cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JZ GPU overheat?

Tindrael
Level 7
Hi!
I was playing some Crysis 3, Bioshock Infinite and Metro 2033 on my JZ (love this laptop!), however I noticed that I have a slightly higher GPU temp during these games than others have. Others report having 74-79C, while I was having 83-85C after 20min+ of gaming. Ambient temp is 26C.

Just for the hell of it I tried Furmark. I know that Furmark does not represent the highest temp that a user gets during gaming, but still it is a good way to test the thermal paste and the cooling system.

First I ran the 15 min test which gave me 70-74C (avg fps during test was 12)

Then I tried the Burn-in stress test at 1920x1080 resolution and the temp I've got shocked me, not even the GPU fas was able to keep up and I've reached the GPU throttle level in less then 3 minutes. Avg FPS was 38.

Here is a screenshot:

Is this normal for ALL G750JZ models or this is due to bad thermal paste or cooling system and I should send it back for a replacement ? What are you guys getting for max temp during burn-in test and 15 min test?

Thank you.
15 REPLIES 15

sasuke256
Level 7
well 93° is way too high for the JZ, it seems that JZ are most likely to go max 80° for the gpu..
Laptop : ASUS G750JW : i7 4700HQ - 16Gb - 2Tb HDD - GTX 765M OC (+135/500) - Full HD Matte - Win 8.1
Retiered : Toshiba L670 i5 560M/8Gb Corsair/1TB/HD5650 1Gb @ 625/800 /WD 1Tb USB3/Win7

sasuke256 wrote:
well 93° is way too high for the JZ, it seems that JZ are most likely to go max 80° for the gpu..

Even during a Furmark Burn-in test?

Tindrael wrote:
Even during a Furmark Burn-in test?

the most my JZ went to was 85 C.... anything more then that isn't acceptable.

Can you please make a screenshot while Furmark is running?

I am thinking now about sending it back and I might include your screenshot as explanation that my temp is not "normal".

Thank you!

ps: What is your ambient temp ?

pps: Is there a way to turn on the GPU fan to max RPM?

Tindrael wrote:
Can you please make a screenshot while Furmark is running?

I am thinking now about sending it back and I might include your screenshot as explanation that my temp is not "normal".

Thank you!

ps: What is your ambient temp ?

pps: Is there a way to turn on the GPU fan to max RPM?

Yes there is a way to turn fan to max. Open GPU tweak that came with your PC

the max my fan hit was 85 c doing burn in at 1080.. I Left GPU fan at idle during test
AND i overclock my GPU so your temps are not normal

Hi, is that FAN control option avaible only for the JZ and the new 2014 series with 8XXM graphics? I have got JX and I would welcome this option, also.

ultimate2368 wrote:
Hi, is that FAN control option avaible only for the JZ and the new 2014 series with 8XXM graphics? I have got JX and I would welcome this option, also.

It seems that only the 8XXM asus g750 laptops have this option, and they most likely added it because those models run hotter.

ultimate2368 wrote:
Hi, is that FAN control option available only for the JZ and the new 2014 series with 8XXM graphics? I have got JX and I would welcome this option, also.

ultimate2368, it's funny how we want what we don't have 🙂

It is actually a good thing that the JW/JX/JH don't have a Full Speed Fan mode, it was added to the JM/JX/JZ because the new laptops run hotter, and need the extra noisy cooling... not a good thing.

My JH performs as fast and faster, and runs cooler than the JZ without the Full Speed Fan option, which means it runs quieter too. Which is a good thing.

The MSI's come with a "Turbo Fan" switch on the keyboard platform, just under the screen, and when the CPU starts thermal throttling, you need to press that "Turbo Fan" button to turn on the fan to cool the CPU/GPU - and that fan noise is beyond description - I took it back because to actually use the laptop I had to have that fan on all the time - unacceptable.

The JW/JX/JH run cooler and quieter, without a forced high speed / noisy fan mode. And they are better for it.

It's strange that the JM/JS/JZ need the Full Speed Fan mode to cool properly.

The JM/JS/JZ GPU cooling is advertised as better because the heatsink has Copper in it. And, the JM/JS have lower power GPU's that generate less heat, yet for some reason they are requiring Full Speed Fan to cool on a supposedly better heatsink - it looks like the new heatsink / cooler doesn't perform as well as the cooling system in the JW/JX/JH.

The JZ 880m is the same GK104 as the 780m in the JH, but the 880m is configured with a higher max clock - pre overclocked to perform better out of the box without additional OC tuning. I can understand why the JZ would need Full Speed Fan if the JZ heatsink were the same as in the heatsink JH, but the JZ has a Copper heatsink upgrade which is supposed to cool more efficiently, reducing the need for Full Speed Fan.

Somehow the implementation of the new JM/JM/JZ cooling system isn't as good as expected - I think the "Full Fan" option was added to make up for an unexpected problem, not as a "cool" new feature 🙂

Tindrael
Level 7
You are doing the 15 min Burn-in benchmark, I am talking about the Burn-in test!
The test does not have a time limit and it runs with higher FPS.

During the 15min burn-in benchmark my temp stays below 80C, only during the burn-in test it reaches 93C!

Here is my 15-min Burn in benchmark result:

Strangely it runs on much lower FPS for me than for you, is that because of the OC?

My computer did not come with pre-installed OS, I heard there are 2 kinds of GPU Tweak tool, which one should I install ?