cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Displeased with brand new 750JZ, help sorely needed!

Bjorn
Level 7
I bought this asus 750JZ a couple weeks ago, and I'm starting to regret my purchase..

I have some minor and major issues I will list here:

Comes with windows 8 (I'm running with windows 8.1).

Optimus.

Very bad screen, matte display, grainy colours.

Some of the Fn keys don't work, f.eks keyboard lighting and fn f9 (touchpad lock, smart gesture works around this).

Massive screen tearing, Low fps and bad performance in games like bf4 and watchdogs. bf4 averages 22-54 fps, (geforce experience settings)
On League of legends, I get under 100 fps most of the time.. yay.
Dark souls 2 hit's the 60 fps cap, but textures on walls and surroundings seem distorted while moving horizontally.

In Asus gpu Tweak my cards temp idles at 43 Celsius, and runs around 80 when I've spent a few hours on bf4.
The left copper heatsink is relatively cool, while the right one gets really hot. Not shure if one is for the nvidia card and the other
for intel integrated graphics.

I ran 3dmark "skydiver" and got a score of 16240. (seems normal?)

My friends ASUS G75VW with 3d display hits around 200 fps with the same settings I have on bf4 and crysis. and 300 in lol.

obviously I've set all the battery settings to max performance in every control panel I could find (nvidia, intel, and rightclicking the battery icon on desktop). Vsync is forced of.

In nvidia panel I've set the GTX card as main graphics processor.

Using Driver version 337.88 for the gtx880m, i have tried different drivers and made sure I deleted the old ones.

so far this laptop is not living up to what was promised and it's certainly not what I paid for.

Also I would like to add that the fans aren't silent (some videos and articles have claimed this).

Soo.. now I'm at an impasse, either I get some help or I return this garbage and find some other brand laptop.

Concerning the screens quality I would like to add that I've read "the hdmi port is unable to run with the nvidia card" is this true?

am I just wasting my time trying to find a solution, is Optimus really causing all of these problems? in that case, what can I do?
Returning the pc for a new one won't really solve anything if that is the case.
12 REPLIES 12

Darnassus
Status Under Review
For Watch Dogs, the game isn't properly working until they release a patch. Turning on VSync ingame makes your FPS like 10.

MrRuckus
Level 10
It sounds like you may be getting throttled. I would run something like the Asus GPU Tweak or MSI Afterburner and run them in the background when gaming. See if the GPU is throttling.

The more recent Nvidia GPU's can be problematic in laptops. The throttling issues really cause a lot of headaches. If it does turn out to be throttling, you can see if you can alleviate it by undervolting your CPU with the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and see if that will lower temps enough to eliminate the throttling.

You seemed to have hit all of the Optimus settings I have read about. Are you trying to game on Battery? You mention battery settings set to performance, but these laptops do not do well on Battery and trying to game. They really are meant to be desktop replacements and need power for gaming. Browsing on battery and light duty is fine, but gaming will put too much strain on the battery.

EDIT: You can also try disabling the Intel Graphics in device manager. I remember some saying you can do that to disable Optimus in a way. That may also drop temps in itself being that the Integrated graphics would no longer be running. (In theory anyway).
(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72

Not trying to game without the charger plugged in. 😉

I've been using the Asus GPU tweak, and it has a very weak interface for the 880m. It allows me to set GPU overclock on/off, and that's it.
It won't show fan speeds.

Tried Msi Afterburn today. CPU at roughly 60 - 80% and GPU stays stable at 99% loads after couple minutes in bf4.

Edit: Deactivated the intel4600 in device manager. After doing this, bf4 gives me a directx error message on launch.
League of legends starts up and runs at a whopping 5 fps..
Other games are not starting either.

you must have a defective unit. i got a brand new g750jz replacement because my graphics card went bad after 2 weeks. im gonna put this one threw some tests and if something goes wrong, i will be getting a refund.

other than that, i got great performance out of my defective one before it went bad. the stress test from the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility reported great results and every game ran smooth.

my fans started acting crazy and kept blowing intermittently. i suspect one wasn't working correctly because it hardly blew. some weird noise came from within the device every now and then.

this new one is probably a good build. is quiet. both fans work great and no weird noises.

i wouldn't put a defective unit past you.

take it back man! get what you want! its that easy. there is nothing you should have to do other than turn the darn thing on and play.

try alienware or msi, if you have the money.

like i said, if this one goes bad, im getting a refund!

