cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z97 Fan Headers

Elements
Level 7
Hello all,
I was just wondering if all the fan headers are true PWM headers in this generation of motherboards, or if only the CPU headers are, as in the last generation.
30 REPLIES 30

Praz
Level 13
Yes, all headers support both PWM and DC fans.

Praz wrote:
Yes, all headers support both PWM and DC fans.
I was referring to the problem described in this thread:http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?36014-Warning-only-one-real-PWM-Fan-on-Maximus-VI-extreme-z...

Praz
Level 13
Hello

And as I stated above full control of both PWM and DC mode fans are supported on all fan headers for Z97. There really was no reason for the confusion with Z87. The fan header pinout specifications clearly showed pin 4 PWM control for the CPU fan header only. All other included fan header pinouts had pin 4 at 5V. Armed with this info one should know that PWM functionality was limited to the CPU fan header only.

Tokens210
Level 10
Just as praz said the new 97 boards support both pwm or voltage control on all fan headers, although if the board has a CPU_opt it may be just a mirror of CPU_fan again if that's what you were referring to

Vi series rog or 87 boards only the CPU fan header has pwm the CPU opt is just a mirror of CPU fan and the rest are voltage controlled, again as praz said

If fans are a concern for you on a build you can always look into a fan controller like a lamptron, should be more then enough to fix most concerns towards fans
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo

Praz wrote:
Hello

And as I stated above full control of both PWM and DC mode fans are supported on all fan headers for Z97. There really was no reason for the confusion with Z87. The fan header pinout specifications clearly showed pin 4 PWM control for the CPU fan header only. All other included fan header pinouts had pin 4 at 5V. Armed with this info one should know that PWM functionality was limited to the CPU fan header only.

Tokens210 wrote:
Just as praz said the new 97 boards support both pwm or voltage control on all fan headers, although if the board has a CPU_opt it may be just a mirror of CPU_fan again if that's what you were referring to

Vi series rog or 87 boards only the CPU fan header has pwm the CPU opt is just a mirror of CPU fan and the rest are voltage controlled, again as praz said

If fans are a concern for you on a build you can always look into a fan controller like a lamptron, should be more then enough to fix most concerns towards fans

Alright; it's a shame Asus hasn't added "true" PWM headers to the Z97 lineup ;_;

Elements wrote:
Alright; it's a shame Asus hasn't added "true" PWM headers to the Z97 lineup ;_;

Hello

All fan headers on the Z97 boards are "true" PWM as well as having the option of voltage control for 3 pin fans. I'm not sure how many more different ways there is to state this. Hopefully this is now clear unless you are asking something different than what we are reading.

Praz wrote:
Hello

All fan headers on the Z97 boards are "true" PWM as well as having the option of voltage control for 3 pin fans. I'm not sure how many more different ways there is to state this. Hopefully this is now clear unless you are asking something different than what we are reading.

I apologize for the confusion; you stated that one of the four pins on all but the CPU headers is 5V, making the fans plugged into these headers voltage controlled. For items such as externally powered PWM splitters, this allows only the two CPU headers to be used; as the CPU_OPT mirrors the CPU header, using a splitter and a PWM controlled pump is not feasible since the pump's PWM signal requires different ranges then those of the fans. This obstacle is why I referred to these headers as not "true" PWM headers.

Praz wrote:
Hello

Hi Praz I have a question is it possible to use any of the fan headers or the CPU_OPT or the CPU_header to control a PWM pump like the Swiftech MCP-655 PWM pump if not what would be the best option to control the pump speed using a temp probe on my VGA card water loop. I was going to use the temp sensor connector on the Maximus vii hero's motherboard to connect a temp probe on the water loop and use the motherboard temp sensor to control one of the fan headers hooked to the pump's PWM lead. is this possible???? hope I'm not confusing everyone but I need to know if this will work if not then I will have to go different route !!!

bitman wrote:
Hi Praz I have a question is it possible to use any of the fan headers or the CPU_OPT or the CPU_header to control a PWM pump like the Swiftech MCP-655 PWM pump if not what would be the best option to control the pump speed using a temp probe on my VGA card water loop. I was going to use the temp sensor connector on the Maximus vii hero's motherboard to connect a temp probe on the water loop and use the motherboard temp sensor to control one of the fan headers hooked to the pump's PWM lead. is this possible???? hope I'm not confusing everyone but I need to know if this will work if not then I will have to go different route !!!

You can use one of the chassis fan headers for this. Personally I would not control a pump's speed - just leave it full on. I would control the speed of the fans connected to the radiator.