Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    ROG Member Array

@hmscott, yes it is a very simple scene and it takes about 30 seconds to render,
    I'm surprised your max temp was 74c, mine got to 95c on the same scene ..

@dblkk, you're getting high temps as me, temps better get to like us soon 3

So I found a temporary solution for rendering, but it is a work around not a solution really,
    I changed the maximum processor's state from the power options to 99% instead of 100%
    the turbo stopped working, I could render fine (but a bit slow) and no dangerous temps (max reached was about 70c) and it took 34 seconds to render
    here is a screenshot
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lastRender.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	424.6 KB 
ID:	38008

Also on AIDA64, the max temp for stress testing was 81c on 2.4ghz no turbo boost

I wonder if turbo oc temp was overlooked by ASUS while planning the cooling system, it seems that the thermal compound is working fine with 2.4ghz or it would have throttled otherwise (thermal compound problems don't give exceptions for lower clocks)

I'm going to try to figure out a solution to limit the turbo boost's max clock to protect the CPU and get the maximum performance possible

Regards,
    CME64

test dde
    ACER PREDATOR G9-791 |Intel Core i7-6700HQ |16 GB RAM |GTX970M 3GB |FULL HD | 750GB SSD | Samsung 850 PRO & 2X M.2 SSD RAID 0
    G75VW |Intel Core I7-3610QM |24GB RAM |GTX670M 3 GB |FULL HD | 526GB SSD | Samsung 840 EVO & 850 PRO
    GL552VW |Intel Core i7-6700HQ |12 GB RAM |GTX960M 3GB |FULL HD | 256GB SSD | Samsung

ROG Guru: Platinum Belt Array hmscott PC Specs
    hmscott PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G750JH-DB71 (legacy)
    MotherboardAsus G750JH Intel HM87
    ProcessorIntel i7-4700HQ XTU Cores 36x/35x/34x/34x Cache 36x -50mV undervolt
    Memory (part number)Hyundai Electronics HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB 1.35v DDR3L-1600MHz
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia 780m Asus GPU Tweak OC 932mhz/6300mhz
    Sound CardRealtek v6.0.1.7469 driver
    MonitorAUO B173HW02 V1 Custom Refresh 85hz
    Storage #1RAID0 2x M.2 SATA Crucial MX200 512GB CT500MX200SSD6
    Storage #2Crucial 512GB 2.5" MX200 CT500MX200SSD1
    Power Supply230w AC Power Adapter 19.5v
    Keyboard Logitech k400 Wireless KB/Trackpad
    Headset Sony MDR-XB500 Wired and Sennheiser RS-220 Wireless TOSLINK
    OS Windows 8.1 + 8 Linux VM's + Windows 10 Technical Preview
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC68U DLINK DIR-655

Quote Originally Posted by CME64 View Post
    @hmscott, yes it is a very simple scene and it takes about 30 seconds to render,
    I'm surprised your max temp was 74c, mine got to 95c on the same scene ..
    @dblkk, you're getting high temps as me, temps better get to like us soon 3
    So I found a temporary solution for rendering, but it is a work around not a solution really,
    I changed the maximum processor's state from the power options to 99% instead of 100%
    the turbo stopped working, I could render fine (but a bit slow) and no dangerous temps (max reached was about 70c) and it took 34 seconds to render
    here is a screenshot
    Also on AIDA64, the max temp for stress testing was 81c on 2.4ghz no turbo boost
    I wonder if turbo oc temp was overlooked by ASUS while planning the cooling system, it seems that the thermal compound is working fine with 2.4ghz or it would have throttled otherwise (thermal compound problems don't give exceptions for lower clocks)
    I'm going to try to figure out a solution to limit the turbo boost's max clock to protect the CPU and get the maximum performance possible
    Regards,
    CME64
    CME64, disabling turbo is effective, but you might be able to get a bit more performance than that and still keep the heat down by using XTU to reduce the turbo multipliers - try 30x for a start. You can also apply negative voltage offset using XTU, start at -50mV on through -125mV, as far as you are stable, and that will reduce heat generation too.

I forgot to post the screenshot yesterday, added it to the post, and did another run now with hwinfo / GPU-Z running side by side to get the temps. The ambient temperature is up during the daytime, so this run went at 76c

You can see I am running at 3.4ghz turbo, which is why my run is only 23 seconds, instead of your 34 seconds. That is a huge performance difference, and over a large project could make a big difference in turn around time.

