cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange: Magnetic field(?) turns off G53SW screen

mamenyaka
Level 7
I accidentally stumbled upon this weird connection of things. Without connecting the External HDD to my laptop, it was just laying ontop of my notebook, next to the palm rest. Suddenly, the screen went out. First I tried pressing buttons, etc. Ended up rebooting. Later I discovered, that if I remove the External HDD from the top of my notebook, the screen comes back again. You should look at the video I made. I can reproduce the event as many times I want, but only precisely placing it the same way. Please, even read the video description and post comments there too.

Any ideas would be appreciated, and if you could tell me if it's hurting my laptop or not. (if I have done any damage to it by this).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IOE4v6HP-8
7 REPLIES 7

JRd1st
Level 12
Wow! I bet a magnet does that too.

I have no idea what's under the palmrest of that model. Sorry...
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Chastity
Level 10
The laptops Asus makes uses magnets to detect when the lid closes and is opened. Your drive must have tripped the sensor by the touchpad buttons, and caused it to think you closed your lid. 😄 BTW, that's hilarious. I love it!
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

mamenyaka
Level 7
Thanx for the reply! Phew, that cleared one big mistery.

grungeboy2
Level 10
almost all laptops (at least modern ones) do this.

in the olden days there was a small button towards the top of the base of a laptop. as the lid closed, it pressed the button and the monitor turned off.

around 2001-2003 most laptop manufacturers used magnets. a small magnet usually is located around the upper, left corner of the lcd panel bezel, and then another one around teh bottom left corner of the base. when these two magnets come into contact (or close enough to it) the lcd panel shuts off.

these magnets are extremely small and powerful.

when i worked for quanta, the techs would always fight over tools, us that had been there for sometime would take these small magnets, tape them to our tools we used, and then hide the tools in the metal desk we used. usually we would pull out a end cap and slide the tool down in there. that way when we came to work the next day we would have our good screwdrivers, pens, etc.

if the area you're in is tripping the magnet, then it must be a pretty strong magnetic field. you're not going to do that with a weak-ass fridge magnet.

you can take a paper clip and hold it to the top and left of the lcd panel. you should feel the magnet hold it there.

btw, totally not hurting the laptop by doing this, no real mystery, just the way laptops tell if the lid is closed or not.

I should have thought of that, but this is my first laptop. Ah well... I must be getting old. Lol
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

mamenyaka
Level 7
Yes! It totally worked. I slided my keys from left to right on the top of my monitor, and on the right side of my webcam, BOOM! This thing is really powerfull.

http://lookpic.com/c1/i2/3987/aeLUiBF5.jpeg

grungeboy2
Level 10
they're surprisingly powerful for being so tiny. the magnet is about the size of half of a pinkie nail.