cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750jm-ds71 cpu high temperature problem

cagamut
Level 7
I have G750JM-DS71 and want to ask a few questions. When on desktop or surfing in internet my cpu cores are 60-70 celcius with %30 load at most (each one %30 ). Isn't it too higt for this load. I'm afraid to use at full load. While playing games fans run at maximum and the cpu temperatures are 60-70 celcius again. But when not runnig a game only the left fan works at very slow speed. It only speedsa little sometimes. Is 60-70 celcius normal? Why can not the laptop fix it under 50 celcius. Isn't that better and more healty? If this is a problem does it have any solution?
16 REPLIES 16

Prostar_Compute
Level 9
60 - 70 C may be a little high for basic use, but it's not threatening. What is the temperature when the computer is idle (everything on and running, but no activity on your part)?

We customize Asus, MSI, and Clevo laptops!

its the same actually.it does not change too much. but if i restart the computer temperatufe gets down to 40 celcius for a while (a couple hours) then itbs the same again gets up 60 celcius
does anyone have a guess why is this happenning?

hmscott
Level 12
cagamut wrote:
I have G750JM-DS71 and want to ask a few questions. When on desktop or surfing in internet my cpu cores are 60-70 celcius with %30 load at most (each one %30 ). Isn't it too higt for this load. I'm afraid to use at full load. While playing games fans run at maximum and the cpu temperatures are 60-70 celcius again. But when not runnig a game only the left fan works at very slow speed. It only speedsa little sometimes. Is 60-70 celcius normal? Why can not the laptop fix it under 50 celcius. Isn't that better and more healty? If this is a problem does it have any solution?

cagamut, the new JM CPU runs hot, about 10c hotter than the previous JW/JX/JH, but it should be ok - buying an extended Asus Warranty might be a good idea for these new G750's - you have 90 days from purchase to do it:

Create a login here, register laptop, then enter your VIP extended warranty card number via Service Package Activation
http://vip.asus.com

The left side fan (facing the screen side) is the CPU cooling fan, and the right side fan is the GPU fan. The CPU fan will be running more often, as the GPU fan won't kick in till you load the GPU - gaming, CUDA, etc.

There are several things you can do to reduce the temp of the CPU, and on the G750JM/JS/JZ, one more thing will make a huge difference - tune the Optimus settings such that everything uses the Nvidia GPU - that takes the heat load off of the Intel GPU that shares the same die as the Intel CPU - the reason the CPU is 10c hotter on the new G570JM/JS/JZ.

But, in your case you seem to be running 20c hotter... since your laptop is new, you might have background things running using CPU in addition to the GPU load for displaying and rendering Windows, IE, Firefox, etc.

Check your CPU load with Windows Task Manager, and sort on the CPU column (highest usage on top) so you can see if something pops up running and heating up the CPU. Indexing, anti-virus scans, etc might be contributing to the heat.

Switch your browser to use Nvidia GPU. Even idle tabs in your browser are using rendering and CPU on the Intel CPU/GPU.

There have already been a couple of people that have gone through several JM's trying to find a cooler running one, without success, and moved to the JS/JZ - so be aware you might already have one as good as it gets.

Have you tried doing some video/cpu benchmarks to see if you go into thermal throttling, that is a good reason to return the laptop. You can monitoring for thermal throttling using the Sensors Only mode of HWINFO64
http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Keep it running all the time while you are evaluating your laptop, and watch the Thermal Throttling line, current, high, low, to see if it ever catches your CPU going into Thermal Throttling.

Let us know what you find!

cagamut
Level 7
thank you for your concern. i will try your advices.thermal throttling is a new thing to me i didnt know such a thing.i also suspious about the drivers because when i restart the windows cpu temps gets back to normal 40-50 celcius for a couple hours. and while running a game it gets 75 celcius at most.(with turbo fan i will inform you after i try your advices

cagamut wrote:
thank you for your concern. i will try your advices.thermal throttling is a new thing to me i didnt know such a thing.i also suspious about the drivers because when i restart the windows cpu temps gets back to normal 40-50 celcius for a couple hours. and while running a game it gets 75 celcius at most.(with turbo fan i will inform you after i try your advices

cagamut, those low temps are a good sign 🙂

When you have high temps, something is running in the background, CPU or GPU, and heating up the CPU - look for what is running while that is happening, and figure out how to stop it - change settings / config - or uninstall it 🙂

cagamut
Level 7
I made some tests about the temperatures. First i made a system scan with kaspersky and found some programs using cpu and after that cpu usage decreased. And I fixed windows store application which was consuming % 20 of cpu. I set my browser and other programs to use nvidia gpu. Now with %10 cpu uasge my temps are lower than 40 celcius. Wİth % 20-30 usage it's about 50-60 celcius and I think it's high for this usage. After this I made a test with %100 cpu usage to see what will be the temparature and it was at 80 celcius (at most 88). This result is interesting %30 usage makes 60 celcius but %100 does not increase above 88. I think this is the way these models have been engineered. Do you think 88 celcius at most normal for a notebook like this.