It is too bad you are getting these high temps on your CPU, the sooner you get it fixed the better

Name:	3ds max perspective view 2.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	553.7 KB 
ID:	38011

Just for fun, I worked out how to use the iray Nvidia CUDA renderer, still playing with it, but at least it is working and has an output. I had to play with the settings for lighting, background, etc to get anything but a black render image. You can see the GPU-Z showing GPU load on the 780m during the run.

Name:	3ds max perspective view Nvidia iray 1.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	607.2 KB 
ID:	38013

Found these references useful:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/3DSMAX...B-13F8F73EE5DD

http://on-demand.gputechconf.com/gtc...-Rendering.pdf

http://blog.irayrender.com/

http://blog.mentalray.com/

CPU temps went up during the iray run - it looks like some time would need to be spent to get a nice balance between performance and result - set to a 1 minute limited render.

I was hoping that off-loading the rendering to the GTX GPU would reduce the load on the CPU and allow you to work around the thermal throttling of the CPU without reducing performance through reducing the multi-plier's on the cores.

dblkk PM'd me some good results with tuning the core multipliers on turbo - I hope dblkk follows up in the thread - it could help you too.

CFE64, it looks like V-Ray will off load the rendering, without increasing the CPU temp, in fact the CPU runs really cool, and the CUDA rendering is quick, and the result seems the most compatible.

V-Ray download
    http://www.chaosgroup.com/en/2/downloads.html?s=v-ray

Installation Instructions
    http://help.chaosgroup.com/vray/help...structions.htm

V-Ray 3.0 for 3ds Max Help
    http://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/V...r+3ds+Max+Help

I installed the 64 bit V-Ray RT 3.00.07 for 3ds Max 2015, and it was pretty easy to set the render from CPU to Nvidia - and there are options to select a render server too. Didn't check cost

Name:	3ds max perspective view Nvidia vray 2.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	630.9 KB 
ID:	38019

CFE64, that V-ray is pretty cool, lots of great options, fast, and makes a nice render

http://www.chaosgroup.com/en/2/vray.html

http://www.chaosgroup.com/en/2/vray_licensing.html
    Last edited by hmscott; 06-22-2014 at 09:26 AM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by hmscott View Post
    CME64, disabling turbo is effective, but you might be able to get a bit more performance than that and still keep the heat down by using XTU to reduce the turbo multipliers - try 30x for a start. You can also apply negative voltage offset using XTU, start at -50mV on through -125mV, as far as you are stable, and that will reduce heat generation too.

I forgot to post the screenshot yesterday, added it to the post, and did another run now with hwinfo / GPU-Z running side by side to get the temps. The ambient temperature is up during the daytime, so this run went at 76c

You can see I am running at 3.4ghz turbo, which is why my run is only 23 seconds, instead of your 34 seconds. That is a huge performance difference, and over a large project could make a big difference in turn around time.

It is too bad you are getting these high temps on your CPU, the sooner you get it fixed the better

Name:	3ds max perspective view 2.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	553.7 KB 
ID:	38011
    Yea, i kind of gave up thinking that this new series will offer last series temps. Really wished i wouldve jumped on the JH train, but i use laptop on the go to much to give up optimus, so temps here i stay. But between 7 laptops now from the new sereies and identical temps being to high, im just going to accept this.

I thought I got a fairly decent undervolt, but didnt prove to drop next to anything temp wise. And will also most definitly try your idea of lower the turbo multiplier. Problem is right now at moment, any time i try to launch intel tuning i get an 'undable to start intel extremem tuning utility. if there is another performance tuning application running, you must close it before trying to start this application. This is all done before launching anything other than chrome, no other monitoring software or anything. A few restarts have been tried, so i will probably uninstall and then perhaps go to guru3d.com and redownload, dont remember which version im at, but ill grab the newest and retry my undervolt, and dropping multipliers.

I also use what was from reading, a very decent coolermaster laptop cooling pad, which drops temps maybe a degree or two. Urgh, kind of.

Just waiting for this next year to fly by, and then rethermal paste. I have a beast of a pc, and about $1000 worth of custom liquid cooling. And this has shown me how big of a difference thermal pastes can vary. With pc, i tried to oc the chip as high as possible. I got my 8350 to 1.496 volts at 5.3ghz on all 8 cores, but even with exceptional liquid cooling (360mm rad, 240mm rad, 120mm rad, (even took out my 780sli)) my temps were still hovering 65-70c, which is the max for the chip. Tried all top 5 rated thermal pastes, and each one applied identically ( there is some very very slight varience) temps did range from 61-72 through the different pastes. So I feel, after trying a few thermal pastes, i should easily get this laptop to at least drop below 95c.

hmscott PC Specs

Quote Originally Posted by dblkk View Post
    Yea, i kind of gave up thinking that this new series will offer last series temps. Really wished i wouldve jumped on the JH train, but i use laptop on the go to much to give up optimus, so temps here i stay. But between 7 laptops now from the new sereies and identical temps being to high, im just going to accept this.

