560Ti in SLI wierdness

Running a pair on an Asus Sabertooth 990FX. It took some time just to get the video drivers to work but now when I open the nVidia Control Panel it says they are in SLI.

However, there are a few things that I really don't understand. As background please note I have swapped the cards in their PCIe slots, I have RMAed both cards. Nothing has changed.

The issue is the card in the slave position always runs 14-16 degrees C cooler than the master card AND indicates zero GPU activity. I have used a half dozen programs to look at both cards when they are running 3D and the master card cranks up the GPU load (and temp) as one would expect but the slave card never goes above zero load.

This is my second SLI set-up. The first with a pair of 6800s was not like this.
    Kurt "Froglips" Giesselman

System specs: Asus Sabertooth 990FX, AMD FX 4170, 16GB dual channel DDR3 16000 RAM, 2 x Palit 560Ti 2GB video cards in SLI, 2 x WD Raptors 70GB RAID 0 array (System), Corsair 64GB SSHD (Sims), 2 x Hitachi 200GB RAID 1 array (Data), TIR 4, Auria 26" main display, HP 21.5" Helios touch display, XKeys Pro panel, Copy Cat Controls w/ custom cyclic/collective/rudder

scene-whore
    first off what are you using to up the load ?

Quote Originally Posted by scene-whore View Post
    first off what are you using to up the load ?
    I have used MSI Kumbustor, DCS Warthog, and Black Shark. Kumbustor always cranks the master card up to 100% GPU load. My frame rates are tolerable on both flight sims.

Perhaps I don't understand how SLI works. It just seems very odd to me that the slave card isn't really working at all.

System specs: Asus Sabertooth 990FX, AMD FX 4170, 16GB dual channel DDR3 16000 RAM, 2 x Palit 560Ti 2GB video cards in SLI, 2 x WD Raptors 70GB RAID 0 array (System), Corsair 64GB SSHD (Sims), 2 x Hitachi 200GB RAID 1 array (Data), TIR 4, Auria 26" main display, HP 21.5" Helios touch display, XKeys Pro panel, Copy Cat Controls w/ custom cyclic/collective/rudder

scene-whore
    i sadly know either test suit your using, and would only need to check three things, drivers, nvidia controler, and pci slot or bridge connector or its possible your psu is not powering the gpu

scene-whore
    dont forget their is a nvidia option to enable sli and then choosing a dedicated card for pyshx

Brian@ASUS
    A few things to remember. first off, your second GPU will most likely always run slightly cooler than the primary card. this is because of spacing issues. the second card has more air to breath than the 1st card, as it is either sandwiched behind the 2nd card, or even if they are spread out a bit, it is still intaking the heat that is being exhausted from the 2nd card. make sure you have the sli bridge on, make sure you install the latest nvidia drivers, all the power cables are plugged in, and make sure you enable SLI in the nvidia control panel. you can use gpu-z to see if card 1 and 2 loads are working. i would use a benchmark like AVP, or streetfighter, resident evil, or any 3dmark06 vantage etc. the application and games need to take advantage of SLI technology. if the game or app does not, the 2nd card wont do anything and will be idle. SLI does not magically give you double the performance, the software needs to support it, although most games these days do. kombuster is a stress program and may only be stressing one card. not necessarily stressing both cards in SLI.

Retired MOD and Reviewer Array

3D Mark 11 and 3D Mark Vantage is what I like to test SLI with; run the tests with one card and then run the same tests again with both cards installed and SLI enabled.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian@ASUS View Post
    A few things to remember. first off, your second GPU will most likely always run slightly cooler than the primary card. this is because of spacing issues. the second card has more air to breath than the 1st card, as it is either sandwiched behind the 2nd card, or even if they are spread out a bit, it is still intaking the heat that is being exhausted from the 2nd card. make sure you have the sli bridge on, make sure you install the latest nvidia drivers, all the power cables are plugged in, and make sure you enable SLI in the nvidia control panel.

I am running GeForce 285.38 Driver. SLI bridge on. SLI enabled (and shows it). 1000w PSU with four rails, each GPU gets power from two separate rails.
    Yes, I get the heat thing. Four 120mm case fans, however video card one is probably intaking hot exhaust off CPU. I will try to craft a duct system to get it cool outside air.

you can use gpu-z to see if card 1 and 2 loads are working. i would use a benchmark like AVP, or streetfighter, resident evil, or any 3dmark06 vantage etc. the application and games need to take advantage of SLI technology. if the game or app does not, the 2nd card wont do anything and will be idle. SLI does not magically give you double the performance, the software needs to support it, although most games these days do. kombuster is a stress program and may only be stressing one card. not necessarily stressing both cards in SLI.
    Brian,
    Thanks for the insights. I have downloaded GPU-Z and the 3DMark benchmarks (11, Vantage, 06). I will report back with results. My primary use for this PC is flight sims, specifically the DCS A-10C Warthog and KA-50 Black Shark sims. I believe Black Shark is a DX9 sim and Warthog a DX10 sim.

Thanks

Results of 3DMark06

Wierd. CPU-Z identifies processor as a 945. GPU are 2GB Palit 560Tis. GPU-Z gets them correct. I am overclocking them to 950mHz. Both cards cranked up their fans during the test and heated up to mid-50s. I guess they are both working.

Processor
    AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 820 Processor
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Processor clock
    2678 MHz
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Physical / logical processors
    1 / 4

# of cores

Graphics Card

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Vendor
    Unknown

# of cards

SLI / CrossFire
    On

Memory
    32 MB

Core clock
    0 MHz

Memory clock
    0 MHz

Driver name

Driver version

Driver status
    Not FM Approved

General

Operating system
    64-bit Windows 7 (6.1.7601)

Motherboard
    ASUSTeK Computer INC. SABERTOOTH 990FX

Memory
    16340 MB

Detailed scores

3DMark Score

15034 3DMarks

SM2.0 Score

HDR/SM3.0 Score

CPU Score

GT1 - Return To Proxycon

44.81 FPS

GT2 - Firefly Forest

45.64 FPS

CPU1 - Red Valley

1.3 FPS

CPU2 - Red Valley

1.92 FPS

HDR1 - Canyon Flight

100.04 FPS

HDR2 - Deep Freeze

56.5 FPS

Settings

Default settings used
    Yes

Width

Height

Anti-Aliasing
    None

Texture Filtering
    Optimal

VS Profile
    3_0

PS Profile
    3_0