cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just installed AMD Radeon R9 200 Series and computer randomly shuts down

ColonelLeche
Level 7
Just ordered and installed an AMD Radeon R9 200 Series graphic card with a new 700 watt power supply. Since then, the computer screen will randomly go black, and the all activity on the computer ceases. No amount of unplugging, plugging back in connections will bring it back up. I am able to access shares still from another computer, but I am no longer able to VNC or Remote access the computer.

Originally, I was using a DVI to HDMI cord connected to my monitor, but since changed to an HDMI to HDMI connection.

While encoding videos in Adobe Premiere, there was a higher likelihood of this issue happening.

I thought the issue might have been temperature, so I opened up the side of the tower, and uses the ASUS heat monitoring tool. System CPU usually runs about 45C, and will jump up to 75C during encoding. When I was able to successfully finish encoding, it would drop back down to 45C. Then later on, it did the same again at the normal 45C.

I also installed the latest beta version of the AMD graphic driver, with no noticeable change to the issue.

So, to recap, I have no idea what is causing the screen to go black, and not come back.

It does it with both high cpu, and low cpu. Network shares still work, but most other services are non-accessible. I have also tried re-seating the graphics card, in case there might have been an issue with original installation.

Any and all help would be appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello there

Could you go have a look in the Windows event viewer and report back what problems or causes of the shut down are indicated.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ColonelLeche
Level 7
Had two black screens happen while attempting to respond to this post. Before, there has never been information in the syslog as to why the screen went black. This time, I was able to find a bluescreen message with the following information

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000117 (0xfffffa8018c11010, 0xfffff88004217f80, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\Minidump\061214-29702-01.dmp. Report Id: 061214-29702-01.

The computer had just booted up, and besides running firefox and thunderbird, no other activities were taking place.

From the windows report of that bugcheck from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff557271%28v=vs.85%29.aspx it states...

The bugcheck was: 0x00000117

Based on that error code, it states "This indicates that the display driver failed to respond in a timely fashion."

This graphics card is about 4 days old from a purchase on Amazon. I am assuming that the graphics card is potentially bad?

HiVizMan
Level 40
What it suggests is that when you you swapped out graphic cards you may not have removed all the old driver bits and pieces. I suggest you download GPU Drive sweeper and remove all the left over bits. That may resolve your issue.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.