cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new wireless card

Retired
Not applicable
Hey guys,

i got an asus g74sx and i read that it was really easy to change the wireless card.
so i just checked but i can't even find it :p. could someone tell me where it's placed.
O and can someone tell me if it would break my warranty if i changed it.

Hope you guys can help me,
Propagenda:)
8 REPLIES 8

JRd1st
Level 12
Look in this guide where it says "1. Disconnect the antennas and the speaker cable"

Good luck and let us know how the new card works. Mine is on it's way! 😉
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

TribalLink
Level 7
damn... thought it was easier haha , didnt know you had to basically take the whole computer apart to do it >.<

No you don't, its right out in the open, isn't it? Just take the bottom panel off. Then it's two wires that slip off and one screw.

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Pyro411
Level 7
As per request 1 disassemble guide http://btoforums.com/showthread.php?t=3525 From the looks of it you can detach the antennas for the wireless without a full rip apart but sadly it looks like there is not enough room between the card and case to wiggle it out without damaging something, but I could be wrong, trying to gauge available space is hard from pictures with no sizing reference.

I think there's enough room... I'll see soon enough, I guess. 😉

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Pyro411 wrote:
As per request 1 disassemble guide http://btoforums.com/showthread.php?t=3525 From the looks of it you can detach the antennas for the wireless without a full rip apart but sadly it looks like there is not enough room between the card and case to wiggle it out without damaging something, but I could be wrong, trying to gauge available space is hard from pictures with no sizing reference.

As I understand it, you flip the wireless card to a 45 degree angle and it just slides out. Haven't done this myself, however...
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

yeah. most laptops use these kinds of cards and connectors. super easy. if the area above the card is clear, (ie can you remove the screws?) if so, then take the screws out, the card will pop up, then slide right out.

just a fyi the area above the card will be clear, that's how they're assembled. pop off bottom panel, unscrew card, remove antenna connectors, slide out card. now you know how to replace it in pretty much all laptops made in the last 10-15 years.

mini-pci format. all kinds of neat things can go in there. SSD cards, upgrade cards, but usually it just gets used for wifi cards. if your laptop has a extra wire taped off that means it has a extra antenna and a card like intel's 6300 will have plugs for all three, not just two.

it's alot like doing a ram upgrade on a laptop, but easier.

grungeboy2
Level 10
i watched the guide, and i see what you guys are talking about, how the wifi card is off to the side and under a bit of plastic. no worries, it's still a cinch to remove. the screws come out and you will tilt the card up and out.

45 degrees isn't really necessary, it's more of a guideline.