Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Rockford
    the matterhorn bracket is created so you can adjust the cooler before tightening it, so its some room to push it back a bit, then tighten..
    Last edited by Rockford; 06-15-2014 at 04:04 PM.

Rockford
    I pushed it to the left/back only about 3 mm or so, the heatsink will still cover the entire cpu

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by WhitePaw View Post
    I pushed it to the left/back only about 3 mm or so, the heatsink will still cover the entire cpu
    I take it that by "to the left/back" you mean away from the memory, not away from the GPU)? So the "couple of mm" still reflects the 'unadjusted' distance between the HSF & the GPU?

I'm trying to work out how tight a fit a 140mm HSF would be (and thus by proxy, a 110mm HS with a GPU with a 15mm overhang).

Rockford
    yes away from the memory

most 140mm coolers would collide with the gpu, if the gpu is mounted in the top pci-e slot, it goes fort matx boards, and boards that have 4 X pci-e 16X slots, where the top slot sits higher (closer to the mem) = maximus extreme/ rampage extreme

A normal atx board should work fine with a 140mm cooler/fan = maximus formula, hero, ranger

This is a 120mm cooler/fan (matterhorn) fitted on to a M7G, with hyperx predator mem, its tight, but its clearance all the way around the heatsink/fan / no hw mating
    Last edited by Rockford; 06-15-2014 at 04:20 PM.

ROG Member Array

This is a 120mm cooler/fan (matterhorn)
    I thought the Matterhorn was a 138mm HS with a 120mm fan (Alpenfoehn Matterhorn Rev.B). Are we talking about the same HSF here?

Rockford
    my cooler is rev c (bracket mod?)

But its a 120mm fan, so i assume the heatsink is made with those spec in mind..

i dont know the size spec of the heatsink..

aplenföhn matterhorn rev c
    Last edited by Rockford; 06-15-2014 at 04:24 PM.

Rockford
    well the sum of all this, i dont think you will be able to fit a HSF with larger size than mine on a Gene board, not without having to make compromises..

ROG Member Array

But its a 120mm fan, so i assume the heatsink is made with those spec in mind..
    But all the pictures (including your own) show the fan to be slightly narrower than the HS (appearing to fit into a 'hollow' formed by the extension foward of left and right edges of the HS).

I cannot find any reference to the rev c online, so cannot determine if this affects the width.

Rockford
    the cooler fit this board just fine with the stock fan/mounting mechanism (without modifications), but no xtra space is available..

i hope any of this helped out

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast