cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750jh-db71 - Can't update the BIOS

ShagraX
Level 7
When I try to update my bios via either of winflash or easy flash utility, it goes to a blue screen where it displays the bios specs of the bios file that I want to update my bios to. However, even though I wait like 5-10 minutes, there is no installation bar or anything, just a plain blue screen with some writings on the top. Normally, there should have been an installation bar below those writings...

What am I doing wrong? I put my bios file into a fat32 usb stick and everything, and I'm sure that my bios version is right.
26 REPLIES 26

hmscott
Level 12
ShagraX wrote:
When I try to update my bios via either of winflash or easy flash utility, it goes to a blue screen where it displays the bios specs of the bios file that I want to update my bios to. However, even though I wait like 5-10 minutes, there is no installation bar or anything, just a plain blue screen with some writings on the top. Normally, there should have been an installation bar below those writings...

What am I doing wrong? I put my bios file into a fat32 usb stick and everything, and I'm sure that my bios version is right.

If you unpacked the bios file from the zip package, and the file is the correct one for your laptop, and select it - you should have the option to update it, you need to take action to confirm the update.

Take a photo of what you see and post it here so we can help. You are probably missing something in the interface and not taking an action needed to make the update. A couple of shots of the bios and how you got there would help too.

ShagraX
Level 7
What kind of confirmation? After I click on the bios file in easy flash utility, a window opens and I choose yes option then it goes to a blue screen but there is no installation bar.... And nothing happens. After 10-15 minutes I just shut down my computer ..

ShagraX wrote:
What kind of confirmation? After I click on the bios file in easy flash utility, a window opens and I choose yes option then it goes to a blue screen but there is no installation bar.... And nothing happens. After 10-15 minutes I just shut down my computer ..

I can't see what you are seeing, that is why I asked for a photo(s)...to let us know what you are doing and seeing. Your verbal description isn't helping. From it I have to assume the BIOS file you are trying to load is corrupted, or the flash drive is problematic.

If you are using the same BIOS file on the flash drive, and for Winflash, then it is the BIOS file that is causing the problem - re-download and unpack again, and try again. Use a different download option at the Asus site - Global/vs other download options.

And, then try Winflash again, it doesn't do the flash under Windows, it only schedules the BIOS update to occur at reboot.

ShagraX
Level 7

I downloaded the file again, but there is only one server, so I downloaded it again from "global". Then I extracted it, then I used a different fat32 usb stick. Then I opened winflash and flashed the new bios, but the above screen is what I am left with after the restart and It doesn't do anything, then, after 5 minutes I just shut down my computer. By the way, while in this blue screen, cpu fan goes bananas...

ShagraX wrote:

I downloaded the file again, but there is only one server, so I downloaded it again from "global". Then I extracted it, then I used a different fat32 usb stick. Then I opened winflash and flashed the new bios, but the above screen is what I am left with after the restart and It doesn't do anything, then, after 5 minutes I just shut down my computer. By the way, while in this blue screen, cpu fan goes bananas...

What version BIOS version do you have installed on the G750JH?

hmscott wrote:
What version BIOS version do you have installed on the G750JH?

202 Version

ShagraX wrote:
202 Version

202JHA?

I haven't seen that version before, mine came with 203JHA, and the support page for the G750JH doesn't list 202JHA or 202JH, or even 202

It's possible that upgrading from 202JHA to 203JHA might be something to try.

Then when that is successful upgrade from 203JHA to 204JHA, which worked ok for me.

Here are the BIOS currently listed on the G750JH support site.

BIOS 204
BIOS 203 (G750JHA)
BIOS 205 (G750JH)
BIOS 204 (G750JHA)
BIOS 206 (G750JH)

Notice there are 2 204 versions, one for JH and one for JHA... your BIOS does say 202JHA, or just 202? The first G750JH's didn't have a JHA version, they started without anything but the number... no JH or JHA until the JHA came out.

If your BIOS only says 202, and doesn't say JHA, then try upgrading to 206JH...

Mine is 202 JHA, I also tried to upgrade to 203 JHA, but I'll give it another try now ...

ShagraX wrote:
Mine is 202 JHA, I also tried to upgrade to 203 JHA, but I'll give it another try now ...

The lock on the BIOS screen isn't good, it is refusing to use that BIOS... either it is corrupt or it is the wrong series, or perhaps there is a hardware problem. Or something I haven't seen before 🙂

Do you have the admin password set? I haven't set it myself in the BIOS so I don't know what it looks like to get locked out - I would have assumed it would prompt for the admin password.

If you can't update the BIOS, file a Technical Inquiry with Asus, along with a nice description of the problem and attach a zip file with the screenshot(s).

You can set up a login here, register your laptop, and file the Technical Inquiry
http://vip.asus.com