Bjorn
Level 7
Well I'm not putting up with this ****. This pc is nothing but trouble, the reason I spent a whole lot of money on a laptop was to not have any issues, and they just keep stacking.
I hear about people returning pc's several times and issues still persist.

Alienware 18 any good? I can get a pc from Multicom with the 880m 8gb and similar specs to 750jz . Any thoughts?

Bjorn wrote:
Well I'm not putting up with this ****. This pc is nothing but trouble, the reason I spent a whole lot of money on a laptop was to not have any issues, and they just keep stacking.

Alienware 18 any good? I can get a pc from Multicom with the 880m 8gb and similar specs to 750jz . Any thoughts?

The Alienware's built with the 880m/870m/860m are having vbios issues, if you stick with the 770m/780m you should be ok.

Bjorn wrote:

There have been people complaining about the Alienware's with the 860/870/880, they are new and the vbios/drivers are still getting tuned. OC'ing seems problematic as the cooling is maxxed out at stock speeds, so people doing OC'ing are seeing their GPU throttle anyway, so no need to OC.

The G750JZ has better cooling, and if you swap your JZ for another one, you have a good shot at getting a good one - the JZ complaints have been few, most of the problems have been on the JM/JS.

If you want to skip all the Optimus crap, you can get a G750JH that will OC to the 880m levels, mine benchmarks faster than JZ's, and everything else is the same. The only thing you give up is battery life, but really, who wants to game on the Intel GPU on battery anyway 🙂

I know it is frustrating, but these G750's last a long time when you find a good one, so keep trying.

I see your point Scott, maybe I would be better off with 750JH.. At least you can get a good screen on that one.
It seems to me that any pc with the 800 series 4 GB cards has major issues at some point.

Not sure if I should contact Asus or the store I bought this pc on. I had originally bought a version with smaller HD, but when I opened up the package, it contained an old model with 670 card.

The next day I watched the clerk open every box they had in store,
only to discover they all contained the same low end model. Instead, they gave me the display model with 1tb diskspace

I want to be able to play upcoming games like The Witcher 3 and whatnot. Any thoughts on this?
I'd also like to hear from someone who has tried the "Trinity display" (graphics output to 3 screens)

Bjorn wrote:
I see your point Scott, maybe I would be better off with 750JH.. At least you can get a good screen on that one.
It seems to me that any pc with the 800 series 4 GB cards has major issues at some point.
Not sure if I should contact Asus or the store I bought this pc on. I had originally bought a version with smaller HD, but when I opened up the package, it contained an old model with 670 card.
The next day I watched the clerk open every box they had in store,
only to discover they all contained the same low end model. Instead, they gave me the display model with 1tb diskspace
I would like to be able to play upcoming games like The Witcher 3 and whatnot. Any thoughts on this?
I'd also like to hear from someone who has tried the "Trinity display" (graphics output to 3 screens)

Bjorn, the screen problem isn't a screen problem, it's a driver issue - out of spec parts is my guess.

Complaints have existed on both Chi Mei and AUO screens, but 2 Chi Mei Screens and 1 AUO screen later, and all my screens are vert/horiz line free.

Some tried replacing the screens, only to discover it wasn't the screen, because the lines were still there...

Other owners have RMA'd their laptop for the "screen lines" problem to Asus and gotten back a screen with no lines, so you could do that, but with multiple problems it probably would be best to return it for a refund, and shop elsewhere.

I have only run 2 external screens at once... DisplayPort and HDMI and internal screen.

That's weird about the mis-packaged laptops... wild... the 670 card is a bit old now... I don't think I would go for that unless you could get it for very cheap.

Do you have anywhere else to shop locally to get a G750?