cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help getting my overclock stable... Crosshair V Formula Z

Taint3dBulge
Level 9
Hello,

I had afew questions on my motherboard settings.. I use to have a Crosshair IV Extreme, it was a beast of a board. Had my 8350 oced to 5ghz no problem what so ever.

Then 3 weeks ago the computer froze on me and no matter what I did or what part I changed it just wouldnt boot up / post.

So here I am trying to figure out this new wonderful board. So many new settings, different ui. Everything looks so nifty and thought Hell maybe I can hit 5.1ghz with this with ease. Also this board accpeted some 2400mhz ram i bought a year ago that wouldnt work on my C.IV.E.. Anyways, Iv tried as much as i could to get this new board stable with my CPU. Alas I cannot though, even at 4.8ghz nothing works.. Iv finally today gotten to the point of getting Prime95 to run for 9 min.. Thats a big step in itself to me.. Anyways, Id like to get back to 5ghz.. So if anyone could look at these screens and could show me some pointers, or show me something I missed, id appreciate it.

Note: I am using the 8pin and 4 pin cpu power connectors. I tried with just the 8, the 4 seems to help a snid bit.

Specs
FX8350 (H100i Push Pull)
Crosshair V Formula Z
G.Skill 2400mhz 10-12-12-31 T1 (Default is T2 but this isnt the problem)
KINGWIN Mach 1 ABT-1000MA1S 1000W ATX
EVGA 780Ti Classified
Samsung 840pro ssd
OCZ Vector ssd
Seagate HD
Sound Blaster Z audio
AZZA 9000 Case

13 REPLIES 13

Taint3dBulge
Level 9
Oh btw I am using the 8Pin and 4Pin power connector.

Hi Taint3dBulge, I think your CPU offsets and NB are wrong IMO. This is something I do not change.
I got my 9590 to 5.5Ghz without offsets, But the VRMs were getting too hot, so you should achieve 4.9 - 5.0 with your cooling setup.
I suppose it is a tidy ask for 5Ghz on an 8350, but you are close.
I see you completed 1 successful pass with Prime so you are nearly there.
Also try increasing the CPU VDDA a tad higher but watch your temps when stress testing.
I use CoreTemp and the Grapher Plugin.
Good to know you have both 4 and 8 pin sockets populated.
Apart from that I'm not much help, Maybe someone with better OC experience will come on.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

HiVizMan
Level 40
I wonder what caused your old board to die on you, and if that cause may not have hurt your CPU.

But moving on.

Drop your memory to defaults for now and see if you can get to the 5GHz mark. The IMC being on the CPU die does impact where you can clock your core frequency by the way.

LLC at ultra is not something that I would want to run 24/7, actually even when I was benching at close to 8GHz with my 8350 I did not run LLC above medium.

You are going to need move voltage to your CPU I think but try the memory at defaults first and see how that goes.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
You are going to need move voltage to your CPU I think but try the memory at defaults first and see how that goes.

What HiVizMan said. Also, I would say to start completely at default settings and work it from there - you don't get a new dog and expect him/her to be capable of the exact same behavior as your last.

New board = new beast.

Z

Taint3dBulge
Level 9
Thanks guys for the feedback.. On another forum, someone told me to get ride of D.O.C.P and set everything manually. To also get rid of offsets and plug in the "voltage" that I want. That it will hold up better...

That being said,

I have tried the ram down to 1.5v at 1600mhz and CPU/NB fre to 2200mhz. Still no dice.

The most stable settings thus far are the ones shown above but with this added.
I did have a run before the one shown on the last picture, where I upped the VDDR to 1.253v and thats when I could run prime for alittle more then 9min before it failed.. High cpu core temp was 66, and package temp was 63, if i remember right.. So I might have to add more voltage to the VDDR to help the IMC out.. not sure...

Oh HIVisMan,
I think I know the reason why it died.. One of 3 things

1, the board was a refurb and the factory NB to SB head sink didnt sit right on the board( NB would hit 100c in 5 min). so i had to "make" it fit by making sure the screws held it down extra tight..

2, i had my video card (780Ti Classified) sitting int he 3rd or 4 pcix lane to try and see if i could cool it more. (side fan and 2 140mm fans blowing on it more) But this caused the cooler on the classified to blow right on the southbridge.. Motherboard was always over 40c while gaming and that sb would get just stupid hot, but could never tell its temp so.