I thought I got a fairly decent undervolt, but didnt prove to drop next to anything temp wise. And will also most definitly try your idea of lower the turbo multiplier. Problem is right now at moment, any time i try to launch intel tuning i get an 'undable to start intel extremem tuning utility. if there is another performance tuning application running, you must close it before trying to start this application. This is all done before launching anything other than chrome, no other monitoring software or anything. A few restarts have been tried, so i will probably uninstall and then perhaps go to guru3d.com and redownload, dont remember which version im at, but ill grab the newest and retry my undervolt, and dropping multipliers.

I also use what was from reading, a very decent coolermaster laptop cooling pad, which drops temps maybe a degree or two. Urgh, kind of.

Just waiting for this next year to fly by, and then rethermal paste. I have a beast of a pc, and about $1000 worth of custom liquid cooling. And this has shown me how big of a difference thermal pastes can vary. With pc, i tried to oc the chip as high as possible. I got my 8350 to 1.496 volts at 5.3ghz on all 8 cores, but even with exceptional liquid cooling (360mm rad, 240mm rad, 120mm rad, (even took out my 780sli)) my temps were still hovering 65-70c, which is the max for the chip. Tried all top 5 rated thermal pastes, and each one applied identically ( there is some very very slight varience) temps did range from 61-72 through the different pastes. So I feel, after trying a few thermal pastes, i should easily get this laptop to at least drop below 95c.
    dblkk, AIDA64 has conflicted in the past, try quitting it, or see if there is a service running that has the api locked up such that XTU can't read/write settings. You could look at your installs since XTU and see what might be the conflict and uninstall it.

Don't be surprised if a re-paste doesn't make much difference, you have found that all are about the same out of the factory, and in the past people have tried re-pasting only to find the same temps +- a few degree's - which turned out to be variations in ambient and location.

Contrary to popular belief, modern pastes put on by companies like Asus are good, not like the old days of thermal pads and too thick application of paste. But, at this point even a couple of degree's on the physical side will help keep you below thermal throttling, so it could help.

If you are real stingy with the paste, use high quality copper shims or lap the surfaces, are careful to make sure all the thermal connections are solid for the pipes, you might just make a big difference
    Last edited by hmscott; 06-22-2014 at 12:34 AM.

ROG Member Array

Hey guys, just to keep you updated...

I got a replacement from asus and I think now its fine.

My idle temps are around 38-40 C and the max temp with AIDA64 was 90 also stressing the gpu, which I suppose that are both intel and NVIDIA. The max temp average its 85 C now.

It seems that this model is a little bit hotter that the others before, but now the temperatures seems to be descent.

Thanks for you help

hmscott PC Specs

Quote Originally Posted by Neovox View Post
    Hey guys, just to keep you updated...

I got a replacement from asus and I think now its fine.

My idle temps are around 38-40 C and the max temp with AIDA64 was 90 also stressing the gpu, which I suppose that are both intel and NVIDIA. The max temp average its 85 C now.

It seems that this model is a little bit hotter that the others before, but now the temperatures seems to be descent.

Thanks for you help
    Neovox, that's great!!, it looks like you got a good one

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by sasuke256 View Post
    undervolt the cpu -50mv and enjoy -5°C
    how did you do this?

ROG Member Array

All of the ASUS G750xx laptops have an inherent case design flaw degrading the CPU thermal cooling over time if the laptop owner does not proactively take preventative measures. To expand, the inherent case design flaw is a result of where ASUS placed the Kensington security lock with a small hole/opening, which is at the left rear corner right next to the CPU thermal cooling components (e.g., cooling fins, fan and exhaust opening). And as a result of their placement of the Kensington security lock with the small opening, that small opening allows unfiltered air to be easily sucked directly into the laptop because it is located right next to the CPU cooling fan.

I've opened up my 8 months old G750 laptop and found an incredibly dusty CPU fan, which looked like it was from a CPU fan belonging to a 4 year old laptop, not an 8 months old laptop. Surprisingly, my GPU fan was very clean with almost no dust at all. Anyway, I cleaned all of the internals with a blower and taped up the Kensington lock opening to prevent future unfiltered air from being sucked into to the CPU cooling components. In the future, I also plan to open up my G750 to replace the CPU & GPU thermal compound as well as placing my own additional copper heatsinks to the CPU/GPU cooling components.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6