cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Local Area Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration

Mirindo
Level 7
Hello,
I have a problem with my network. I have a new Asus Maximus VII Hero and Im getting this error in Network Diagnostics "Local Area Connection" doesnt have a valid IP configuration.
On my other computers connected with wi-fi internet works fine, but the main computer connected with ethernet cable is having this problem. I tried to call my internet provider and he said that Im not getting the IP adress from modem to motherboard. I reinstalled the drivers but the problem is still there.
I found a temporary solution here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZU6g38w1Qc
but my internet provider said I should use the option Obtain an IP adress automaticly.
And with this setting, my internet connection isnt stable and I dont have IPv6 Connection.

Can somebody help me? Im desperate. Dont now, what else I can do. I tried to find it on internet, but no solution for me. I dont have installed Bonjour DNS Responder Service.
And sorry for my english, I hope I described it correctly.
8 REPLIES 8

Tokens210
Level 10
First ensure you have the newest correct drivers

You could try googling the command prompt commands for IP address, something like

Ipconfig release and renew

As far as ipv6 I wouldn't worry about unless you need it, I have a formula vi board and enabling ipv6 causes blue screen after blue screen after blue screen for no reason except it says ipv6 tunneling psudeo crashed, disable it and my board runs 100% flawless
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo

The valid ip configuration issue is due to the inability of the NIC to get valid IP Address. Press Win + X and type hdwwiz.cpl. After that go to network adapters and note down the name of your Network adapter. Now unistall the network adapter by right clicking on the ethernet card. After this goto action and click on Scan for hardware changes.After the driver is reinstalled your problem is solved and if not then the name of the driver that you had noted down needs to be downloaded and insatlalled. https://appuals.com/ethernet-doesnt-have-a-valid-ip-configuration/

Puffnstuff
Level 10
It would help if we knew your network configuration. You state that you are connected directly to the modem yet have devices on Wi-Fi. Is it a modem/router and if so is dhcp enabled in the settings? As for IPv6 if your modem has been provisioned by your ISP for IPv6 your router should also have IPv6 enabled in order for clients to receive IPv6 addresses.
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, AMD 3900X, EVGA 360 aio, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z Neo, Samsung 970 Pro NVME 512gb, WD Black NVME 1 TB, Crucial MX500 2tb, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP!, EVGA Nu Audio, CM HAF 932

chilinmichael
Level 10
Did we try a different cable? Another port on the router/modem?

What do you get when you do an IPConfig in command prompt when this happens? I'd like to see the screenshot of that.

I'm assuming you have a modem/router in one setup? Or?

IPV6 isn't a major concern as it's barely utilized yet. You not getting an IPv4 address is a concern via DHCP. You may also want to try simply rebooting your modem/router as well and trying again.
Asus G20CB - Core i7 6700, Nvidia GTX980, 16GB Ram, 256GB SK Hynix SSD, 1TB Samsung SSD.

JustinThyme
Level 13
If you have some other software that has anything to do with your network config like gamefirst uninstall it.
IPV6 is of no concern. I actually have mine disabled.
If its not stable assigning a static IP it goes deeper than simple DHCP assignment.
This screams of hardware issues be it the MOBO or the router or cable.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

chevell65
Level 12
You are Replying to a post from 2014 guys.

chilinmichael
Level 10
Point well taken. Alrighty then lol
Asus G20CB - Core i7 6700, Nvidia GTX980, 16GB Ram, 256GB SK Hynix SSD, 1TB Samsung SSD.

Puffnstuff
Level 10
We've been necro'd.
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, AMD 3900X, EVGA 360 aio, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z Neo, Samsung 970 Pro NVME 512gb, WD Black NVME 1 TB, Crucial MX500 2tb, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP!, EVGA Nu Audio, CM HAF 932