cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIO Power on Delay Fail (Non O.C.)

MadsModsat
Level 7
*UPDATE* - I sent the motherboard back to be tested for errors, and they have sent me a new one. The fault was with the motherboard.

----

Helly everyone, I'm new here. I hope I'm posting in the right place.

I have a problem with my recently purchased Maximus VI Hero motherboard. I have been searching the forums, but I can only find posts related to overclocking.

My problem is, that sometimes (not everytime, but fairly often) when I switch on my computer, the computer resets emmediately and powers on again (exactly as if certain BIOS settings has been changed).

But when it powers on again, I sometimes get the error message "SIO Power on Delay Fail. Press F1...". The odd thing is, that sometimes when the computer resets, it just boots normally, and does not show the SIO-error. That confuses me quite a bit.

I've mostly found forum issues relating to overclocking, but I run this setup at stock speed, and factory settings. I have been overclocking for a lot of years, but I decided to stop doing that, and bought this setup with that in mind (see specs below).

I have found a wikipedia article about this error message though, and it says the following :

"The Power Good signal prevents a computer from attempting to operate on improper voltages and damaging itself by alerting it to improper power supply. Power good value is based on the delay in ms, that a power supply takes to become fully ready. Power good values are often considered abnormal if detected lower than 100ms or higher than 600ms".

So it seems that it is related to the PSU. I have a Corsair HX1050 PSU, just under a year old, and it has been running flawlessly with an i7 2600K @ 4.8 GHz on an ASUS P8Z68-V Pro /GEN3 motherboard and dual AMD 7970 GFX (and later an R9 290), until I bought the Maximus VI Hero last month.

The motherboard runs at factory settings, except from disabled onboard sound. I've tried BIOS 1302 (was installed on the MB when I recieved it). 1402, and now even 1502 BETA, to see if that changed anything. No results.

Is it the PSU, can it be the motherboard? Or the new CPU (i7 4770K), what do you guys think?

Other parts:
4770K with @ stock with Noctua NH-D14. No errors with Prime95
16 GB Kingston Hyper-X Genesis 1600 Mhz RAM (No errors in MemTest86). I used them on my prior setup.
AMD R9 290 (with Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme IV). No errors in stresstests. Also used with my prior setup.
SoundBlaster ZxR soundcard. Also used on prior setup.
SanDisk Extreme II 250 GB SSD.
Seagate 2 TB HDD.
WD 1 TB HDD.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions, it is much appreciated.
Maximus XI Hero (WiFi) / I9 9900K / Corsair Vengeance 3333MHz (32 GB) / Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850 / RoG Strix RTX 2080 Super OC / SoundBlaster ZxR / Samsung 970 EVo Plus NVMe / Corsair Obsidian 750D / RoG SWIFT PG279Q & PG278Q / Win 10 x64
17 REPLIES 17

HiVizMan
Level 40
Clearly it is a PSU thing, but why now I am not sure. The only other time I have ever had this happen was also with a Corsair funnily enough. A 750w model.

In the bios that you are using are their any power or surge related settings that can be changed. It has been a while since I used that motherboard you are working with.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

MadsModsat
Level 7
Thanks a lot for your reply.

Yes, there is an "Antisurge Support" setting in BIOS, and it is set to "Enbaled". It is located under the "Monitor Menu".

I'm extremely disappointed with that PSU. I had a Corsair HX620 which was brilliant, and I had it for 6 or 7 years I think. So I thought the HX1050 would be good as well. But the fan is as loud as an jet enginge when the PSU is put under a minimum of stress. It is rubbish, I regret not buying a SeaSonic or something similar instead. But I didn't send it back, since it appeared to work just fine.
Maximus XI Hero (WiFi) / I9 9900K / Corsair Vengeance 3333MHz (32 GB) / Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850 / RoG Strix RTX 2080 Super OC / SoundBlaster ZxR / Samsung 970 EVo Plus NVMe / Corsair Obsidian 750D / RoG SWIFT PG279Q & PG278Q / Win 10 x64

HiVizMan
Level 40
I feel you pain mate, I love Seasonic too.

Give the surge protection thing a try and see if that helps. I have asked one of my mates who is a PSU guru to give me his view of what is going on.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

MadsModsat
Level 7
I'll try to disable the Anti Surge setting, although - not knowing a lot about the technical details - I'd think, that it would be preferable to have that enabled. I don't want to risk damaging other components over time, if the PSU doesn't deliver stable currents.
But the 3.3V 5V and 12V readings are spot on, at least.

Thanks a lot for asking your friend, that is really nice of you 🙂

jab383
Level 13
Similar problems with slow or no Power Good signal have happened because of low main power - the 110 or 220 volt AC. That is worth a check if you have a meter. With low AC power, the supply can still produce spot-on voltages, but take a while to get there.

Jeff

MadsModsat
Level 7
Thanks a lot for your input. It makes good sense to me. The only time where I can say for sure, that the "SIO..." error message occurs, is when I have had the PSU switched completely off on the backside of the PSU, or disconnected from the power outlet.

I'll see if I can borrow a volt meter from someone, unfortunately I don't own one myself. Until then, I could try a different power outlet.

EDIT: I'll try to add a few more details about the error message.

"SIO.." message :

- almost certainly occurs when the PSU has been disconnected from the wall power outlet, or swithched off on the back side.

- usually occurs when the computer has been switched off over night, but not every single time.

- never occurs if I turn the computer on and off several times in a row, or within a couple of hours.

EDIT II:

BTW, I tried to disable "Anti Surge Support" in BIOS. Then I turned the computer off, turnd off the powersupply and pressed the computer power button, so there was no power left in the system. Then I switched the PSU back on, and pressed the computer power button.

The computer did go through the "reset cycle", or what it is called, but the "SIO..." message didn't occur.

I'm still not entirely sure, that it won't happen again tomorrow for instance, after being turned off during the night, I'll have to wait and see. That's the annoying thing about it not being the exact same thing every single time.

So I'm still very interested in your opinions regarding the issue.

HiVizMan
Level 40
The double boot thing is normal when ever there is no power to a system. You were nearly 100% correct in what you thought it was. The BIOS is having to retrain the memory completely. Normally when there is some power in the system this does not happen.

MadsModsat
Level 7
Ah ok, thanks a lot. I should try to follow the same steps, except for the complete exhaustion of power. I could have told myself, but I didn't think about. I'm curious to see if this has cured the problem, it might very well have. It seems to work now 🙂

But I must admit, this whole thing has made me consider ditching the Corsair HX1050 PSU, and maybe go for a SeaSonic Platinum Series 860 instead. Everything about this PSU has been a dissapointment, especially since the other two Corsairs I have had, performed really well.

clubfoot
Level 7
Based on your posts I would say there is nothing wrong with your power supply,...except when you "completely" remove all voltage from it.

You have a very large capacity power supply and draining it like you do will take some time before all the capacitors are fully charged again. Thus the error message.

If you leave it plugged in, PS power supply switch in the On position you should not experience the double boot. The only other item that may cause this is setting ASMedia ports to disabled in the BIOS as you do not overclock.

BTW don't throw the PS away,...give it to me 🙂
The Asus Maximus VI Hero Club

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VI HERO, i4770K@4.5, Corsair H100i, 16G G.Skill Trident X @2400, MSI7950 xFire, C: Samsung EVO 250G SSD RAID0, BenQ XL2420Z, LG BD burner, Corsair RM1000i, Antec DF-85.