Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Thanks very much for this thread, I will hold on to my cash until ATI and another monitor or this one can give me 144MHz without issues.
    G-Sync is a great idea, too bad they went the Apple route and developed a proprietary, closed solution rather than an open standard. But I do wonder why my Asus ATI card has issues with this monitor at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Alinor View Post
    Thanks very much for this thread, I will hold on to my cash until ATI and another monitor or this one can give me 144MHz without issues.
    G-Sync is a great idea, too bad they went the Apple route and developed a proprietary, closed solution rather than an open standard. But I do wonder why my Asus ATI card has issues with this monitor at all.
    its an nvidia product, thats why.
    they made it to work whit nvidia cards and you need a program ( nvidia ) to make it work "optimal".
    amd is on whit trying to make a "free sync" monitor, but thats up and ahead ( few years mabye or more? )

ROG Enthusiast Array

Don't act like AMD is just this open-source savior, i.e. the Android to Nvidia's "Apple". They have to make money too. There may not be a licensing cost on the manufacturer side for FreeSync, but the manufacturers still have to spend money to implement the new DP1.2a hardware in new monitors, so it's a wash either way. FreeSync is also still AMD only, for all their talk of non-proprietary solutions, it just takes advantage of a standard they pushed for. That's not to say NVIDIA can't take advantage of Adaptive Sync down the road, but it's not like AMD did their competitor a favor by pushing for this standard for both of them. NVIDIA would still have to come up with their own solution (Hint: They already have) and push it to their drivers.

From AMD's FreeSync FAQ:
    To take advantage of the benefits of Project FreeSync, users will require: a monitor compatible with DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync, a compatible AMD Radeon™​ GPU with a DisplayPort connection, and a compatible AMD Catalyst™ graphics driver. AMD plans to release a compatible graphics driver to coincide with the introduction of the first DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync monitors.
    Last edited by NavasC; 08-18-2014 at 01:04 PM.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Alinor View Post
    ...... But I do wonder why my Asus ATI card has issues with this monitor at all.
    Good point

Helium Chilled Array _ PC Specs
    _ PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G46VW
    MotherboardRampage IV Gene
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-3930K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (CMD32GX3M4A2133C9)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Matrix GTX 780 Ti
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX III
    MonitorASUS VG248QE with GSync mod
    Storage #1Plextor PX-M2 SSD 120GB
    Storage #2G.Skill Phoenix Blade 480GB PCIe SSD
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Seidon 240M
    CaseCooler Master HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-750
    Keyboard Corsair K90
    Mouse ROG Gladius
    Headset ROG Orion
    OS Windows 8.1 Update 1
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

Quote Originally Posted by NavasC View Post
    Don't act like AMD is just this open-source savior, i.e. the Android to Nvidia's "Apple". They have to make money too. There may not be a licensing cost on the manufacturer side for FreeSync, but the manufacturers still have to spend money to implement the new DP1.2a hardware in new monitors, so it's a wash either way. FreeSync is also still AMD only, for all their talk of non-proprietary solutions, it just takes advantage of a standard they pushed for. That's not to say NVIDIA can't take advantage of Adaptive Sync down the road, but it's not like AMD did their competitor a favor by pushing for this standard for both of them. NVIDIA would still have to come up with their own solution (Hint: They already have) and push it to their drivers.
    Nailed it.

Unfortunately, it maybe '(close to) free' from the chip standpoint, but first gen products will still be a significant development cost (especially if you want something special like the PG). Later products will be incrementally cheaper as you save money on having done a bulk of R&D. But just dropping it in a new chip doesn't automatically make it work (we couldn't just swap out the innards of the PG for example) - you have to engineer, test, qualify, debug.. and then AMD has to do the driver work to get it working in all the games. Nvidia is at least 12 months ahead in that regard.

When you make a product you don't just automatically ship it out: retailers have to have confidence to buy it from us. AMD will have to do a strong branding push closer to launch to help this because you have to admit the G-Sync branding is strong, so more people know about it and demand it.

So in the short term it might not be as beneficial as people hope, but if FreeSync takes off then more chip makers will invest in its features which gives us more choice and you better variety and lower prices. By then Nvidia may have an ASIC, or it may license it's tech to others (who knows?? this is ~years away.. maybe). Either way we should hope for success all round to give good competition to benefit all us PC gamers!

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasBo View Post
    Good point
    Because we don't control the drivers. It requires AMD and Nvidia technology to co-operate. We just implement the respective ecosystems with customizations and improvements.

Ultimately you can build an 'all ASUS' PC, but we work on standards created by industry bodies (PCISIG, USBIF etc) or singular companies themselves (Intel, Nvidia, AMD, Qualcomm, etc)
    Last edited by _; 08-19-2014 at 01:58 AM.

ROG Member Array

Swapped the 290x for a 780ti OC... now everything works as expected. Incl. turbo button, ulmb and 144hz g-sync.

New ROGer Array

cant get over 85hz on my Xfire "ASUS" R9 290X's without my screen going berserk

ROG Member Array

Strange, for me everything over 120hz wont work. I have msi 290x crossfire. If u can, try different DP cabel.

New ROGer Array

will see if one of the local stores has one in stock tomorrow. was going to swap cards but would be a pain because of watercooling setup and bridge seals would probly be ruined

New ROGer Array

I have a 290x crossfire setup and I also get flickering at 144hz setting. 120 works fine.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast