cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overclocking 4670k help?

CapnBAMBAM
Level 7
Hello,
I am fairly new to overclocking and have done a fair bit of research on it. Judging from average overclocks mine just doesnt seem right. Right now it's 4.4ghz on 1.35v which is fairly reasonable and stable when doing just normal things, however when I run a stress test in order to keep it 100% stable it has to be pushed to 1.44v and then cooling becomes an issue during an extreme stress test like the Prime torture test. Am I doing something wrong? Or did I just get an awful cpu to overclock? Really my goal was to get 4.5ghz but I dont want to get near 1.5v to make that possible. I am using an h105 cooler by the way. Ram is at 2133mhz. Any info or advice to get me to 4.5 would help. Thanks 🙂
5 REPLIES 5

danskieness
Level 10
hi capn! would you mind sharing your full specs? we can't fully assume that it's a bad chip, but it's kind of inevitable to have one.

i just started overclocking today, i might be able to help you, and most of all I'm running a 4670k too!
And i got my 4.6 on 1.328v

here's a screenie:

Mobo : Asus Maximus VI Impact || CPU : i5-4670k || Cooling : H100
GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G || PSU : Corsair RM 650 || Rams : G Skill Trident X 4GBx2 2400 CL10
Monitor : 2x Asus VX239h + 1x HP w2207h || Chassis : Bitfenix Prodigy Red || OS : WIN8.1 x64
Periphirals : Corsair K95, Logitech g402, Edifier 3350

HiVizMan
Level 40
danskieness post a url to your thread please.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

danskieness
Level 10
here you go buddy, i hope that this will help you 😉

Click here or -> http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48159-Overclocking-on-4670k-on-MVI-Impact&p=408001&viewfull...
Mobo : Asus Maximus VI Impact || CPU : i5-4670k || Cooling : H100
GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G || PSU : Corsair RM 650 || Rams : G Skill Trident X 4GBx2 2400 CL10
Monitor : 2x Asus VX239h + 1x HP w2207h || Chassis : Bitfenix Prodigy Red || OS : WIN8.1 x64
Periphirals : Corsair K95, Logitech g402, Edifier 3350

CapnBAMBAM
Level 7
Hey guys,
Sorry have been working alot so haven't had much free time. But my specs... i5 4670k, Corsair Dom Platinum 16gb 2133mhz, Asus Maximus Vi Formula, Corsair Ax760i, Corsair H105, and a Samsung 840 Pro 256gb

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello there mate, never apologise about working or being busy. Now if you wonder over to danks thread you can see how he has progressed with some basic stuff. The principle is the same. Start small and work your way up to optimal 24/7 settings.

With the current ASUS bios settings you can leave most things on auto.

Here is what I would do to start off.

In bios F5 and enter to set all to defaults.

Now if you are running a RAID array set SATA mode to RAID or in not ignore this step.

Back to the main OC page.

Mode of OC to XMP profile. This sorts out your memory and you can now forget about it for the minute.

Select change multi all cores and start with 40x

Leave all else on auto

F10 and enter to save and boot to OS.

Two options here. One you can not enter OS, two if you pass and enter OS run ROG Realbench stress test for 15mins. Check your temps using one application only. I like HWMonitor the standalone application, as it requires no installation. Coupled with the latest version of CPUz it is pretty much all you need.

Make a note of your voltage in CPUz while the stress test is running.

It is more likely that you will enter OS than not.

Repeat the above process and change the multi up by 1 each time until such time that you do not pass the stress test. Check what the voltage was and make a note of it.

You then can go into the bios and navigate down to the CPU voltage
Select manual mode and enter in a value slightly higher than that which you wrote down. For example if your voltage at 4400MHz was set by the auto function to 1.125 set it to 1.140. DO NOT change by huge steps. Your max voltage you should be looking at is in the 1.300 to 1.350 range.

One last thing let temps be your guide. What that means is if your system gets to hot during the stress test then drop back a multi and thereby reduce your voltage too. 85'C is the upper limit for a stress test. Personally I like 70'C for my system during a stress test. That gives me a 55 - 60 'C under max load in games or normal useage.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.