cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG Laptop Cooling

Torpedo499
Level 7
Hello,

So recently, my laptop temperatures have been a bit higher, like instead of 40-44C while browsing/streaming, it is now 44-47C
My temperatures are also a bit higher while gaming. The ambient temperature is not higher. I was wondering why it is going up/what can I do to keep temperatures down? I spray the back of my vents with compressed air about 2 or 3 times a month, and usually I see dust coming out. Can anyone tell me how to keep temps down without underclocking/undervolting? If you can recommenced cooling that fits this laptop, i'd appreciate it!

Asus ROG G750JW

Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5

senttel
Level 7
well if ur temps are under 50c that is pretty neat! And by the way why u dont want to undervolt? I run my JW with -120mv and it runs smooth and nice 🙂 dont be afraid of undervolting, start with -50mv and test if it works decently - no random crashes etc. if it does then start lowering it by 10-20mv to find the undervolt that ur cpu is able to run with, trust me it will bring ur temps down 5-10c

senttel wrote:
by the way why u dont want to undervolt?, trust me it will bring ur temps down 5-10c

I do want to undervolt, but won't it void the warranty? and really 10c sounds like a really good drop, would that be for both the CPU and Motherboard? Thanks.

Torpedo499 wrote:
I do want to undervolt, but won't it void the warranty? and really 10c sounds like a really good drop, would that be for both the CPU and Motherboard? Thanks.

Torpedo499, why would you think XTU would invalidate the Warranty?

Intel XTU is an Intel distributed utility for tuning the Intel i7 CPU, supported by Intel.

Asus ROG is all about performance tuning.

Asus provides the Asus GPU Tweak tool as part of the OS install on the new JM/JS/JZ.

But, if you do worry about it, file a Technical Inquiry with Asus and ask politely, and in detail, to confirm with Asus. 🙂
http://vip.asus.com

CPU heats up the motherboard, so yes any reduction in heat generated by the CPU will cool off the motherboard, and the laptop - and reduce the need for the fan to run to expel heat out of the laptop.

It will also reduce the drain on the battery, logically resulting in longer run times on battery.

Maybe the run-time on battery won't be measurably improved, but it's the thought that counts 🙂

hmscott wrote:
Torpedo499, why would you think XTU would invalidate the Warranty?

Intel XTU is an Intel distributed utility for tuning the Intel i7 CPU, supported by Intel.

Asus ROG is all about performance tuning.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot later, I'm still wondering why its a bit warmer, however.

Torpedo499 wrote:
Thanks, I'll give it a shot later, I'm still wondering why its a bit warmer, however.

Could be lots of things. System updates over time, other background processes running during this run vs older runs, your memory, the position of the laptop on a surface - reflecting heat back to the intake/laptop, lots of things.

Unless you have a scientifically detailed control environment, you have to cut some slack 😉