cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motherboard told me there was a power surge, now my video card doesn't work.

preventDefault
Level 7
Here's my hardware setup: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/ybNG3C

A couple nights ago I was having an extended gaming session (Insurgency) when my PC abruptly turned off. When it booted back up, I was greeted with a message telling me that the motherboard (Maximus Vi Formula) detected a power surge. But my computer boot right back up, I joined the server, and continued playing. I didn't think anything of it... I've read that sometimes that message can be a false positive.

The following night, it happened two more times. The last time, however, left my computer in an almost unusable state. Now when I boot up using the video output from the graphics card (Asus GTX780 OC), whether it be DVI or HDMI, I have some pretty extreme artifacts including in the BIOS.

When I go to boot into my OS, it gets even worse...

I've also recorded a video of what I see at boot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQpMoyFBSCg

When I remove the graphics card and use the onboard video, everything looks fine.

Normally, if it weren't for the power surge message, I'd assume it was the graphics card and RMA it immediately (Amazon has an easy enough process). But with that power surge message, I'm wondering if my power supply is the culrpit and replacing that would clear it up, or if my power supply was the culprit and permanently damaged my video card, requiring me to replace both. I've already reseated the card, memory, moved memory, removed memory, etc. to no avail. The memory successfully passed memtest86 when I first built this rig. I've also tried moving the video card to a different slot.

Unfortunately I do not have a spare (known good) power supply or video card to aid in troubleshooting. I was told to try purchasing a molex -> PCIe power adapter and trying that on the graphics card, but that part won't be here for a few days.

So what's my best course of action here? Should I RMA the power supply, and see if that fixes the issue? And if it doesn't, RMA the video card after? I'm guessing the final move after those two options are exhausted would be replacing the motherboard but it seems like the anti-surge protection operated as designed so far. Does this sound about right or am I missing something?

UPDATE: Replaced PSU, no change. Replaced graphics card and everything is fine now.
3 REPLIES 3

HiVizMan
Level 40
It does seem like something caused your VGA to go. However it could also just be coincidence too. That being said I have had to return twice my Corsair 850 psu and simply sold it on when I got the last RMA.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

preventDefault
Level 7
Both my Corsair PSU and Asus GTX780 are beyond Amazon's 30 day return window (by a few days) 😞

Corsair seems to have a longer return period if I return through them, but I never went through their process before. I wonder if they would cover the GPU if it really is bad.

HiVizMan
Level 40
If the PSU caused the GPU to go down then they have covered the replacement in the past. If they will do so this time I can not say.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.