3, This one goes along with 1 kinda.. I had the case open on both sides after trying to figure out how to cool down the board, i figured maybe the screws on the NB were loose, so while the system was running i checked 2 screws and screwed them in more. I think that is what happened. Cause after that windows was froze and well......

Ok so here is my plan, going to try to do everything from scratch again, expt no D.O.C.P and no offset mode and no extreme LLC... I will start there at 4.7 and work my way to 5.0. fingers crossed. Then try for higher nb/cpu and HT frequencies then try my ram at its 2400mhz. I guess its best to start all over again lol.

Taint3d,

on a offshoot of what you're working on, i see in your sig that you have/had 1866 G.Skill RAM. This wouldn't happen to be G.SKill Sniper 1866 that you had running at 2100? Cause i've been trying without success to overclock this memory. Any tips?
-hax0rmort

MOBO - ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula-Z
CPU - AMD FX-9370
RAM - AMD Radeon R9 Gamer Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 2400 MHz
SSD1 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB // Boot
SSD2 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB // Game
GPU1 - ASUS Radeon R9 290X
GPU2 - ASUS Radeon R9 290X
COOLER - Corsair H100i AIO Liquid Cooler
PSU - Corsair RM Series 1000W Gold PSU
AUDIO - Creative Sound Blaster Z
CASE - NZXT H440 Red/Black
KEYBOARD - Corsair K95 RGB
MOUSE - SteelSeries Sensei
HEADSET - Logitech G430

Nope, that was ripjaw x, I have trident x that isnt overclocked. Its just 2400mhz out the box. I need to update my sig.

HiVizMan
Level 40
For me OC ing any system follows the same method time and time again.

With AMD what I do is this. First I find out what my max FSB is at stock voltage.

How I do this is set my ram at defaults like you have.
And just keep increasing my FSB by 5 each time. Most of the time I will start at 180 or 200 because most CPUs can handle that. Once I know what my max is I have some leeway with my multi.

The next step is to default all BIOS settings and this time I only play with the multi. I increase the multi by 0.5 and boot to OS. Run a 5min stress test to check temps and voltages. Use CPUz for the voltages or HWmonitor for both.

Once I have my max at auto voltage that will pass a 5 min stress test I get into the real OCing. But now I have a base from which to work from.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
For me OC ing any system follows the same method time and time again.

With AMD what I do is this. First I find out what my max FSB is at stock voltage.

How I do this is set my ram at defaults like you have.
And just keep increasing my FSB by 5 each time. Most of the time I will start at 180 or 200 because most CPUs can handle that. Once I know what my max is I have some leeway with my multi.

The next step is to default all BIOS settings and this time I only play with the multi. I increase the multi by 0.5 and boot to OS. Run a 5min stress test to check temps and voltages. Use CPUz for the voltages or HWmonitor for both.

Once I have my max at auto voltage that will pass a 5 min stress test I get into the real OCing. But now I have a base from which to work from.

I wish I had your patience... I spent about 4 to 5 hours last night trying everything to get to 4.9mhz. I do have it at 4.8 100% stable tho...

Anyways to get to 8 min of prime95 before i saw a fail. I had to have my ram to 1333mhz at 1.44v. NB/CPU 1.38v CPU 1.58v NB/HT at 2200. I started with everything on auto, expt for CPU Voltage and LLC, then added on thing at a time till i started seeing stabilization..

Im guessing its one of 2 things.

The cpu possibly got slightly damaged when the old board died.
The psu is starting to die, or its the fact that its just not that great of a psu.
The ram i have installed is to much for the imc? will try the old ram on the board and see what happens.

Oh and btw, the only way i could get the cpu stable at 4.8 is taking the +VDDA to 2.64v

Going to keep on playing with it this weekend. I aint giving up till i hit at least 4.9 and getting that stable..

One last thing HiVisMan, The CPU LLC, you said set that to medium. Id have to have voltages at 1.6+ to be able to keep up with the droop.. So I left it at ultra high 130% and there is zero droop, but there is also no added voltage. 1.512v is 1.512 steady.