cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My FN+F9 just stopped working [solved]

Zacharyp1
Level 7
After a Windows automatic update this morning, I noticed my touchpad was activated again (as I have always had it turned off.) Once it rebooted and I went to desktop, I tried to turn the touchpad off and the FN+F9 was of no use. It is important for the pad to be off since my hand rests partly on it while playing games. Should I try and find the pad software and delete it?
9 REPLIES 9

hmscott
Level 12
Zacharyp1 wrote:
After a Windows automatic update this morning, I noticed my touchpad was activated again (as I have always had it turned off.) Once it rebooted and I went to desktop, I tried to turn the touchpad off and the FN+F9 was of no use. It is important for the pad to be off since my hand rests partly on it while playing games. Should I try and find the pad software and delete it?

Zacharyp1, you could look at the history for Windows Updates, and figure out which update recently installed caused the problem, there is another thread about this, and I think they would like to know.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48203-The-Infamous-FN-F9-Refuses-to-Function-Properly&p=408...

You could try uninstalling the recent update(s) one at a time to see if that will restore Fn+F9 function, and which update is at fault.

As a stop gap, you could plug in a USB mouse, and use the TouchPad app to set up Disable TouchPad with Mouse connected.

Zacharyp1
Level 7
I believe that app will do what I need, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

OMG...I think it isn't the update problem, but the trouble is the hotkey driver is not intall well...I think you should download the newest hotkey driver or similar for your ROG.
For more help, plz send email to me noramiu_nc@yahoo.com.vn

Zacharyp1 wrote:
I believe that app will do what I need, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Zacharyp1, the interface is a systray app, it shows as a little grey square, mine has a red dot on it because I have an external mouse connected - the red dot shows it is inactive.

If you don't see the Asus Smart Gesture systray app, that might be why Fn+F9 doesn't work too, the software isn't installed.

You can run the Asus Install app, available here, run C:\eSupport\eDriver\AsInsWiz.exe

You should see the Asus Smart Gesture as an option to install, uncheck everything else for now, and only check Asus Smart Gesture, install and reboot. See if Fn+F9 works, and if not at least you will have the systray app to enable disabling the Touchpad when an external USB mouse is connected.

If Asus Smart Gesture isn't an option to install from the Asus Install app, you can run Setup directly from (might be a different version folder):
C:\eSupport\eDriver\Software\Touchpad\Elantech\PointingDevice_Upd\Win7_64_Win8_64_11.5.9.1

Let us know how it works out 🙂

Zacharyp1
Level 7
I ran the install app when you showed me the picture, since I remembered I made a folder with all the ASUS desktop icons to have a "home" of sorts. After restarting it showed no evidence of installing anything and no new icons. I ran the suggested program in "C:\eSupport\eDriver\Software\Touchpad" and that fixed my problem. Oddly enough, I noticed i haven't seen the touchpad icon in the system tray for quite some time, but the effects had just now taken place. Anyway, problem solved. Thank you!

Zacharyp1 wrote:
I ran the install app when you showed me the picture, since I remembered I made a folder with all the ASUS desktop icons to have a "home" of sorts. After restarting it showed no evidence of installing anything and no new icons. I ran the suggested program in "C:\eSupport\eDriver\Software\Touchpad" and that fixed my problem. Oddly enough, I noticed i haven't seen the touchpad icon in the system tray for quite some time, but the effects had just now taken place. Anyway, problem solved. Thank you!

Zacharyp1, so Fn+F9 works? Or are you disabling the touchpad when a USB mouse in connected, via the Asus Smart Gesture?

"C:\eSupport\eDriver\Software\Touchpad"

This works so well Thanks again!!!!

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Weasel34 wrote:
"C:\eSupport\eDriver\Software\Touchpad"

This works so well Thanks again!!!!

Thanks for the feedback and for those customers who don't have the eSupport folder, expect the touchpad driver is also available under the ASUS download site for your model when it is available under the eSupport folder if you want to check there as well.

Zacharyp1
Level 7
Fn+F9 works now after reinstalling the program from the .exe you mentioned. The touchpad icon is now in the system tray with the red disabled marker, also.