cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750 js 870m gpu gaming problem

djadam
Level 7
hello all so im brand new and need help pleaseeeeee!!!

so i just got the g750 js that has the 870m gpu

basically on games or any usage the clock usually will go to the max clock then drop significantly low. like im saying watchdogs with optimal settings from nvidia starting off above 900mhz with a good almost 40fps then dropping to 400mhz sometimes lower. i just watch it drop on gpu-z usually bottoms out at around 230 mhz

atm right now this is what the main menu has for watchdogs 37393

help me please what is going on here.

here are all the stats 37394

with furmark its even worse clock speeds at like 160mhz during benchmark!!!!! it drops instantly.

btw yes im in performance mode, yes nvidia control panel is set right. i hope.

few other stats:
windows 8.1
gpu driver 337.88
base clock 941 mhz
8 REPLIES 8

djadam
Level 7
doing a bit of testing here it seems that if the gpu is being utilized alot like close to 100% it down-clocks wtf why would it do that my temps are great and i need those clocks played rust just a small bit and the clock stayed good gpu usage was around 50% ish

theclaw37
Level 9
Try downloading MSI Afterburner and creating a OC profile for the 870m. Overclock it just a little so you can save your profile and force the GPU at that clock. Throttling usually occurs when you have high temps. Are you sure your temps are ok?

Also, you can try running the fans at full speed from Asus GPU Tweak, and see if the throttling comes back.

fans are full almost always i like a cool computer those temps are double checked avg for watchdogs is exactly what u see in that sensors pic. on the graphics card tab the bost clock was updated. boosting to 987mhz now with a slight mem oc too. the clck though did not change at all. played a bit with no clock change at all

djadam
Level 7
fans are full almost always i like a cool computer those temps are double checked avg for watchdogs is exactly what u see in that sensors pic. on the graphics card tab the bost clock was updated. boosting to 987mhz now with a slight mem oc too. the clck though did not change at all. played a bit with no clock change at all

djadam
Level 7
tried all that before already. doesn't work. ive double checked my temps they stay around 60 c all though gaming. and i leave the fans on full almost always. i like having a cool computer

djadam
Level 7
just a update anyone who is looking. some weird things happen with the clock of the gpu for eg on some games like on the load screen going form main menu to the game clock is full speed. but when game loads it drops usually into the 400-200 mhz range. but iv noticed i had an application that was set to use high end graphics and it had the gpu running at full clock continuously. so we know it can be done. this was the gpu tweak program for laptops it was set to use the nvidia gpu and was at full clock. so idk why games have issues.

djadam wrote:
just a update anyone who is looking. some weird things happen with the clock of the gpu for eg on some games like on the load screen going form main menu to the game clock is full speed. but when game loads it drops usually into the 400-200 mhz range. but iv noticed i had an application that was set to use high end graphics and it had the gpu running at full clock continuously. so we know it can be done. this was the gpu tweak program for laptops it was set to use the nvidia gpu and was at full clock. so idk why games have issues.

djadam brought me in via PM, we are discussing there too.

One thought, it might be happening to others, but they aren't noticing. It might also be normal, downclocking when the load drops is normal, but if it is in full load, and the speed drops with an FPS speed drop, or if it goes low during low action and then doesn't clock back up - that is a problem

Anyone else with a JS/JM/JZ able to replicate djadam's observations?

D-day
Level 7
having similar issue im not as tech savvy as you fine fellows but i just but a g750js and it optimized (by its self) for ultra on skyrim after about five min of play the game freezes. I Have updated all drivers and gone to the nvidea control panel and set it to only use the 870m card. should i try disabling the intel card from the device driver menu?