cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS Reload Questions

JackNaylorPE
Level 10
1. In doing my BIOS reloads recovering from the "BIOS Clock Freeze" Bug, I would see all my saved OC profiles disappear (expected). But as saving / loading those buggers was a suspected "trigger" for the bug, I stopped using them. What I did was to create a BIOS Favorites page with:

AI Overclock Tuner =
1-Core Ratio Limit =
Max. CPU Cache Ratio =
Min. CPU Cache Ratio =
Fully Manual Mode =
Core Voltage =
Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage =
Core Cache Voltage =
Additional Turbo Mode CPU Cache Voltage =
Eventual CPU Input Voltage =
DRAM Voltage =

So after restoring BIOS, I could easily re-enter all this data w/o having to jump all over the place. What surprised me was:

a) OC profiles gone as expected
b) OC and other custom settings gone as expected
c) Favorites page had all my favorites still there ..... unexpected. Not all of them were there which I assume resulkts from settings being set to stock. For example

Unless I set Core Voltage to Adaptive, the option for Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage wasn't there..... but as soon as I did, it did. Sane for Core Cache Voltage; w/o Adaptive being selected , Additional Turbo Mode CPU Cache Voltage option was not present .... again somewhat expected as that's how it behaves on its "home" page. But shouldn't re-loading a BIOS clear the favorites as well as all the custom settings ?

2. Anyone else having issues saving / loading OC Profiles (freezes every now and then, usually when BIOS clock also gets stuck) or backing up to USB (freezes, renders USB unsuitable for BIOS reload.
October 26 Build
MoBo:Max VI Formula
RAM:16GB Mushkin DDR3-2400 10-12-12-28
GFX:2x Asus GTX780 DCII
HD: 2x Seagate 2TB Hybrid SSHD
SSD:2x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
PSU:Seasonic X-1250
Case:Phanteks Enthoo Primo
Monitor:Asus VG248QE Black 23" 144 Hz
Optical:Asus BR Burner
KB: Logitech G19s
Mouse:RoG GX950
Fan Con.: Six Eyes
Cooling:420+280 Alphacool Rads, 35x2 Pump, EK CPU/ GPU Blocks, Acrylic Tubes w/ BP Fit
8 REPLIES 8

HiVizMan
Level 40
Nice write up and some good information here mate... Thanks have repped you.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

clubfoot
Level 7
Same as you:
After flashing BIOS all previous saved profiles MIA. Bios will not update from usb,...freezes.
However, once all setting are re-inputted and F10 saved, saved profiles load successfully.
The Asus Maximus VI Hero Club

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VI HERO, i4770K@4.5, Corsair H100i, 16G G.Skill Trident X @2400, MSI7950 xFire, C: Samsung EVO 250G SSD RAID0, BenQ XL2420Z, LG BD burner, Corsair RM1000i, Antec DF-85.

JackNaylorPE
Level 10
I expect the BIOS profiles to disappear....what surprised me was that Favorites still there..... if you reloaded BIOS and you cleared CMOS why was it retaining any info ?

Now this morning I did the 1505 upgrade "as directed" via the Windows Tool..... seemed to take very very long time.

-Can anyone elaborate on this "new tool" ? It did by the way wipe out my favorites.

-Is this the "new recommended" way to do BIOS updates ?

-I imagine since it took so long, it did more than the normal updates.... what was it ?

-Or was this a one time thing for DC .... and now we go back to Flash or EZ Update ?
October 26 Build
Cooling:420+280 Alphacool Rads, 35x2 Pump, EK CPU/ GPU Blocks, Acrylic Tubes w/ BP Fit

HiVizMan
Level 40
I suspect this is the specific way to allow for the new microcode of the CPU revision. I do not think this will be the option of choice for all bios flashing in the future no.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
The tool will check the Intel Management Engine firmware and update it if it needs to, That is what takes the time.

What I do fto keep the settings across the BIOS is to save the BIOS settings for each on a USB disk. The profiles page in the BIOS lets you save the current BIOS settings to disk or a USB drive. The profile you want to save has to be loaded first. For each profile you want to save, load the profile so it is current, then use save it to a file with a descriptive name (like the profile name for instance).

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

geneo wrote:
What I do fto keep the settings across the BIOS is to save the BIOS settings for each on a USB disk. The profiles page in the BIOS lets you save the current BIOS settings to disk or a USB drive. The profile you want to save has to be loaded first. For each profile you want to save, load the profile so it is current, then use save it to a file with a descriptive name (like the profile name for instance).

Not an option (See 1st post):

1. Saving and Loading BIOS profiles is one of the apparent triggers for the infamous "BIOS Clock Freeze" bug. I no longer use the feature because of this problem (See 1st post, paragraph 1).

2. Saving the profiles to a USB freezes mid save and again initiates BIOS Clock Freeze Bug. It also rendered the USB incapable of using for the Clock unfreeze procedure and BIOS Flashback no longer reads that Thumb drive (See 1st post, paragraph 2).

The idea of having to load / save / backup the profiles one at a time, to my mind renders it into the "too much trouble" category.

I can use the favorites page much faster.

geneo wrote:
The tool will check the Intel Management Engine firmware and update it if it needs to, That is what takes the time.

Any idea whether this also fixes the BIOS clock freeze bug which was reported to be related to the IME ? Tried Asus Telephone Support but they are apparently "unaware of any BIOS Clock Freeze issue".
October 26 Build

JackNaylorPE wrote:

The idea of having to load / save / backup the profiles one at a time, to my mind renders it into the "too much trouble" category.

Any idea whether this also fixes the BIOS clock freeze bug which was reported to be related to the IME ? Tried Asus Telephone Support but they are apparently "unaware of any BIOS Clock Freeze issue".

I agree that saving one by one is not ideal. My expectation the first time I saved to the BIOS was that it would save all of my profiles. Unhappily found this to be wrong. But still, if it is working properly, saving one by one is a lot easier than reentering everything again and at the risk of making a mistake. But only if you switch between BIOS a lot, which I have done recently.

Fortunately I have not run across the clock freeze so I don't know whether this BIOS fixes it or not. Not having any meaningful release notes is a PITA.

If you want you can update the IME firmware without updating the BIOS by just using the tool and not doing the BIOS update (the new BIOS also has new CPU microcode (19h for BIOS 1505 vs 12h for BIOS 1402). But once you do you can't easily roll it back.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
I double checked the IME firmware that comes with the different BIOS:

BIOS 1203: IME 9.0.22.1467
BIOS 1301,1402,1505: IME 9.0.30.1482

So I believe if you got board delivered with BIOS 1301 or later, it is up-to-date. If the clock fix is in the IME, I don't think it is there yet.