cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP: Best way to Un-Partition G750JS-DS71?

SleepyJacky
Level 7
Recently I had purchased a G750JS-DS71, and upon looking at my storage I saw that the 1TB Hard Drive and the 256GB SSD are partitioned oddly... (C, D, E, & F) Upon further inspection, it seems that C has the OS. But the rest are empty. My question is what is the best way to un-partition the HDD and SSD? Kinda new to the whole computer scene, and I'd rather get some insight from you guys rather than a google search. Any help appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5

dblkk
Level 7
Go to disk management in control panel. This will show you all your disks and partitions. Then go to your drive 0, go to the second partition, right click, and delete volume. Then go to the first half of disk 0, and then right click. Clock on extend volume. Then just enter the full drive size, should be default. Click enter. This will have made both partitions into just the one. Then go to disk 1 and redo. You will then have your 256gb ssd, and 1tb hhd. Instead of 128gb ssd 128gb ssd 512gb hhd and 512hhd.

Don't know why they do this, but its really an easy fix.

dblkk
Level 7

this is disk management, sorry I could do a right click and a screenshot But the disk 0 and disk 1, with the red/blue/gray/black bars are the partitions, just make your main 2 into 1, but make sure you keep the recovery alone. A lot of people say move to usb and delete. well run asus backtracker asap after getting it, to make a bootable usb. But keep the partition and recovery, it doesn't take up that much space and you never know if/when you'll need it. Better to have than to rebuy windows if you have a problem later on.

dblkk
Level 7

this is disk management, sorry I could do a right click and a screenshot But the disk 0 and disk 1, with the red/blue/gray/black bars are the partitions, just make your main 2 into 1, but make sure you keep the recovery alone. A lot of people say move to usb and delete. well run asus backtracker asap after getting it, to make a bootable usb. But keep the partition and recovery, it doesn't take up that much space and you never know if/when you'll need it. Better to have than to rebuy windows if you have a problem later on.

SleepyJacky
Level 7
Thank you for all your help, absolutely will backup before attempting tomorrow. One last question for you (this may sound foolish) but I just wanted to confirm: the OS is on the SSD, right? If so, I think I'll just un-partition the HDD and keep the SSD how it is. (To separate other files I want to put on the SSD and OS files).

dblkk
Level 7
true windows is on the ssd. And while I get where your logic is on keeping the ssd the way it is. Its really going to make no difference to the ssd performance or anything if you keep it as 2 or if you make it one. Also, when your programs and stuff, its a lot easier to just have a c:/ and put them on theyre. And then have a D:/ (hhd) to put your games music and such on. But that way you don't have programs on ssd (c:/ and d:/), to me that's pretty confusing and im pretty tech/comp savy.