cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade memory help

lemoncadebay
Level 7
I picked up this laptop (http://www.frys.com/product/8043034?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG) it comes with 12g ram. I think I can open the back and add another RAM stick, is that right? DO I need to replace them all or can I add just one more (4g) and up things to 16g?

I'm assuming I have 3 x 4g = 12g.

or

Maybe I have 2 x 6g = 12g.

I'm new to this sorry for the newbie questions.

Thank you for any advice.
6 REPLIES 6

Phantzm
Level 7
Odds are you have 3x4Gb modules. You can add just one so long as it is similar to the others. Make sure it is 1.35v though. I found several on eBay when I upped mine to 32Gb. YMMV for what's available though.
ASUS G750JM+
32GB RAM / SAMSUNG EVO 1TB SSD / 1TB HDD / BD-RW
ESO / RIFT / NeverWinter / GuildWars 2 / Thief / NWN & NWN2 /
TITANFALL / BF 2-4 / UT2004 / Q4 / Crysis 1~3 / Dead Space 1~3

Darnassus
Status Under Review
There is no such thing as 6 gigabyte ram.

Computing space is in binary. 1,2,4,8,16,32,64,128 and so on. ;x

You'd have 4gb x 3 in there. Chances are, the free dimm slot is under the back panel (the easy to access side)

Prostar_Compute
Level 9
lemoncadebay wrote:
I picked up this laptop (http://www.frys.com/product/8043034?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG) it comes with 12g ram. I think I can open the back and add another RAM stick, is that right? DO I need to replace them all or can I add just one more (4g) and up things to 16g?

I'm assuming I have 3 x 4g = 12g.

or

Maybe I have 2 x 6g = 12g.

I'm new to this sorry for the newbie questions.

Thank you for any advice.

Hopefully it's 8 GB + 4 GB so that the system is running in dual channel. If you find you are running on three modules (4 GB x 3), then definitely get one more memory module. There are two banks/slots under the keyboard and two on the bottom side (accessible by removing the back cover).

We customize Asus, MSI, and Clevo laptops!

Maxter
Level 9
Get Speccy from Piriform. You can see how many modules you have in that little free awesome piece of software...

Caastiel
Level 7
Hey guys, my G750JM has 8GB inside it. I'm thinking of getting perhaps another 8 or 16 gigs of ram on it but this will be the first time I'm upgrading. I'm a little confused as to the specifics behind it such as the brand though, but I do know that it has to be a 1.35v DDR3L. Anyone care to fill me in on what to look out for regarding ram upgrades?

Caastiel wrote:
Hey guys, my G750JM has 8GB inside it. I'm thinking of getting perhaps another 8 or 16 gigs of ram on it but this will be the first time I'm upgrading. I'm a little confused as to the specifics behind it such as the brand though, but I do know that it has to be a 1.35v DDR3L. Anyone care to fill me in on what to look out for regarding ram upgrades?

Caastiel, there is a sticky thread for this, there is a lot to read, so you might want to start from the end and work your way back till you get what you are looking for.

Upgraders: 1.35V memory is required!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33744-Upgraders-1.35V-memory-is-required!&p=272284&viewfull...