cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

780Ti dcii OC serious issue, please i need help.

trelokomio
Level 7
Hello,
I bought a brand new graphics card (780ti dcii oc) a week ago.
The broblem was that when i am trying to run 3dmark firestrike, I am getting black screen, the fans of the graphics card speed up to full power and 3-4 seconds after, my pc is restarting by itself.
I contact with email with the asus support, and they told me that i must contact with my dealer to test and send the vga card at the Asus repair center...
I contact with my dealer and return back that card and gave me another one, but the the problem still resists exactly the same...

Both cards, the first one and the new one, where tested in three different Pc's and the problem was each time the same, so nothing wrong with my system..

The specs of my system is:
cpu: i7-4770Κ
Motherboard: asus maximus vi gene Z87
power supply: corsair HW850 W

A link with a video of my problem, that I uploaded in Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi0GLsNX9Ww

How is it possible for two brand new graphics cards to have the same exact issue?
I feel very annoyed and I am thinking that I may have thrown out my money for something that will never work out as it should.
40 REPLIES 40

1stcowgirl
Level 7
hi my friend,
first let me welcome you, so "WELCOME TO THE CLUB"
i believe this is a BIOS issue regarding the fans.
this card is hitting its Temp Target very quickly (82c) _ (and being on 82c means the VRM is on 100C minimum).
i think you need to tweak a little bit with GPU Tweak to set your fans and Temp Target.
i mad a lot of posts regarding heat issue.
specialy the ASUS 780Ti DC2OC... (its a power consumer!)
whenever i play a game, I set my FANS like this:

and the TEMP Target on 70:
\
ºi7-4790k, ºZ97-A, º4x4GB Ripjaws X 1600mhz, ºASUS GTX 780Ti OC [DC2OC] ºCorsair GS700, ºCM 690 IIIº LG E2241T ºWin 7 Ulti' SP1 x64

MatsGlobetrotte
Level 10
Hi,

Having crashed my Fire strike test numerous of times these last 2 weeks I dont think your issue is the graphic card (unless your tweking of the full setup would drain so much power that it goes over the limit which I dont think. Normally when it would crash in firestrike or other benchmarking due to the graphic card it would only give a black screen and then either stop completely and remain black or go back to Windows showing the GPU driver crashed and thus the GPU alone reboot back to stock speed. It would not crash the windows and desktop as such. Thus pressing Alt Tab would in most cases get you back to Windows even with a black screen.

Normally if the crash goes back to such reboot of desktop like what you show in the video it more relates to CPU or memory, BCLK and such. or overheating some other part of the system.

The temperature during the video remained quite stable on the GPU what I could see. It would thus be important to check what you have as settings for the rest of the setup. I know that if I run my system on BCLK just about anything above 100.1 on firestrike or other heavy load I get crashes very fast. Not to say that such is the issue on yours. But you might have to back off on some other tight settings with the new graphic card in the machine until you find the balance.
It started with a VIC-20... and now it is. Maximus Formula VI Intel 4770K 4.6GHz ASUS GTX780Ti 3GB Corsair Platinum Dominator 16GB 2400MHz Raid Express 240GB Samsung EVO 512 GB SSD Corsair 900D EK watercooling Corsair RM1000 ASUS PB278Q

Hi guys, thank's for the "Welcome" and for the answers!

@1stcowgirl
Ιam sure that it isn't the "high temperatures" causing the problem in my case!
If you see the video above, the temperatures of the card is quite low, never exceeding the 60c!
Εven if i set the "speed fan" to maximum (100%) same crash/issue happens again at 3dmark fire strike to the scene 2!

@MatsGlobetrotter
As I said above, both card's (the old one and the new one) have been tested on three different pc's and the problem was each time the same!
All 3 systems that i tested the cards, runs all in stock speeds(memory-cpu) so, definitely sure the "crash" causes by the card, but i cant understand why...
Nothing is overclocked to the system, all runs at stock speeds!

maybe its your version of drivers, Firestrike, DX11 Win 7 patches and so forth test in another benchmarker that push the card the same way. If its 3 different computers, 2 different GPUs then its not 100% the GPU card.. then it can be a whole lot of other issues. . Unless ofcourse you have a generic hardware issue in the PCIE port that destroy the card in the first machine and then show the same issue in the others, who knows.
It started with a VIC-20... and now it is. Maximus Formula VI Intel 4770K 4.6GHz ASUS GTX780Ti 3GB Corsair Platinum Dominator 16GB 2400MHz Raid Express 240GB Samsung EVO 512 GB SSD Corsair 900D EK watercooling Corsair RM1000 ASUS PB278Q

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
If you downclock the card to standard refference base clock and boost clock with Afterburner or something like that does this still happen.

Also when you say three different systems is that different installs of Firestrike and different graphics driver versions? Just to rule those things out...

MatsGlobetrotter wrote:
maybe its your version of drivers, Firestrike, DX11 Win 7 patches and so forth test in another benchmarker that push the card the same way. If its 3 different computers, 2 different GPUs then its not 100% the GPU card.. then it can be a whole lot of other issues. . Unless ofcourse you have a generic hardware issue in the PCIE port that destroy the card in the first machine and then show the same issue in the others, who knows.

I tried 3 different drivers versions for the gpu and the same think happen..
The pc runs "like a charm" with others gpu's..
Ι borrowed from my friends an r9 290 dcii and an gtx780(not ti) and works fine, no issue at all.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
If you downclock the card to standard refference base clock and boost clock with Afterburner or something like that does this still happen.

If i downclock the card to standard refference base clock and boost clock the gpu runs 3dmark fire strike with no issues, no problem.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:

Also when you say three different systems is that different installs of Firestrike and different graphics driver versions? Just to rule those things out...

In the three different systems i tried 3 different installs of 3dmark fire strike and 3 different graphics driver versions but the problem was exact the same..

trelokomio wrote:
If i downclock the card to standard refference base clock and boost clock the gpu runs 3dmark fire strike with no issues, no problem.

In that case and with all the other substitutions... I think the card is bad and can't handle the factory OC...you sure they gave you a new one not the old one back?...either way you'll just have to send it back and this time with a damning letter of complaint. 😞

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
In that case and with all the other substitutions... I think the card is bad and can't handle the factory OC...you sure they gave you a new one not the old one back?...either way you'll just have to send it back and this time with a damning letter of complaint. 😞

Yes i am sure, because i hold the s/n of the fisrt one and the second one had different serial number, so iam absolutely sure that he gave me new card!

If cant handle the factory oc both of the cards, how is possible to run stable other benches an the problem appears only at 3dmark fire strike?

trelokomio wrote:
Yes i am sure, because i hold the s/n of the fisrt one and the second one had different serial number, so iam absolutely sure that he gave me new card!

If cant handle the factory oc both of the cards, how is possible to run stable other benches an the problem appears only at 3dmark fire strike?

RMA the card that is unable to run the factory OC and be done with the issue. The cards must work as stated. If you have confirmation that your PSU is working correctly and providing the correct amount of wattage to the cards then it has to be a fault of a card. Or maybe both cards.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.