that's what you were referring to

    Vi series rog or 87 boards only the CPU fan header has pwm the CPU opt is just a mirror of CPU fan and the rest are voltage controlled, again as praz said



    If fans are a concern for you on a build you can always look into a fan controller like a lamptron, should be more then enough to fix most concerns towards fans
    Last edited by Tokens210; 06-06-2014 at 10:48 PM.
    CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo

  6. #6
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    33

    Quote Originally Posted by Praz View Post
    Hello

    And as I stated above full control of both PWM and DC mode fans are supported on all fan headers for Z97. There really was no reason for the confusion with Z87. The fan header pinout specifications clearly showed pin 4 PWM control for the CPU fan header only. All other included fan header pinouts had pin 4 at 5V. Armed with this info one should know that PWM functionality was limited to the CPU fan header only.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokens210 View Post
    Just as praz said the new 97 boards support both pwm or voltage control on all fan headers, although if the board has a CPU_opt it may be just a mirror of CPU_fan again if that's what you were referring to

    Vi series rog or 87 boards only the CPU fan header has pwm the CPU opt is just a mirror of CPU fan and the rest are voltage controlled, again as praz said



    If fans are a concern for you on a build you can always look into a fan controller like a lamptron, should be more then enough to fix most concerns towards fans
    Alright; it's a shame Asus hasn't added "true" PWM headers to the Z97 lineup ;_;

  7. #7
    untouched Array Praz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Reputation
    137
    Posts
    4,038

    Quote Originally Posted by Elements View Post
    Alright; it's a shame Asus hasn't added "true" PWM headers to the Z97 lineup ;_;
    Hello

    All fan headers on the Z97 boards are "true" PWM as well as having the option of voltage control for 3 pin fans. I'm not sure how many more different ways there is to state this. Hopefully this is now clear unless you are asking something different than what we are reading.

  8. #8
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    33

    Quote Originally Posted by Praz View Post
    Hello

    All fan headers on the Z97 boards are "true" PWM as well as having the option of voltage control for 3 pin fans. I'm not sure how many more different ways there is to state this. Hopefully this is now clear unless you are asking something different than what we are reading.
    I apologize for the confusion; you stated that one of the four pins on all but the CPU headers is 5V, making the fans plugged into these headers voltage controlled. For items such as externally powered PWM splitters, this allows only the two CPU headers to be used; as the CPU_OPT mirrors the CPU header, using a splitter and a PWM controlled pump is not feasible since the pump's PWM signal requires different ranges then those of the fans. This obstacle is why I referred to these headers as not "true" PWM headers.

  9. #9
    untouched Array Praz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Reputation
    137
    Posts
    4,038

    Hello

    Please have another look at post #4. I stated that all fan headers on the Z97 boards were PWM capable. Everything I wrote after that in that post was in the past tense directly related to the Z87 post you linked to.

  10. #10
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    33

    Quote Originally Posted by Praz View Post
    Hello

    Please have another look at post #4. I stated that all fan headers on the Z97 boards were PWM capable. Everything I wrote after that in that post was in the past tense directly related to the Z87 post you linked to.
    Oh, alright. I apologize for the misunderstanding; thanks for the clarification!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •