cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair V Formula-Z Q-Code 50

evan_snyder
Level 7
So this is my first PC build and this was an unexpected problem I ran into. Before actually building my PC, I spent a load of time doing research. I sat down today to build the computer and on my first boot, the Q code jumped to 50 which is "Incompatible memory" or something of the sort. After some troubleshooting and Googling, I had no answers. I spent 6+ hours on the whole thing and to no avail. I have tested each of my 2 DIMMs in each of the four RAM slots. I even removed my RAM entirely and still got Q- Code 50 instead of 55 which is "no RAM installed"

I have checked that it was all seated properly. I attempted to use MemOk with no success as well. I get no display to my gpu so I cant access the BIOS to change the voltage/frequency of the memory sticks Ive aso tried removing the CMOS battery amd updating the BIOS via flash drive with no success. Any Ideas???

Build:
Mobo: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z
RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 16Gb 2133Mhz (2x 8Gb)
CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0Ghz 8-cores
SSD: Crucial MX100 256Gb SSD
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3Tb
GPU: PowerColor AMD Radeon R9 290
11 REPLIES 11

TheNerdBench
Level 10
Welcome to the Asus ROG Forum,

The first thing I would do is see if the memory functions in another computer or attempt to use know good memory from another system in yours. If you are still getting an error I would take all of the parts out of the case and bench-test the system first.

I know you said you re-installed the memory but this motherboard uses a single side memory slot "connector" which is a bit difficult to get memory installed in. So in a nut shell re-install ONE memory module when the motherboard is outside the case; then it will be much easier to check the "seating" of the memory (I know you said you checked that but that would be a very difficult to see even in the largest of cases).

Fast memory by the way too!

Keep us posted on your progress and I would strongly encourage you to get a stable system up and running for at least a few weeks before you begin to change voltages/freq (be sure to check out some recent posts on this subject in the forum also as well as some guides).

[/HR]
For trouble-shooting tips see my blog at:

[/HR]
http://thenerdbench.blogspot.com/p/bench-testing.html

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

evan_snyder
Level 7
I was not able to put my memory into another computer but I did have a friend bring me a stick of his RAM(crucial Sport 4Gb[1x4Gb] 1333Mhz) and even that threw out the Q Code 50. Then I tried with MemOk! And still got the same results. Once again, I removed all DIMM sticks and still got 50 instead of 55 so I am going to RMA the board. As well, I will find some QVL accepted memory and put that in the system to ensure compatibility once my board is returned. If nothing else, I will cry a lot and buy a different board entirely like the Sabertooth(despite that it doesn't match my color scheme) oh and I'm using a Corsair 750D Full Tower Case. I forgot that in the build description. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm disappointed to have to RMA a board that cost me $280 but I suppose faulty hardware happens and there isn't much that we can do about it

TheNerdBench
Level 10
Seeming you have to remove your motherboard for RMAing give the bench-testing method as suggested...they may be a mis-placed standoff in your case that may of been shorting out the motherboard causing the error.

Also be sure to observe ESD Precautions and also ONLY install/remove items on the motherboard while the switch on the PSU is in the OFF/0 position too.

[/HR]

[/HR]

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

HiVizMan
Level 40
I would be interested in hearing how this turns out. The first thing that screamed out to me was CPU.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I tried the bench test with no success. With the case I'm using, I wouldn't have considered that one an option. I trust Corsair a lot.

One guy posted a forum on here saying he got code 50 with a VGA led lit up but I think he was misinterpreting the board bc of the way they wrote which LED's were where on the board. He RMA'd his board.

A ton of reviews on Newegg also show that this board is loaded with problems and many of them are memory problems like what I'm having.(I got mine from Microcenter. It was the last one they had in stock.) I will try one RMA with this board(some people said they went through three or four RMA's before Asus gave them a good one and they also said that Asus's tech support was horrid.

Thanks for the help, sorry I couldn't turn better results with it. I'll be grabbing some more reliable RAM along with this RMA. Hopefully they just send me a brand new board entirely.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Good luck mate, as to the board I have had quite a few of them in the last few years and personally would not bench with any other kind. To put things in perspective I will bench any brand of motherboard or graphic card what ever I think is the best. When I set the AMD super Pi 32 mil WR this was the board of choice for me.

Take care.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

evan_snyder
Level 7
So I'm not sure what happened. Ive been waiting to hear back on my ram and I got bored and decided to run another bench test. This time, I got different results.

With just CPU and RAM in, I got error 66. Then I added my GPU and that put me with error d7. So I added my SSD and nothing changed. Then I cased it. Hoping that putting the machine in the case would lead it to the next part of POST. With 1 SSD, 1 GPU, my CPU, and both sticks of RAM(In slots A2 and B2) in, as well as the case power LED, the HDD led, and the reset button all wired on, I get Q Codes D7, 66, and 99. Any ideas?

evan_snyder
Level 7
Okay, another update.

I flashed my BIOS and that kick started me past 66. Now I'm getting AE which is "Legacy Boot Event." looking this up online, I got results about the RAM being seated improperly, etc. I'm also getting the VGA_LED light to turn on. my card has an 8-pin power connector AND a 6-pin connector. I'm using the 8-pin currently but I'm not sure it makes a difference.

Q Code AE is also referenced as pretty much being ready for POST to hand over control to the OS but I don't have an OS installed, it still doesn't let me get into the BIOS, and I have no optical drive bc I was going to install my OS via flashdrive.

TheNerdBench
Level 10
First some GPU will not operate unless all PCIe power connectors are populated; some GPU will function at a reduced rate with only some of the PCIe power connectors populated.

When you get the graphics card issue sorted you should be able to use the "Direct Key" button on the motherboard to access the BIOS. Also be sure that you have your keyboard plugged into a white USB port (not a blue USB 3.0 port).

Sounds like you are making progress.

BTW: I've been in the business a long time (since the mid 1980s) and for what it is worth I've never come across a fully defective motherboard...take those reviews with a grain of salt:)

[/HR]

[/HR]

[/HR]

[/HR]