cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up RAID array on Ports 5+6 Crosshair V Formula-Z

hax0rmort
Level 11
Hi ladies and gents,

I'd like to document the steps needed to create an array on ports 5+6 so if anyone else stumbles along, they can see how it's done. I'm new to this, and have only setup an array once before tinkering around.

Here is what I have and what I want. I have two 1GB HDDs that I'd like in the best array type that will provide for redundancy. So I'm assuming this is RAID1? I store all my backups here for home pictures, video, important documents from the military and finances as well as music collection. I do not want to reinstall windows 8.1 as I won't be storing the OS on the disks. I know AMD has the RAIDXPeRT software I intended to install, is there anything else to be thinking of besides going into BIOS and setting up PORT 5+6 for RAID and making sure my two 1GB drives are empty and connected to those ports?

I'd like to streamline the process before I start because I don't want to hit any snafus and I'd like to know what I'm doing before I start. Can someone be so kind to read over and let me know what else I should be thinking of or if I'm good to start?

Thanks in advance 🙂
-hax0rmort

MOBO - ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula-Z
CPU - AMD FX-9370
RAM - AMD Radeon R9 Gamer Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 2400 MHz
SSD1 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB // Boot
SSD2 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB // Game
GPU1 - ASUS Radeon R9 290X
GPU2 - ASUS Radeon R9 290X
COOLER - Corsair H100i AIO Liquid Cooler
PSU - Corsair RM Series 1000W Gold PSU
AUDIO - Creative Sound Blaster Z
CASE - NZXT H440 Red/Black
KEYBOARD - Corsair K95 RGB
MOUSE - SteelSeries Sensei
HEADSET - Logitech G430
24 REPLIES 24

hax0rmort
Level 11
Okay, well, I should just take this post down. You cannot setup ports 5+6 for RAID, IDE is the only other option. Lesson learned. That sucks, I'd like to utilize RAID but I cannot give up those two extra ports if I use 1-4 as RAID. 😞
-hax0rmort

CPU - AMD FX-9370
HEADSET - Logitech G430

madcratebuilder
Level 10
You could use a RAID controller if you have a free pci slot.
Speedbird 9590@5.1/CHVFZ/8gb G Skill@2133/ASUS R9-280X all on EK blocks controlled with Aquaero 6 Pro

Goonybird 8350@4.6/GA990FXAUD3/16gb Corsair@1600/Crossfired Sapphire 7990's cooled with CM 240L XSPC res

hax0rmort
Level 11
Hmm, hadn't considered that, sadly my 2nd pci-e port is being blocked (i think there's another) i should get rid of this soundcard, it's almost too late to return it, i notice no difference besides volume.... 😞 shame. Thanks for the tip mad!
-hax0rmort

CPU - AMD FX-9370
HEADSET - Logitech G430

BrokenFang
Level 7
If you set your system up for raid, you can have a 'Single Disk array', that works just like any regular disk. You would have to re-install your OS, and you would not lose any ports.

Or... you could use Windows software Raid mode, which works with AHCI. In which case you need to go threw the Administrative Tools, Disk management, Storage (Win7) and select which disk and mode to software raid.

TheNerdBench
Level 10
Hum...I thought you could setup RAID 0 or 1 on the ASMEDIA ports 5 & 6...I may be mistaken as it sounds like you gave this an attempt.

[/HR]
For trouble-shooting tips see my blog at:

[/HR]
http://thenerdbench.blogspot.com/p/bench-testing.html

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

TheNerdBench wrote:
Hum...I thought you could setup RAID 0 or 1 on the ASMEDIA ports 5 & 6...I may be mistaken as it sounds like you gave this an attempt.

You can, but ports 1-4 must first be set to raid in the bios. On a side note, if Ports 1-4 are raid, then 5-6 can be raid or IDE

HiVizMan
Level 40
On the CHFz board there are six SATA ports that you can raid.

What you need to make sure of is that your SATA ports numbers are correct. I have had CHV boards in the past which did have messed up SATA numbering that did not match the user manual. I simply put one drive in at a time and saw which SATA port was populated and took it from there.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
The ports are numbered on the board.

hax0rmort
Level 11
ok, so from what I'm hearing, I can set 1-4 as RAID, put the two 1GB drives in RAID1 on port 3 and 4, and put my two ssd (non raid) as independent disks/arrays on port 1 and 2?
-hax0rmort

CPU - AMD FX-9370