cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First post! Slight issue here

chastucker
Level 7
Hello Everyone!!

I just recently made the switch from mac to pc, as well as console to pc. My custom build is as follows..

Corsair Obsidian 900D (Overkill but oh well, shoot me! lol)

Intel Core i7 4770k (stock clock)

EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Superclocked 3GB

ASUS Maximus VII

G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB (2x4gb)

WD BLACK SERIES WD1003FZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

And finally the CPU is being cooled by a Corsair H100i

So my main concern is this. Under normal usage, my cpu is running around 30-36 degrees Celcius. But the main problem im finding is that under load (BF4 at ultra settings) The temps spike to some obsurd amount such as 97 degrees Celsius. I saved up for a long time to be sure I could afford all the stuff I truly wanted, and everything RUNS smooth, its just that the temprature concerns me. Can anyone shed any light on if this is normal for a Haswell CPU or not? And if it isnt, what can I do to make it cooler? The H100i is mounted at the top in an exhaust configuration and ive also applied some Arctic Silver 5 paste... Im cluless. Havent built a PC in over 8 years lol. Thanks everyone!!

Chas Tucker
17 REPLIES 17

abvolt
Level 11
That temp is far too high are you getting the temp info from the corsair link software if so disable it and try something like core temp just to verify that is a correct temp your getting. Did you also use thermal paste under the block/pump, remember to set a fan profile for the h100i..
Current: MSI Xpower Gaming Titanium | 7700K | G Skill Ripjaws V 3000 16Gb | 960 EVO 500Gb | Intel 730 480Gb | Seasonic 1000 Platinum |
NZXT X62 | Acer XB270HU | EVGA 1080 ti FTW3

Secondary: R4BE | 4930K | G.SKILL 2400 16GB | Corsair AX 1500i
Intel 730 240GB + 480GB | EVGA GTX780 ti sli kpe | Custom H20

HiVizMan
Level 40
Please check that your Corsair pump is actually working. Those temps are way out of expected levels.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Please check that your Corsair pump is actually working. Those temps are way out of expected levels.

If the pump is working you may have a problem with the back plate. There could an issue with there being too much slack not allowing the water block to form as tight a seal as needed. I had this problem with my MVE and H80i.

Try putting some thin fiber/rubber washers between the back plate and mobo, that should do the trick. I saw my temps go down by 7 or 8 degrees.

Good luck.
I'd rather be a smartass than a dumbass!!!

Maximus V Extreme - 3770K @ 4.5ghz - Kingston Hyper X KHX24C11K4/16X 16GB @ 2400mhz
Corsair Hydro Series H80i - 2 x MSI GTX 770 Lightning - Samsung 830 SSD 256GB - WD Caviar Black 2TB
Xonar Phoebus - Corsair AX1200i - Antec Eleven Hundred - LG 27EA63V

jab383
Level 13
The 30-36 C temperatures for normal use are okay. Can't really get much lower because of thermal conduction inside the CPU package.

No temperature in the 90s is acceptable for a sustained application like a game that runs for a few hours at a time. 97 C is even too high for a brief competitive benchmark because it's very likely that the CPU is throttling when temperature peaks hit 100C. This sort of temperature can happen due to the thermal bottleneck in the CPU package with moderate overclocking, but not at stock speeds.

As others said, check the pump and the even, firm seating of the waterblock. A too-tight cooler can cause socket connections under the CPU to miss the pads and things stop working, so don't over do.

A single temperature monitor is important. Two or more monitors trying to share the sensors will definitely trip each other up. Corsair Link is known not to play well with others, so it should be the first to go if there is a conflict.

Jeff

chastucker
Level 7
Thanks for all the help guys! I'm thinking it could possibly be a seating issue with the mobo/processor. I did apply the Arctic Silver directly between the two, I cleaned the pre applied paste off of the H100i. I'm trying to reproduce the issue, and it seems like it only runs that hot now when I run a intel burn test or something. Is THAT normal? Maybe it was only running hot because it wasn't quite seated well considering I just built it a few days ago! Now when I play BF4 it runs at about 60 degrees at the max. Now its running at a steady 50-55. I cant seem to get it to get anywhere close to the temp I originally recorded unless its a stress test. I just want to be sure its good in the temp category before i begin trying to overclock or tweak! Thanks again everyone! Your input is greatly appreciated!!!

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
The temps now sound much better but...

At stock it should not give those earlier temperatures at idle or at load. Assuming a normal 24 degree ambient temp it should be about the 30 degree mark idle and 70s tops running a stress test unless the chip is using high voltage. If you run a stress test have you looked at the load voltage in CPUz?

I'm not a fan of mysteriously resolved problems...I think it would be wise to dismount the cooler and check that the TIM has spread very thinly over the CPU...i.e. check the contact and remount carefully checking you have the correct setup. If you have good contact I would keep an eye on the cooler for a while before OCing...maybe bubbles or blockage was causing this and might return...maybe carefully tip PC about. Feel the tubes coming from the pump block...if one is warmer than the other flow might be limited.

Often reversing the airflow so the the fans are drawing cool air from outside the case over the radiator can help with temperatures but you have to make sure your fan config in the rest of the case helps airflow out of the case...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:

At stock it should not give those earlier temperatures at idle or at load. Assuming a normal 24 degree ambient temp it should be about the 30 degree mark idle and 70s tops running a stress test unless the chip is using high voltage. If you run a stress test have you looked at the load voltage in CPUz?

I'm not a fan of mysteriously resolved problems...I think it would be wise to dismount the cooler and check that the TIM has spread very thinly over the CPU...i.e. check the contact and remount carefully checking you have the correct setup. If you have good contact I would keep an eye on the cooler for a while before OCing...maybe bubbles or blockage was causing this and might return...maybe carefully tip PC about. Feel the tubes coming from the pump block...if one is warmer than the other flow might be limited.

Often reversing the airflow so the the fans are drawing cool air from outside the case over the radiator can help with temperatures but you have to make sure your fan config in the rest of the case helps airflow out of the case...

Thanks I'm going to do that today! I'll probably just clean the current paste off and re apply paste. Think that would be the best route rather than just re applying and not cleaning the surface? I've debated on a push pull config on the radiator also.. Not sure how much of a difference it would make though!

Arne Saknussemm wrote:

Oh, and what would be the best way in your opinion to apply thermal paste? I just put some about the size of a pencil around. Maybe i applied too much?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
That is the sort of thing you can check dismounting the cooler. Ideally, if there is good contact, when you separate the cooler form the CPU you are going to see a thin almost see-through layer on both the cooler and CPU and an even coating. If you see the TIM spread out but still thick on both surfaces maybe too much paste maybe not good contact. If you see the paste is thin in only one corner you know the cooler is not mounted ideally etc.

Really the application method is not so important I think...maybe the quantity more...put like a big fat grain of rice in the middle of the CPU and let the pressure of the cooler spread it out...