And I discovered something else. Using gpu for runnig the programs does not decrease the cpu temperatures because it never uses nvidia gpu even though you configure to use it. Lots of people are complaining about this problem about the optimus software. I can't use nvidia gpu for playing movies, running browsers or use cuda for converting files and this is annoying for a high specification notebook. I hope nvidia changes mind from this obstinacy and lets to use nvidia gpu at will. I have cuda but I can't use it. Only games can use nvidia

cagamut wrote:
I made some tests about the temperatures. First i made a system scan with kaspersky and found some programs using cpu and after that cpu usage decreased. And I fixed windows store application which was consuming % 20 of cpu. I set my browser and other programs to use nvidia gpu. Now with %10 cpu uasge my temps are lower than 40 celcius. Wİth % 20-30 usage it's about 50-60 celcius and I think it's high for this usage. After this I made a test with %100 cpu usage to see what will be the temparature and it was at 80 celcius (at most 88). This result is interesting %30 usage makes 60 celcius but %100 does not increase above 88. I think this is the way these models have been engineered. Do you think 88 celcius at most normal for a notebook like this.

And I discovered something else. Using gpu for runnig the programs does not decrease the cpu temperatures because it never uses nvidia gpu even though you configure to use it. Lots of people are complaining about this problem about the optimus software. I can't use nvidia gpu for playing movies, running browsers or use cuda for converting files and this is annoying for a high specification notebook. I hope nvidia changes mind from this obstinacy and lets to use nvidia gpu at will. I have cuda but I can't use it. Only games can use nvidia

cagamut, did you set the Nvidia Control panel to use Nvidia for Physx instead of auto/CPU?

There is a program called Nvidia Inspector, that lets you tweak / force settings, and that allows work arounds for lots of apps to use Nvidia GPU instead of Intel under Optimus. When the Nvidia Global/Program settings don't work, this is the next step to try.

https://www.google.com/search?num=50&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=3E9&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aoffi...

You are on your own with this one, I can't help as I don't have an Optimus laptop to test the tweaks, but if you google for your game/app name + optimus and then add Nvidia Inspector, you should find help - and do those searches on Youtube.com too, there are lots of Optimus tweaking videos.

Your temps are about right as far as I have seen reported - Optimus adds about 10c to the CPU temperature because that video circuitry is powered up, over the CPU temps we see on the JW/JX/JH without Optimus.

When you are ready, set negative offset voltages for Dynamic CPU Voltage offset and CPU Cache Voltage offset using Intel XTU to reduce power usage and CPU temps. Start at -25mV and keep reducing up to about -125mV, the more you can undervolt and stay stable the lower your temps will be. It helps on the JW/JX/JH, but helps even more on the JM/JS/JZ to reduce the overall temps so you don't thermal throttle under heavy CPU/IntelGPU load.

I am facing the same problems here. I tried changing the power plans and setting nvidia optimus for GTX 870 only. Well stressing the system with AIDA 64 I got 100°C and start throttling (i noticed that the clock downs and next rises up again). That is really annoying. Here are some pics. Stressing the system with aida and idle. During League of Legends and SFIV the max temp that I got for the CPU was 85°C but the average was 75°C. It's weird right? Stressing softwares makes it throttling and gaming no o.O.

Should I contact asus for a replacement or its normal for this series?

Thanks Guys

Neovox wrote:
I am facing the same problems here. I tried changing the power plans and setting nvidia optimus for GTX 870 only. Well stressing the system with AIDA 64 I got 100°C and start throttling (i noticed that the clock downs and next rises up again). That is really annoying. Here are some pics. Stressing the system with aida and idle. During League of Legends and SFIV the max temp that I got for the CPU was 85°C but the average was 75°C. It's weird right? Stressing softwares makes it throttling and gaming no o.O.

Should I contact asus for a replacement or its normal for this series?

Thanks Guys

Neovox, I would hold off on complaining to Asus for the moment. Those temps are too high, but the question is how did you generate those temps? What tests in aida64 did you enable? Do you have CPU + cache + fpu + GPU?

A CPU only 100% load shouldn't generate temps that high, but running both the CPU/GPU tests at 100% on the Intel CPU/GPU can show those CPU temps.

You forced it to run on the Nvida GPU, but did it really do that? The GPU work might still be running on the Intel GPU - you can run GPU-Z to watch where the load is really running. Look to see whether the load is on the Intel GPU or the Nvidia GPU while running the aida64 GPU test - watch the GPU temps on the Nvidia GPU too - low temps indicate no load.

If you are loading up max CPU / GPU, and the default GPU is the Intel GPU, that is the worst possible case. The CPU part of the Haswell die is maxxed out, as is the GPU part of the Haswell die. And, your CPU temps indicate that is what is going on.

Please post the aida64 stress test dialog showing the tests selected, like this if it's not too much trouble, showing GPU-Z and hwinfo64 temps - that way we know the GPU used / temps along with the CPU speed / temps:

Normally on an Optimus enabled laptop, you want to force the GPU work to be done on the discrete GPU, if available, in this case the Nvidia GTX GPU. That way you can offload the CPU die to only bear the power/heat load of the CPU tasks and let the GPU handle the rendering. If you can verify that AIDA64 runs on the Nvidia GPU, please post both runs with both CPU/GPU on the Intel GPU and the run on the Intel CPU + Nvidia GPU.

We are also discussing this here:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48404-G750-JS-CPU-Overheating-What-Thermal-Solution&p=41135...

CME64 has a rendering test that is running on the Intel GPU is bringing the temps up into the mid 90c's.