cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G46 - Won't Boot - Power Light & Charging Light Illuminate

xbi0s
Level 7
Hey All -

I was doing an mSata install in December and ended up busting a ribbon connector off of the board that is on the bottom of the keyboard that goes to the motherboard. Well, thankfully for cl-Albert, I was able to get my replacement part installed and seems to be working (accepting the power button push to boot the computer).

The issue I am running into now:

When I push the power button... The power button illuminates, the "computer running light" (left hand side of the front LEDs) illuminates and so does the battery charging light. The computer doesn't boot.

I can hear the HDD spinning so it's getting power. I attempted to plug into another display to see if the monitor was having issues but that was not luck.

I read a few posts about disconnecting the battery, holding the power button for 45 seconds and trying... I attempted this but no luck. Anyone else have any other recommendations?

Thank you!
6 REPLIES 6

xbi0s
Level 7
Additional notes:

1. Attempted to hold the power button, battery unplugged and button battery removed for 45-60s
2. Attempted to hold power button with the button battery installed -- main battery removed and unplugged 45-60 seconds
3. Attempted to unseat both sets of RAM and try all 4 configurations.

No luck yet.

When I push the power button:
1. Power button illuminates.
2. Keyboard backlight flickers on and off quickly
3. Running/On light (left side) illuminates, charging light illuminates.
4. Capslock button will not illuminate when I press it.
5. Hard drive is spinning but the HDD light does not illuminate.
6. Monitor does not flicker or attempt to start.

GottiBoi55
Level 10
Try this BIOS factory reset

Hold down Ctrl+Home, then hit power button.
keep holding Ctrl+Home until "EZ-Flash" start.
(May have to hold for 60 seconds, or more, you will see keyboard lights flash and then say on when it starts to back flash BIOS)
Now wait until the factory shipped BIOS flash is finished, at the end of this process, it will say "restart in two seconds".
Your laptop should shut down on it's own (it's really important not to interrupt this process), and now you can try to start the PC.

This may work, if your BIOS is corrupt (May be your issue), will back flash your BIOS.

*This operation will reset the BIOS to the factory installed BIO
S*

PS: Not sure if this will work, but give it a try.
Good luck my friend.
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
If the system was working before you took it apart and all the hardware is still working okay, it may just be a problem with the assembly, and below are some ideas with these assumptions.

1. Make sure the memory is plugged in well, and try one module at a time in different slots.

2. When you take it apart and put it back together again, make sure the cables look okay as well as are plugged in correctly since there have been some posts for other models from people who have either had damaged cables, or cable installation issues causing 'no post' issues.

3. Consider unplugging any unnecessary items or devices that could be related to this like the hard drive, battery, extra memory modules, and anything else that could be related to try to isolate the problem more.
If you've never had to disconnect any items though, you probably don't want to touch them for now assuming everything is still connected okay from when things were working, but still might need to be checked later on.

4. Make sure nothing is shorting out the motherboard and watch out for screws that are too long in the wrong places and anything else like this.

5. If nothing works, you probably know you can send it to ASUS for out-of-warranty service too if it's really necessary which hopefully will not cost too much if it does not require any expensive part replacements, but you will not know this until they take a look.

Good luck!

mfcplflo
Level 7
Did you ever get your g46vw running? If you did what was the issue.

jacobssn
Level 7
You will most probably need a factory reset, just as @GottiBoi55 said.
I had the exact same symptoms like you yesterday and did this (with ac-adapter installed and battery installed):
HOME (hold) + CTRL (hold) + Power (tap)
It did require me to install my original HDD (my SSD wouldn't work) and a BIOS that I renamed to G46VW.BIN (I downloaded v209 from Asus website) placed in C:\ root.

The screen should magically start up with a blue interface for factory recovery.
I did do it a couple of times till it started.

EDIT: Memory combinations didn't do anything for me.
G46VW | 3740QM @3.7GHz (All cores) | SanDisk 960GB SSD | 16GB Kingston LoVo | GTX 660M | GTX 970 via Thunderbolt

marcoabe
Level 7
@GottiBoi55 THANK YOU SO MUCH!
I had exactly the same problem: power light ON, charging light ON, HD spinning, no Keyboard light, no boot.
Doing the BIOS Factory reset solved it.
So again, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!