cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double Boot

chongmagic
Level 7
I just put together my Maximus VII Hero with a 4770K and Corsair 1866 memory. Currently I have the BIOS set to optimized defaults with the memory set to XMP.

Whenever I start the computer from a cold boot, say the next night after shutting it down, it boots and posts for about 10 seconds, shuts down, then boots up again.I have read that this is normal but in the Windows event log, it shows a critical error where Windows has shut down unexpectedly. I have a 840 Pro as my main C drive so I guess it is almost booted into Windows when the shutdown occurs.

Like I said I am not currently overclocking, I am running some stability tests at stock speeds before I push the CPU.

Is this normal? Is there a setting in the BIOS that will stop this from happening. I don't want my Windows files to get corrupted.

I have a Corsair H105 and the temps are normal, voltages are normal, no stability issues so far at stock from within Windows.

I used to have a P8P67-Pro that would do the same thing, but the trick there was disabling the ASMedia SATA ports in the BIOS.
19 REPLIES 19

Raja
Level 13
Is it a fresh operating system install? IRST drivers loaded?

Might be worth listing everything you have plugged into the board and also which OS you are using.

Yes this is a fresh install of WIndows 8.1, the board has a DVD-R, Samsung 840, WD 700Gb and 2Tb hard drive. Corsair 105 cooler, Asus 780Ti Direct CU, 16Gb Corsair 1866 RAM, currently all stock except XMP for memory settings.

I don't think I have Intel Rapid Start enabled in the bios, so most likely do not have the driver installed. I can try changing that and see if that resolves the issue.

I have heard several other users indicate they experience the same issue, it is due to the system testing the settings before start up, checking RAM etc. But it would be nice to

Yes this is a fresh install of WIndows 8.1, the board has a DVD-R, Samsung 840, WD 700Gb and 2Tb hard drive. Corsair 105 cooler, Asus 780Ti Direct CU, 16Gb Corsair 1866 RAM, currently all stock except XMP for memory settings.

I don't think I have Intel Rapid Start enabled in the bios, so most likely do not have the driver installed. I can try changing that and see if that resolves the issue.

I have heard several other users indicate they experience the same issue, it is due to the system testing the settings before start up, checking RAM etc. But it would be nice to

chongmagic
Level 7
Also this only happens upon a cold boot, everything is fine otherwise. Temps are at 30C idle, 56C Load with AIda64. No BSODs, all benchmarks thus far put it on par to where it is supposed to be a stock.

Raja
Level 13
Try disabling XMP for memory - 1866 is techincally an OC for this platform I believe. See if going down to one DIMM and or 1333 changes anything. If it does, then instability. If it does not, then start removing devices one at a time and see if any of those is casuing the OS failures.

Double BOOT otherwise is quite normal to be honest. It's only the Windows stuff that hints something is a amiss. A proper double POST does not BOOT the OS in between the restart from AC cycle.

-Raja

I disabled fast boot in Windows under power options and the error is no longer appearing in the event log. Also the double post is no longer happening, so that seems to have fixed the problem. For the heck of it I ran MemTest on both sticks of memory and no errors were found after running it overnight. I have also ran Aida64 and Real Bench for two hours each at stock settings and everything seems fine. Temps never got over 59C. Everything seems stable.

strangegoat
Level 7
This is interesting. I also get a sort of 'double boot' on cold start (anytime the psu has been switched off at its own rocker switch) but mine is slightly different .. turn on psu (give it a few seconds to power up the mobo), hit power button on front of case, fans spin up and post starts to happen for about 2 seconds at most then it all powers down for about 3 seconds then all fires back up again on its own, posts, boots to windows and all is good. I have read that it may be a bios issue but I can't find anything untoward in my bios settings. Only happens on a cold boot .. if the psu is left on while the rig is powered down then it doesn't happen on start up. Do you guys think this is normal? The only bios setting s that are non default are XMP enabled on the RAM, Core voltage set to manual (1.250v) and core ratios manually set to x43. Other than that odd cold boot hiccup the rig runs beautifully so its not overly worrying, I'd just like to get a better idea of why it does it, lol. Thanks in advance 😉
Corsair Carbide 300R / ROG Z97 Maximus VII Ranger / Intel i5-4670k @ 4.3GHz / 8GB 2133MHz Mushkin Blackline RAM / Corsair H100i Hydro / 240GB Kingston SSD / 1TB WD Blue HDD / EVGA GTX750Ti SC @ 1408MHz / Zalman ZM450GS PSU

Raja
Level 13
That is normal from power cycle.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
That is normal from power cycle.

[Edit] Sorry, I just found the thread where you explained this in details. Feel free to ignore my question. Thanks.

Sorry for bringing this topic up again. Raja, can you elaborate why is that a normal power cycle? What is it really doing behind the scene?

I have exactly the same issue as strangegoat where it would double boot whenever I cold start the PC and IIRC, I didn't have this issue when I first assembled my PC a month ago. It only started a few days back.
CPU: i7 4770K | MOBO: ASUS Maximus VII Hero | RAM: 12GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR3-1333 | HDD: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB | HDD#2: Western Digital 1TB | GPU: ASUS GTX 770 DirectCU II OC 2GB SLI | Chasis: Corsair Obsidian 900D | PSU: Seasonic Platinum P1000 | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i