cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with g74sx - mostly related to graphics, but also some other quirks

Retired
Not applicable
Ok hey people, I've been struggling with my g74sx since i got it in september. I love it, but it's a thin line between love and hate.

From the day (!) i unboxed it and fired it up for the first time, I've been getting intense screen flickering within the first period after booting the system. The flickering results in a graphic driver crash and a following recovery. This happens in intervals between 5 seconds to several minutes. The flickering before the recovery can last for anything between 2 seconds to several minutes aswell. Sometimes, about one out of 15-20 recovery, the screen goes black and i will need to restart by pressing the power button. I also experience that windows freezes for a minute or two before it resumes.

The thing is that the computer works perfectly when it comes to gaming, I can be in Fallout New Vegas on ultra settings and tab out to a flickering desktop. It doesn't affect the gaming what so ever. This has made me think if there's something wrong with computer hardware figuration and windows 7.

How I've been able to deal is by waiting it out and restarting when the frequency of the recoveries has gone down.
So to get to the case, I've been trying alot of different things to solve this and i will list them now in hope that it might help you gentle folks to give me any pointers on what to do.
- I've tried older drivers. I even modded .inf-files to make them accept the 560m.
- I've tried downclocking with EVGA precision. Also been monitoring GPU temperatures with this to be sure that the recoveries and flickering will burn it up.
- I've tried a fresh and clean windows 7 install without any of the software bundles, and tried different drivers there too.
- I've uninstalled unnecessary software.

So I'm at the end of the line here. Thinking about taking advantage of the 1-year warranty and send it in, but it's a last resort because i assume it will take forever and asus tech support hotline talked to me like I'm a grandma with a new computer. As of most computer gamers of my generation, a month without a computer is a long stretch.

Any help troubleshooting this is deeply appreciated.
16 REPLIES 16

JRd1st
Level 12
Sounds like a loose cable or something.

Next time you're gaming tap in several places to see if you can get any flickering or any visual disturbances. In any case it seems like hardware.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Retired
Not applicable
I will try this, thank you for the reply. Still doesn't seem to explain how it settles and stop after I've been using the computer for a little while though, but worth a shot 🙂

jujj wrote:
I will try this, thank you for the reply. Still doesn't seem to explain how it settles and stop after I've been using the computer for a little while though, but worth a shot 🙂

Because when it heats up the bad connection might get good. Electronics does all sorts of weird things.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

dstrakele
Level 14
You mentioned you tried older drivers. Did you try the latest 285.38 BETA driver from NVIDEA? See http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?4791-g73sw-ws1b-BSOD-driver-recovered-message-pink-dots... and get the driver with modded INF from http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?1150-G73-74-53-Series-Driver-and-Application-Reference

However, if it does "settle and stop" after you used the computer, it could be the raised temperature has caused metal in a connection to expand and be better connected?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Retired
Not applicable
dstrakele wrote:
You mentioned you tried older drivers. Did you try the latest 285.38 BETA driver from NVIDEA? See http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?4791-g73sw-ws1b-BSOD-driver-recovered-message-pink-dots... and get the driver with modded INF from http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?1150-G73-74-53-Series-Driver-and-Application-Reference

However, if it does "settle and stop" after you used the computer, it could be the raised temperature has caused metal in a connection to expand and be better connected?

Maybe not the most effective replies by me here with all these smal replies but anyhow: I relate to the first link and the posters issues, black stripes and pink dots in the screen tear, and not when playing games, but when messing about in windows. Like browsers. I can force crash/recovery by watching a movie on f.e. youtube. Also been browsing and googling forums hours on end, looking at related issues and possible sollutions, but this is infact the first thread I've seen being that similar to my issues 🙂

I have tried the driver in second link with the modded inf, issues persisted though.
Ty for replies so far 🙂

Chastity
Level 10
Does the panel not go nutsy if it's in 60Hz refresh mode?
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

Retired
Not applicable
Chastity@ASUS wrote:
Does the panel not go nutsy if it's in 60Hz refresh mode?

Maybe its not g74sx i have because its not the model with the 120Hz 3D-screen. So, regular screen, 60Hz 🙂

Retired
Not applicable
Tried the new beta drivers yes, no change with them.
And makes sense with then heating and expanding when i think about it now! Will try and test, but actually doing something physically will void my waranty, no?

dstrakele
Level 14
Unfortunately, the guy in the thread that is similar to your issue does appear to get some relief from the 285.38 BETA driver. Did you uninstall the current NVIDEA driver, reboot, check for any remaining NVIDEA drivers, then install the 285.38 BETA driver? If so, it could be NVIDEA has more work to do. I'd consider opening a case with them.

There could still be a hardware issue on your system requiring you to return it for repair. Particularly since you experienced the problem from the moment you unboxed your system.

What is your G74SX model?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT