cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overriding Intel 4600 with Nvidia 760m

superbeef
Level 7
Hello

I just brought a ASUS G56JR Laptop and I am having some troubles overriding the Intel 4600 Graphics card with the Nvidia Geforce GTX760M for HDMI output. I can set the Nvidia as the default GPU within the Nvidia control panel but regardless the Intel seems to be used as the display controller for HDMI. The Intel 4600 seems to struggle with HD movies and reserves RAM so the Nvidia seems the better choice. On my old laptop there were settings within the Nvidia control panel for HDMI output but within the G56's interface there seems to be no option, not even within the BIOS.
Has anyone had any luck completely overriding the Intel GPU or setting the Nvidia for HDMI output?

Any help would be much appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5

theclaw37
Level 9
If the G56 is built like the G750 (and it probably is), then the HDMI out is directly linked to the iGPU (the Intel HD Graphics), and the NVidia card is just linked through the PCI-e bus to the intel (or rather probably to the chipset). It's kind of like this 37801

Therefore, the NVidia has no control over HDMI.

Prostar_Compute
Level 9
This is the route several OEMs have taken to. External displays are driven by the Intel chip per hardware design. Those ports are routed as seen in theclaw's post (good diagram, by the way).

We customize Asus, MSI, and Clevo laptops!

theclaw37
Level 9
@Prostar thanks, it's not mine though, i can't take credit for it :).
@superbeef i hope it's clear now why you can't force the nvidia gpu to drive some of the programs you use (and some ports)

superbeef
Level 7
Thank you for your advice.
Its a bit lame that this is the case, as it completely defies the point of having a dedicated graphics card.

superbeef wrote:
Thank you for your advice.
Its a bit lame that this is the case, as it completely defies the point of having a dedicated graphics card.

superbeef, I totally agree, Optimus has reduced the awesomeness of what is an awesome laptop, and brought Zero advantages.

I really hope Asus offers G750 future models without Optimus, and connect the screen directly to the Discrete CPU.