cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sabertooth Z87 New build - no integrated graphics output

FireChild666
Level 7
Hi all,

I eventually bought new bits for a new build and I planned to add a couple fo new graphics cards with several monitors in a couple of months.

I bought a Sabertooth Z87 mobo with an i7-4770k processer and 2 x 8GB RAM.

So after various testing swapping out parts and many reboots it would seem that I have an iffy mobo that I need to send back but due to hassle and the time this would cause I thought I would ask you your thoughts. I setup the unit and plugged in the integrated HDMI port to the TV, I just cant get an output. I have also tried the same tv and cable through a HDMI to display port adapter which has the same results.

When something is connected (HDMI, display port or even an old PCIe card) on the POST the VGA LED stays lit, with nothing connected the NO BOOT DEVICE LED stays lit which is fine as I have not installed an OS yet. Removing the RAM causes the RAM LED to be lit which is fine but I also tried moving the RAM stick to different slots (you never know).

I plugged in my laptop to the same HDMI cable to the same TV and that came up straight away without issue.
I have reset the BIOS via the jumper a few times
Tried to flash the BIOS but I am not sure on the results of that as I still have no output.
I display did actually come up on the PC upon 'one' reboot but never to be seen again.
I have removed the CPU to see if there is any damaged to the pins on the motherboard but appears fine.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, if's been a long time since I bought a PC but I never had any issues before.
4 REPLIES 4

jab383
Level 13
Integrated graphics and the HDMI connection usually work fine. I use that combination regularly, but not exclusively with a TV.

Intel seems to be a stickler for standards. The integrated graphics depends on a EDID from the monitor -- a configuration table the monitor sends to the VGA upon request. The VGA then sets screen size, frame rate etc. accordingly. The TV probably doesn't have an EDID - few do. At least at first, I think you need a true PC monitor to get a display, even from BIOS.

Jeff

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Please test with a proper monitor to rule out the all too common handshaking issue between motherboards and TVs.

FireChild666
Level 7
Thanks for your replies, I'm off to purchase one tomorrow and will let you know.

FireChild666
Level 7
All sorted, just did not like my TV. Plugged in to a monitor and it worked straight away with both HDMI and Display port.