cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is A RAIDR Express worth it

JimmyH
Level 10
I am just wondering if I would notice the difference between a standard SSD and a RAIDR Express, and along with that, what are the speed comparisons between the RAIDR Express and the new M2 mSata.

I just want to know if it would be worth my while to outlay the $$$
6 REPLIES 6

Nos_Defions
Level 7
JimmyH,

I had two of the ROG RAIDR Express devices and would honestly not recommend purchasing them. I believe they are grossly overpriced and are very problematic & aggravating to get configured & optimized.

I believe there are better solutions as far as more storage, at a better price, faster more reliable performance, and probably a much easier setup.

The RAIDR has a nice LED red light & logo, and has a nice looking perforated cover. But in the end, it was an overpriced, finicky aggravation.

I initially tried to set up one, then added the second later. Whether one or two, it was nothing but headaches.

If you have money to burn, and plenty of time to nurse the system into proper function, then maybe it would be OK (Plus, you will probably need access to a RAIDR super-tech to help troubleshoot & configure your build with this item).

I really wanted the RAIDR Express to work, and it would have been great in my ROG build, but I got rid of them (happily).

There are some interesting devices out now, & others are being shown at COMPUTEX 2014. I would recommend doing further research to find a better performing, less aggravating, cost-effective solution.

Solutions I am currently considering: Performance/Enthusiast SSD (many good ones are available with larger capacity, & certainly a more reasonable price), or PCIe SSD, e.g.: Intel SSD DC 3500-series, note: 3700 & 3600 are better performers, but at a much higher cost, 3500 will work for a performance build/non-server system.

I have previously conisidered the Plextor M6E PCI Express SSD (not as pretty as the RAIDR, but reviewed with higher ratings).

M.2 may possibly be an options, if you can find a good price & they meet you needs. Although other solutions may be overtaking the M.2 storage, and are making it less relevant.

In summary, this all depends on your budget, the focus of your build/upgrade, and the nature of your storage, speed, & performance requirements. Research wisely before wasting money & causing unwanted problems for your build. In general, beware of the hype, and of shinny things that may not be what you expect.
System Info: Maximus VI Extreme; Intel i7-4770k; G.Skill Trident-X, 2400 x 32 GB; PNY Optima, 240 GB x 3; WD Black, 4 TB x 2; EVGA 780 Ti Dual Classified ACX; Cooler Master HAF-X; Cooler Master Nepton 280L; Corsair AF 120 & 140mm Fans, Cooler Master MegaFlow 200 & 230mm Fans; XFX Pro 1000W, Platinum PSU; Windows 8.1 Pro; Logitech G19s, G602 & C920; Accessories: ASUS- ROG Front Base, ThunderboltEX II, & NFC Express; NZXT- HUE RGB LED Controller, IU01 USB Expander, & Grid Fan Hub.

Nos_Defions
Level 7
JimmyH,

I had two of the ROG RAIDR Express devices and would honestly not recommend purchasing them. I believe they are grossly overpriced and are very problematic & aggravating to get configured & optimized.

I believe there are better solutions as far as more storage, at a better price, faster more reliable performance, and probably a much easier setup.

The RAIDR has a nice LED red light & logo, and has a nice looking perforated cover. But in the end, it was an overpriced, finicky aggravation.

I initially tried to set up one, then added the second later. Whether one or two, it was nothing but headaches.

If you have money to burn, and plenty of time to nurse the system into proper function, then maybe it would be OK (Plus, you will probably need access to a RAIDR super-tech to help troubleshoot & configure your build with this item).

I really wanted the RAIDR Express to work, and it would have been great in my ROG build, but I got rid of them (happily).

There are some interesting devices out now, & others are being shown at COMPUTEX 2014. I would recommend doing further research to find a better performing, less aggravating, cost-effective solution.

Solutions I am currently considering: Performance/Enthusiast SSD (many good ones are available with larger capacity, & certainly a more reasonable price), or PCIe SSD, e.g.: Intel SSD DC 3500-series, note: 3700 & 3600 are better performers, but at a much higher cost, 3500 will work for a performance build/non-server system.

I have previously considered the Plextor M6E PCI Express SSD (not as pretty as the RAIDR, but reviewed with higher ratings).  

M.2 may possibly be an options, if you can find a good price & they meet you needs.  Although other solutions may be overtaking the M.2 storage, and are making it less relevant.

In summary, this all depends on your budget, the focus of your build/upgrade, and the nature of your storage, speed, & performance requirements. Research wisely before wasting money & causing unwanted problems for your build. In general, beware of the hype, and of shinny things that may not be what you expect.
System Info: Maximus VI Extreme; Intel i7-4770k; G.Skill Trident-X, 2400 x 32 GB; PNY Optima, 240 GB x 3; WD Black, 4 TB x 2; EVGA 780 Ti Dual Classified ACX; Cooler Master HAF-X; Cooler Master Nepton 280L; Corsair AF 120 & 140mm Fans, Cooler Master MegaFlow 200 & 230mm Fans; XFX Pro 1000W, Platinum PSU; Windows 8.1 Pro; Logitech G19s, G602 & C920; Accessories: ASUS- ROG Front Base, ThunderboltEX II, & NFC Express; NZXT- HUE RGB LED Controller, IU01 USB Expander, & Grid Fan Hub.

Nos_Defions
Level 7
JimmyH,

I have previously considered the Plextor M6E PCI Express SSD (not as pretty as the RAIDR, but reviewed with higher ratings).

M.2 may possibly be an options, if you can find a good price & they meet your needs. Although other solutions may be overtaking the M.2 storage, and are making it less relevant.

Antronman
Level 10
As stated above, they are grossly overpriced.

You're better off with an OCZ Revodrive 350
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

MatsGlobetrotte
Level 10
I hate to admit it but have seen nothing that would warrant the price and hassle. I thought I had done everything to get the full UEFI experience with the speed.. nah,. dont know what but obviously something was still wrong.. I do see the slightly faster performance in some (few) scenarios over the normal SSD but in reality nothing that is significant so could have used the money for a bigger Samsung or another Samsung on SSD.

But atleast it looks good 😉 sigghhh so can only agree with Nos
It started with a VIC-20... and now it is. Maximus Formula VI Intel 4770K 4.6GHz ASUS GTX780Ti 3GB Corsair Platinum Dominator 16GB 2400MHz Raid Express 240GB Samsung EVO 512 GB SSD Corsair 900D EK watercooling Corsair RM1000 ASUS PB278Q

HiVizMan
Level 40
Better is such a difficult term to define. For some better means what it looks like, or what the brand name is. Just think ear phones for example.

Better performance then the PCI SSD ranges are going to blow all SATA based SSD out of the water for speed. Intel have released some impressive PCI SSD cards with upto 2GB capacity. Not sure if you can boot OS from them as yet but pretty sure that some kind of bios fix will sort that out.

For now a quality large capacity SSD will do the job just as well and that would be my recommendation.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.